Menu

Science Loving 2nd Grader: Need Chemistry Suggestions

My 2nd grade dd wants to study Chemistry this upcoming year, but I don't know what to use. She loves experiments and likes worksheets to go along with reading. We used Noeo Bio 1 this year, and it was just okay. It didn't have enough hands on for her liking, and the narration was only so-so. Despite our lack of love for the program, Noeo is still on the list of considerations for next year. But if we use this, should we use Chemi 1 or Chem 2? I see that most of the books used in Chem 2 are the same books used in Elemental Chemistry grammar program. So I guess I'm afraid Noeo Chem 1 could be too easy. I'm also looking at Real Science Odyssey, Mr. Q, and Christian Kids Explore Chem. So if you have used any of these and can give me some feedback, I'd really appreciate it. I'd especially like to know what ages you found it appropriate for, and how easy it was to do the experiments. Being in China, I either need to buy a science kit to go along with the program, or have things that are really easy to find and gather.

I haven't used it but I have seen a couple of people posting about using it with younger children. If she is really interested in chem it may be OK. it is the only curriculum I have heard lewelma/ruth from NZ recommend so it must be pretty good.

I was hoping if I mentioned it someone who has used it would chime in.

Just went to check. It says 8 to 13 so it would be marginal but if she is a bit advanced/very keen and you took it gently it might be a good choice still.

I haven't used it but I have seen a couple of people posting about using it with younger children. If she is really interested in chem it may be OK. it is the only curriculum I have heard lewelma/ruth from NZ recommend so it must be pretty good.

I was hoping if I mentioned it someone who has used it would chime in.

Just went to check. It says 8 to 13 so it would be marginal but if she is a bit advanced/very keen and you took it gently it might be a good choice still.

Thanks. I'll take a closer look at the samples and see how they look. I have only heard wonderful things about this program, so maybe we could make it work.

I liked RS4K Chemistry Level 1 with my 3rd grader. It was a nice intro to chemistry. I wasn't impressed with the Biology book, btw, and others have panned the physics, but I thought chemistry was pretty well done. The labs were mostly pretty basic kitchen household type things. You might look at the PreLevel1 and the Level1 and decide which you think is at your dd's level. I was on the fence about which to use with my 3rd grader, and was glad I opted for Level 1. It's definitely not a 5th-6th grade level program, IMO, I'd use McHenry or one of the others you are looking at with an older dc.

NOEO chem 1 was awesome with my third grader last year. It is packed with hands on. We looked at the bio this year and went another direction because it didn't look nearly as good as the chem.

If you want to supplement, I suggest looking at the science wiz kits. They are fantastic, work very well, and come with everything you need except water, a 9V battery, etc. but nit picky stuff like feathers, paper clips, test tubes, prisms, waxed paper, etc are supplied. The only thing you might need is the DNA kit requests denatured alcohol; you will do just fine by freezing 70% isopropyl alcohol (the stuff you clean cuts and earrings with). Those kits are fantastic and will definitely get done!

I used RSO Chemistry with my science loving 3rd grader, and he loved it. Their website indicates where you can get a kit, but most things are household items. Pandia's site also has a Try Before You Buy feature that has all the supplies listed, lots of sample lessons and labs, and the scope and sequence for the whole year. A lot of things can be modified or substituted if you need them to be. (We used stickers to build our atoms early in the year instead of laying marshmallows out on paper.) Also, if your child loves science, you may find that some of the labs are repeats of fun stuff you've already done at home. In our case, we skipped those labs and took our time with something else. The curriculum schedules 2 labs per week if you follow their pace. I think the e-books are on sale (30% off) for a couple of weeks. The code is on their Facebook page, but I think it's BEST.

The dissapearing spoon kindle edition is currently on sale at amazon for 2.99$

http://www.amazon.com/Disappearing-Spoon-Periodic-Elements-ebook/dp/B003JTHXZY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370626363&sr=8-1&keywords=the+dissapearing+spoon

I don't know if it is suitable for a 2nd grader (haven't read it yet), but I've heard that it is a very interesting chemistry book and it's a good find to save for later if you have a chemistry loving kid.

We used a combination of programs for chemistry (grades 2, 4&6) ellen McHenry has some great games for learning the elements, but is not big on labs. RSO has a lot of hands on labs with worksheets. We also added in extra labs from Magic School bus and other kits/ books.

The dissapearing spoon kindle edition is currently on sale at amazon for 2.99$

http://www.amazon.co...sapearing spoon

I don't know if it is suitable for a 2nd grader (haven't read it yet), but I've heard that it is a very interesting chemistry book and it's a good find to save for later if you have a chemistry loving kid.

A *great* book, but definitely not for a 2nd grader . . . more high school/adult level.

We really loved RSO Chemistry this year. We've done Life Science 1 and Earth Science 1 with them, and Chemistry 1 was just a natural progression. It was so very much fun and I feel like my daughter learned a lot. One thing I did as well (because she's pretty science-minded) was have her go through 101 Cool Science Experiments and note things that she'd like to try. Then, I wove those into our year as they fit with the course schedule or on bonus days if they didn't. We had tons of hands-on time in the lab (ahem, kitchen)!

Best of luck with choosing your curriculum :)

Thank you everyone for the great replies and suggestions. I think what I’m going to do is go with RSO and then add in some of the books Noeo uses as well as some of the ones you all suggested. I’m also going to buy the kit to help me with some of the hard to find items, and then try to gather the rest at the beginning of the year so I have my own “kit†ready to go.

Thanks, I think my daughter is really going to have fun with this!

Country, if your younger is as advanced as I remember your oldest being, you should go ahead and look at the free ACS Middle School Chemistry.

Thanks for the suggestions Elizabeth. Dd isn't as advanced as my oldest was, and I think ACS would probably be over her head. I'll take another look though, because I haven't checked it out in a while.

We did ACS's free middle school chemistry class, The Elements by Ellen McHenry, and a unit study at homeschoolshare.com. It was a fabulous year. If I had to choose just one, it would be The Elements--hands down. It does introduce indepth science concepts, but in a very kid-friendly way. Lots of analogies, games, songs, etc. It is accessible to younger ages.

I think Mr. Q might be a bit much for a second grader. Maybe. The experiments don't look like they're too much, but it's a lot of information and vocabulary. I'm planning to use it for my 3rd and 6th graders, and while I think the worksheets are too easy for the 6th grader, the information is good (and a reasonable prep for a high school chemistry class in a few years). I am not sure I would use it with the 3rd grader if it weren't for the 6th grader, unless the 3rd grader was highly motivated; mostly, I think my 3rd grader will enjoy the experiments and maybe pick up a bit of the vocab. So I suppose it would depend on what you wanted the 2nd grader to get out of it.