Menu

Five year old walks on toes all the time

She is driving me crazy. the doc says that she needs to stretch her feet every day 10x on a board, like toes on the edge and lower her heels to ground. She can do this but fights me and cries and wallers around on the ground etc, (my ds says she is my "special" child, I say she is a heathen!!)

But all day long she walks on her tip toes, we are all constantly saying "get off your toes Faith" she does for a minute then back up. She says it hurts to walk on her feet flat. drives me crazy, I know we are going to end up with surgery if she doesn't quit. should I tie her feet to boards? just kidding but it might work:tongue_smilie:

Welcome to my world! My 9yo dd has been tip-toe walking since she began walking. She plays soccer and all the moms as me if she's a ballerina! We've had in her pt and we bought her a little stretcher but she fights us tooth and nail. I will say this, the chances of surgery are slim. What is more likely is night time braces. These are painful and you will want to encourage her as much as possible to "not go there". Since she's only 5yo, I would set a timer for her and do the stretches with her. She can't be held responsible for this. But DO keep on it. That has been our biggest mistake...not being consistent.

As an encouragement, I have a friend who is 33yo and has tip-toed all her life as well. She prefers shoes with chunkier heals and stays away from step-classes:). This has in no way affected her negatively though. If you're really worried, go see a pt. But as long as you can get her stretching consistently, she should be able to kick the habit.

Since she's only 5yo, I would set a timer for her and do the stretches with her. She can't be held responsible for this. But DO keep on it. That has been our biggest mistake...not being consistent.

I'm gonna tie her to a board!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am the MOST inconsistent person on the planet. The kids look shocked when I say "we're doing school today"!! I'd rather laugh, plant a flower, fold clothes or lay on the floor watching my kids play. I like to tell stories and sing made up songs (this of course gets me the "you're killing me mom" look from the 17 yr old) does that count as school? Off to stretch her in her sleep~~ and put money in the 8 yr olds ToothFairy pillow.

Since she's only 5yo, I would set a timer for her and do the stretches with her. She can't be held responsible for this. But DO keep on it. That has been our biggest mistake...not being consistent.

I'm gonna tie her to a board!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am the MOST inconsistent person on the planet. The kids look shocked when I say "we're doing school today"!! I'd rather laugh, plant a flower, fold clothes or lay on the floor watching my kids play. I like to tell stories and sing made up songs (this of course gets me the "you're killing me mom" look from the 17 yr old) does that count as school? Off to stretch her in her sleep~~ and put money in the 8 yr olds ToothFairy pillow.

LOL! Yes, I know the frustration! This is one area though that I've just.let.go. I feel at this point after hounding her for what seems like forever, that she's going to have to decide she *wants* to quit. When she comes to that, then we will see some strides forward.

She is driving me crazy. the doc says that she needs to stretch her feet every day 10x on a board, like toes on the edge and lower her heels to ground. She can do this but fights me and cries and wallers around on the ground etc, (my ds says she is my "special" child, I say she is a heathen!!)

But all day long she walks on her tip toes, we are all constantly saying "get off your toes Faith" she does for a minute then back up. She says it hurts to walk on her feet flat. drives me crazy, I know we are going to end up with surgery if she doesn't quit. should I tie her feet to boards? just kidding but it might work:tongue_smilie:

Is this the only thing she does that's unusual? Is she sensitive to textures? Tags in clothing? Is it the bottom of her feet that hurt when she walks? Loud noises? Does she scratch her arm if you touch it lightly? Or.........?

If you notice other things, read The Out-of-Sync Child because toe walking is sometimes a symptom of a sensory problem that can be resolved by occupatinal therapy.

My ds8 did this. I first became aware of it when a family friend pointed it out to us while we were at the beach when he was three and a half. His ped. said he'd probably grow out of it as his body weight increased. We weren't all that worried because he ran, played soccer etc. But he did complain a lot about his legs being tired, not being able to walk long distances etc. At six, we (us and the pediatrician) were concerned enough to have him evaluated by a ped. orthopedist. Turns out his tendons were "tight" and too short and no amount of stretching could release them.

He had surgery to release his tendons in March 06. He spent about five months in a series of casts and walking boots, followed by pt to stretch the tendons and develop muscle tone. He is walking fine now and, not that it matters, but he's a faster runner as well!

I'd encourage you to have your dd evaluated asap. The surgeon told us that he likes to get these cases between five and six years before the brain "hard wires" a walking gait. And even though there are adults who still toe walk, if you look at their heels, they are usually underdeveloped and will cause problems later on.

If you'd like to talk more, pm me! HTH

Four out of five of my children do this or have done it. It has caused lots of remarks over the years, including anxiety from special-ed diagnostician s-i-l because apparently it is a marker for something. Autism? Can't remember. Anyway, my kids are all very athletic and FAST, as was DH, who was also a toe walker in childhood. My oldest grew out of it by 10, and my 10 ds has almost stopped. The youngest two still happily toe walk EVERYWHERE whenever they are barefoot. We have never teased them about it, or urged them to stop, or done special exercises, other than making sure they stretch those Achilles tendons and calf muscles well when doing any kind of sports practice. I didn't want them to have any more anxiety about it than they already had b/c of people's comments. Oldest daughter also danced Scottish Highland for years, which is done constantly on your toes, so I'm surprised she stopped toe-walking as soon as she did, :D, since the highland certainly didn't help.

My dad(63) walks on his toes as well as both of my brothers. Both of then were athletic, and one was Army and the other was a Marine. My ds(14) walks on his toes. The doctor just said he needed to stretch them, but he doesn't. As far as I know it doesn't cause any problems. My ds runs track and plays football with no problem. When he was little though he did have a lot of the symptoms another poster listed (sensitive to tags, noises, and a lot more). Hmm, very interesting.

ETA: Maybe I have a misunderstanding. My ds, dbs, and dad all walk on the balls of their feet. Maybe that is different than walking on toes.

My mother walked on her toes until she was 16 year old! My dd10........interesting I just realized that she hasn't been walking on her toes anymore! dd10 always used to walk on her toes. I was so worried about it, too.

Personally, I would just let her be. My mom was right. It will go away if you don't bring attention to it.

Maybe you could put her in ballet class where they will make it fun to stretch out those calves.;) I wonder if that is why my dd10 no longer walks on her toes. Humm?

I would see an orthopedist. Toe walking might not be a big deal if it is just a habit or stage but you said that she is telling you it HURTS to walk normally. That and the crying about the exercises would make me want to get her evaluated to make sure she actually CAN walk normally and doesn't have the short tendons like one poster mentioned.

If they say it is not physical, then keep after her, if it is a problem, then you can deal with it earlier rather than later.

I should add' date=' the thing that has made the most difference in 10 ds stopping is peer pressure from other boys his age. When he got old enough that it bothered him, he took the trouble to think about it, and has almost completely stopped over the last year or so.[/quote']

This is what I was told would happen but fortunately? unfortunately? she has great friends who never tease her...she's known most of her friends since she was 3yo so they're used to her toe-walking...

My ds8 did this. I first became aware of it when a family friend pointed it out to us while we were at the beach when he was three and a half. His ped. said he'd probably grow out of it as his body weight increased. We weren't all that worried because he ran, played soccer etc. But he did complain a lot about his legs being tired, not being able to walk long distances etc. At six, we (us and the pediatrician) were concerned enough to have him evaluated by a ped. orthopedist. Turns out his tendons were "tight" and too short and no amount of stretching could release them.

He had surgery to release his tendons in March 06. He spent about five months in a series of casts and walking boots, followed by pt to stretch the tendons and develop muscle tone. He is walking fine now and, not that it matters, but he's a faster runner as well!

I'd encourage you to have your dd evaluated asap. The surgeon told us that he likes to get these cases between five and six years before the brain "hard wires" a walking gait. And even though there are adults who still toe walk, if you look at their heels, they are usually underdeveloped and will cause problems later on.

If you'd like to talk more, pm me! HTH

I'm curious about a few things:

1. How did the orthopedist decide his tendons were "tight" and no stretching would heal that? Tests?

2. What did your ortho say would be the problem with leaving it alone?

DD hasn't been to the pt since she was 6yo. Not one person had any worry that she would need surgery, unless she didn't stretch. She went straight from a ped to a pt...no ortho in the middle or after. She does complain that it hurts behind her knees if she goes down on flat feet. Always whines and cries over having to walk flat foot. I do notice some interesting posture and balancing with her. But when I took her in, it was treated almost as if it were nothing to worry about and I hear that more than the "oh no, there's something wrong, we need to have surgery...." So in return, I've treated it as if it weren't a big deal. I honestly can't see her stopping or growing out of it.

My ds (9) is a toe walker. It started at birth. Dr. always said he would eventually grow out of it. I'm still waiting.

From what I know, toe walking on its own is not a concern...at any age. I was told to watch for additional symptoms. Doctors always ask if he is developing mentally and socially as he should be? He is. One dr. told me to start physical therapy. One referred me to a neurologist. Each doctor has a different opinion. I'm burned out on opinions. He is a normal kids...who just walks on his toes.

I also have been told his weight would eventually force him to flatten out his feet (this was the last dr. we saw when he turned 8...the one that said he is a normal kid that just walks on this toes). His toes seem to be handling 78 pounds just fine.

I have tried to walk on my toes for a while just to see if I could do it. After about 60 seconds I was done. I don't know how (or why) he does it.

As a mom I share your concern. Certainly it should be watched and discussed with a doctor during regular visits. There are times when toe walking is a symptom of a larger issue. But take heart...because sometimes it isn't.

That's just my opinion!

Emily

I have a niece who walked on her toes. I kept telling my sister she needed to make her walk flat on her feet, but her pediatrician told her it was not a big deal. Well, by the age of 5 or 6, my niece had to be pushed around in a stroller at the mall, amusement parks, etc. because her legs hurt if she walked too long. She's now 12 yo, her ligaments (or tendons?) are permanently shortened, and she walks and runs with a strange-looking gait. My sister was so mad at her pediatrician when she found out her dd has permanent damage. She did have pt, but her legs still hurt when she walks or runs for any amount of time. She also did ballet and soccer, but eventually quit both of them because of the pain.

We fought this too. For. Years. Some things that helped:

1. I had to be ON this all the time. "Walk on your whole foot, DD." "Walk heel-toe, DD." I tried to couch the instruction in positive ways as often as possible. I know it's exhausting.

2. I had DD wear shoes inside. This helped quite a bit. She is MUCH more likely to toe-walk if she is barefoot/in socks.

3. Exercises. The exercises helped her awareness that she did have a bad habit.

This was apparently hereditary, as DH toe-walks, walks on the sides of his feet, shuffles along in more of a controlled fall than a walk, etc. Argh! I had to laugh at the post that Waldorf schools look for this to naturally stop to indicate 1st grade readiness--if I followed that DD would STILL be in K!!! Reminds me of waiting to potty train until the child wants to--DD would still be in diapers! She just didn't care. She took FOREVER to train.

Sorry to get off-track. I feel your pain, but your DD doesn't understand the long-term effects of toe-walking like you do, so I encourage you to keep on her case (nicely) to change her habit for her benefit.

Is this the only thing she does that's unusual? Is she sensitive to textures? Tags in clothing? Is it the bottom of her feet that hurt when she walks? Loud noises? Does she scratch her arm if you touch it lightly? Or.........?

If you notice other things, read The Out-of-Sync Child because toe walking is sometimes a symptom of a sensory problem that can be resolved by occupatinal therapy.

No way!!! That is something I have not ever thought about! Thank you I will start looking at those symptoms!!

1. How did the orthopedist decide his tendons were "tight" and no stretching would heal that? Tests?

DD hasn't been to the pt since she was 6yo. Not one person had any worry that she would need surgery, unless she didn't stretch. She went straight from a ped to a pt...no ortho in the middle or after. She does complain that it hurts behind her knees if she goes down on flat feet. Always whines and cries over having to walk flat foot. I do notice some interesting posture and balancing with her. But when I took her in, it was treated almost as if it were nothing to worry about and I hear that more than the "oh no, there's something wrong, we need to have surgery...." So in return, I've treated it as if it weren't a big deal. I honestly can't see her stopping or growing out of it.

Carli,

we have to do something with our toe dancers!! It sounds serious. My pediatrician told us to stretch them and do it everyday so it must mean something. And I know that I have heard that if you don't stop them they will have to eventually have to have surgery if the tendons and ligaments don't stretch, so off I go to yell "get on that toe stretching board!!!"

He did a complete in-office evaluation: running, walking, and physically checking the tendons (tried to stretch the tendons into a normal, flat footed walking position)

Believe me, we surely didn't expect to leave the office that day with a surgery appointment. We had for a year or more tried "reminding" him to walk on his whole foot. He could do it, but it changed his stance and walking gait and he just couldn't do it for long. I guess it reached a head when we were in Disneyworld in the summer of 05 and we had to push this 5.5yo healthy boy around in a stroller because he just couldn't make it otherwise.

And honestly, our ped didn't really make a big deal about it til he was six and there had been no improvement whatsoever and when she tried to flex his foot up, it would not go. That's when she referred us to the orth.

As far leaving it alone, he was definitely on the don't leave it for later camp. And I'm glad we didn't wait. His stamina, and comfort have dramatically improved!

Guest kacifl

She started about 3 and continued until almost six. Then is just stopped.

She would mostly do it when she was barefoot, which happens alot in Florida. K

My mother walked on her toes until she was 16 year old! My dd10........interesting I just realized that she hasn't been walking on her toes anymore! dd10 always used to walk on her toes. I was so worried about it, too.

Personally, I would just let her be. My mom was right. It will go away if you don't bring attention to it.

Maybe you could put her in ballet class where they will make it fun to stretch out those calves.;) I wonder if that is why my dd10 no longer walks on her toes. Humm?

Starting ballet this fall!!!:001_smile: I hope something works!!

No way!!! That is something I have not ever thought about! Thank you I will start looking at those symptoms!!

Guess what? I am getting the book. She is very easily irritated if you touch her and she rubs where you touch her lightly. Thank you

Guess what? I am getting the book. She is very easily irritated if you touch her and she rubs where you touch her lightly. Thank you

You might also search the Special Needs boards. A lot of parents there have children with SPD and they can give you a lot of hints. The most important one is to find a good occupational therapist (or very rare physical therapist) that has training and experience in SPD(SID)

• 2 weeks later...

Bringing this to the top to ask for your prayers. A day or two after this thread began I made an appt. for dd to see her ped. I just pm'd Jolash for some advice but I'd also ask for your prayers if you can. I'm nervous for her. This issue has not left my mind for long over the past few months actually, so when this thread began, my heart sank. I'm praying she doesn't need surgery but that if she does, it can wait until her soccer season is over. She is a die-hard for her team and it would crush her if she had to quit before the season is out. Not to mention I'm having surgery in 2 weeks and won't be able to do anything about her issues until about 6 weeks after.

:iagree: That's what I was thinking. My oldest ds was the same way.