Menu

I want something to read....

Happy

I'd love a list of fun, interesting, upbeat fiction books to read this summer. Winners--engaging characters, solid story lines, and happy endings. Beach books about being at the beach would be lovely since I probably won't get to go myself...I enjoy romance, sci-fi, mystery and non-fiction. (A sci-fi romance with a mysterious story line based on some historical area or event would be dandy. :hurray: ) Any suggestions? Really entertaining non-fiction would work, too.

I just finished Surviving the Island of Grace: Life on the Wild Edge of America by Leslie Leyland Fields. It is nonfiction, but I was completely enthralled with her depiction of her life in Alaska as a commercial fisherman. Not exactly the beach you had in mind, but it was such a good read! She is a Christian, but I would not call it a Christian book at all--not all Bible quotes or anything (not that there is anything wrong with that).

I also loved The Geography of Bliss, above; very interesting.

I will have to try to think of some fiction titles, which is what I most commonly read. Hoping some people will add to this; now that school is almost out I look forward to some summer reading!!

Sarah

Anything by Sarah Jio, starting with Violets of March.

Agreed. I resisted Violets (as I tend not to like that particular framing device), but I really enjoyed it.

Elin Hilderbrand writes engaging beachy books; I think they're all set on Nantucket.

I've been enjoying Georgette Heyer's Regency romances. So far I've read Cotillion, The Black Sheep, The Foundling, and The Convenient Marriage, and I'm in the middle of Frederica - they're all *awesome*. Great characters, fun plots, and happy endings :).

Bill Bryson's I'm a Stranger Here Myself is hilarious

Jenny Lawson's, Let's Pretend This Never Happened

The Amelia Peabody's are awesome, just got my Mom into them.

For old school fantasy, I recently fell in love with the Demon Cycle series by Peter V. Brett, best I've read in a long time.

One of my favorite, totally ridiculous summer reads are the MEG books by Steve Alten

http://www.stevealten.com/meg.htm