Menu

What are some good books to read with a 3rd/4th grader?

My dd will be in 4th next school year. I'm getting my orders together and I want to use some of the MBtP literature guides. The ones we'll do are in the 7-9 level (she's not an overly advanced reader yet). Of of 12 titles, we chose these:

Tornado

Sarah Plain and Tall

Who Was Helen Keller?

Morning Girl

Poppy

Charlotte's Web

I looked over the Memoria Press lit guides for 3rd and 4th and I think I might add these books (but probably not the MP lit guides...I don't want every book we read to have a guide with it)...but I am still unsure about these 3 (right now I could take 'em or leave 'em).

Homer Price

The Moffats

Lassie Come Home

I googled 4th grade reading list and found this. But....ugh, there isn't a single book listed there that I want her to read. Who on earth made that list? I wasn't able to google a 3rd grade list because I'm having some computer glitches. So, I came here. Can you help me out with some book titles that might interest a young girl?

ETA: Mostly I'll be reading to her, or we'll take turns. She still loves me reading to her....plus I want to enjoy these stories with her too. Who knows...maybe this is enough to read already with all the other stuff we have to do.

Funny. I had also looked at the same list and came away with the same feeling. I wouldn't recommend such emotional books to that age range.

I found that when I took a closer look I did find some one that I liked, or want to try.

They did have some ones on the list I liked as read alouds:

The Cricket in Times Square (But this book I think should be listened to via audio book due to the music inserted onto the CD)

James and the Giant Peach. We all enjoyed the Dahl books even though they aren't the favorite. To many people behaving rudely or unkindly for us to want to reread them. But to us they are worth one read.

Jumanji.

Bunnicula. (They recommend the "Meets Edgar Allan Crow", but I personally think the first book is the best and they series goes downhill after that. Quickly downhill)

I do want to try, "The Not-Just-Anybody Family", one day. I also really like the books by Gary Paulsen, but I don't want to read them outloud yet since Youngest will listen in. But I see Eldest maybe being ready for some of them. I do know with that author it's good to preread or find a detailed summary.

I saw that list some other time. There are good books on there... Journey to Jo'berg, Sakado, James and the Giant Peach, The Book of Three, The Great Brain... those are all excellent literature for this age. And there are some good light books on there for hooking readers. My boys adore all of Bone, for example. It's one of the best graphic novel series of all time. And the Chet Gecko books are very amusing. Many of the picture books are good, but they're things we've read ages ago, like Crickwing. And things like Pirateology and Wimpy Kid are just... I mean, they're fine and all, but hardly the best. It's just a very weird list.

The MBtP books... Tornado is really, really short and easy, fyi.

The Memoria books you've chosen are all fine. Homer Price is more of a "boy" book, though it's very good. The Moffats isn't a favorite of mine. I think of that ordinary sibling genre, I much prefer The Saturdays or The Penderwicks, but it's a personal preference.

If you're trying to span different genres, you could add some fantasy. If you say what she has liked, then maybe I could give more ideas...

I could suggest things, but I think this calls for a Lori D. sorted list. ;)

That list is bizarre! How about nancy drew? Baby sitters club? Has she outgrown Junie b jones?

Thank you for mentioning Nancy Drew. She loves the old Nancy Drew tv shows. I think I have a bunch of the old hardback books somewhere....I know we'll have fun reading those! Baby sitters club.....eh, not so sure about that. I think Junie is too sassy so I won't let her read those. :001_unsure:

Harry potter?

Thanks for the idea....but we don't watch or read HP.

Funny. I had also looked at the same list and came away with the same feeling. I wouldn't recommend such emotional books to that age range.

I found that when I took a closer look I did find some one that I liked, or want to try.

They did have some ones on the list I liked as read alouds:

The Cricket in Times Square (But this book I think should be listened to via audio book due to the music inserted onto the CD)

James and the Giant Peach. We all enjoyed the Dahl books even though they aren't the favorite. To many people behaving rudely or unkindly for us to want to reread them. But to us they are worth one read.

Jumanji.

Bunnicula. (They recommend the "Meets Edgar Allan Crow", but I personally think the first book is the best and they series goes downhill after that. Quickly downhill)

I do want to try, "The Not-Just-Anybody Family", one day. I also really like the books by Gary Paulsen, but I don't want to read them outloud yet since Youngest will listen in. But I see Eldest maybe being ready for some of them. I do know with that author it's good to preread or find a detailed summary.

It's hard for me to want to even try most of those because they don't interest *me* at all.

:blush:

I saw that list some other time. There are good books on there... Journey to Jo'berg, Sakado, James and the Giant Peach, The Book of Three, The Great Brain... those are all excellent literature for this age. And there are some good light books on there for hooking readers. My boys adore all of Bone, for example. It's one of the best graphic novel series of all time. And the Chet Gecko books are very amusing. Many of the picture books are good, but they're things we've read ages ago, like Crickwing. And things like Pirateology and Wimpy Kid are just... I mean, they're fine and all, but hardly the best. It's just a very weird list.

The MBtP books... Tornado is really, really short and easy, fyi.

The Memoria books you've chosen are all fine. Homer Price is more of a "boy" book, though it's very good. The Moffats isn't a favorite of mine. I think of that ordinary sibling genre, I much prefer The Saturdays or The Penderwicks, but it's a personal preference.

If you're trying to span different genres, you could add some fantasy. If you say what she has liked, then maybe I could give more ideas...

I could suggest things, but I think this calls for a Lori D. sorted list. ;)

Thanks for your thoughts. Maybe I should rethink Tornado. I know it's put as the first lit book in that MBtP package because it's easy.....but this is the 7-9 age range, so maybe it's too easy.

I'll have to look at The Saturdays and The Penderwicks and see what they are like.

As for fantasy, I forgot that I have a copy of The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles from when oldest dd was young. She was given it as a gift from an old gentleman who used to be a teacher. She loved that book so much that after reading it she wanted the other title by the same author, Mandy. I have that one somewhere too.

Reading aloud chapter books is a bit new to me. Once my older kids could read chapter books, they just read them on their own (well, scratch my ds off that...he really hardly ever reads). This dd does read books on her own, but loves having me read to her. I want to enjoy that too, since this is my baby. This past winter we read The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (one of my favs as a kid). We enjoyed that. Right now she's having me read to her The Millie Mollie Mandy Storybook (which is more of a younger kids book...but she doesn't mind, she loves it). Anyway, I'm rambling again...

Understood Betsy is a favorite of mine.

The sequels to Sarah Plain and Tall are good too.

My upcoming fourth grader will read the American Girl books over and over.

The Hundred Dresses

The Velveteen Rabbit (might be too easy, but my girls will read this over and over)

Misty of Chiconteague

The Princess and Curdie

Five Children and It (I did not like it, but my children did)

I'm always wanting to find a must-do checklist that I will like, but that is never going to happen as I know my priorities and worldview are pretty unique.

And lists of endless ideas just overwhelm me.

Are you looking for a short must-do checklist, or a long list of ideas?

I lead a book club the last two years when ds was in 3rd and 4th. Here are the books. LAST YEAR:

The Trumpet and the Swan

Because of Winn Dixie

The Borrowers

Abridged version of Swiss Family Robinson

THIS YEAR:

Charlotte's Web

A Cricket in Times Square

The Tale of Despereaux

The Railway Children (Librivox)

The Incredible Journey

The Secret Garden (Librivox version 2 is great!)

Thanks everyone for the good ideas. Guess what I just found this morning? A box of some books including The Borrowers, Skylark, A Little Princess, and The Secret Garden. Whoo hoo! And I forgot that dd won last year at the library a 3 boxed set including the Tale of Desperaux & Because of Winn Dixie (we read the other one last year, something about a tiger....it was ok I guess). Then a few months ago I found on the library for sale shelf the audio cds for Desperaux for $1.00. I also got Understood Betsy for free. Oh, another one for Memoria Press 4th grade is Heidi, that might be a good one. Hunter, I guess I just wanted a short list of some good ones to read aloud together this year...but it's looking like we might have enough. :001_smile:

I'm C&Ping this from another post, but these are the books we've tentatively set aside for my rising 3rd grader next year. Granted, he's a boy, but I'm not sure that really matters. Good literature is good literature, IMO:

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

The BFG

Farmer Boy

Little House on the Prairie

My Side of the Mountain

Julie of the Wolves

Gregor the Overlander

Sign of the Beaver

The Witch of Blackbird Pond

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

FWIW, we've read a handful of books from the link you posted this past year. Sadako and the 1,000 Paper Cranes was a quick, fast read and while sad, he did really enjoy it. It opened the door to some very good conversations at home too, and, of course, it meant we had to also attempt our hand at making our own paper cranes. We read Tornado and Sarah, Plain and Tall this past year. Again, both are fairly short, easy books but still worthwhile IMO.

•  

Has your daughter read the American Girl historical fiction books yet? They are really good stories, great for that reading level, and teach a lot about American History in the process. Can't recommend them enough, and they'll keep her reading for a while. They have some spin-off mysteries that are pretty good, too.

For literature, some of the books my 4th grader enjoyed in that range:

- Where the Mountain Meets the Moon

- D'aulairesBook of Norse Mythology (I read the Greek/Roman to her last year as a read-aloud, and she did Norse this year as an independent read)

- The Egypt Game

- The Cat Who Went to Heaven

- City of Ember

- The Graveyard Book

- Number the Stars

- A Wrinkle in Time (and its sequels)

By the way, I noticed Diary of a Wimpy Kid is on that list. My kids both enjoy those books, and trust me, they wouldn't normally have been on my radar. But I'll just throw out there that there is deceptively complex language in those books. Don't let the scribble-font and stick figure illustrations fool you. While I make no comment about the quality of the content, the vocabulary and sentence complexity is several steps above where you might expect, and for that reason I do think they are worth having kids read. They are great transition books, as they make elevated language use accessible. (Kind of in the same way I think Geronimo Stilton books are great transition books from early reader->chapter books. They *bring it up a notch* in a way that does not intimidate kids.)

No, no, no! The Moffats are so hilarious. They are a big hit here. I disliked the Penderwicks, and, while we all liked The Saturdays (especially the one story at the circus), the next book in the series was such a snore we dropped them. In contrast, my kids and I have liked almost every Eleanor Estes book we've read! The characters are really wacky. If you can find The Family from One End Street, it's an interesting read; sort of like The Moffats or The Saturdays, with very much working class / poor parents. And it beat out The Hobbit for a reading award. Ha!

By the way, Farrar, one of our current read-alouds is Our Only May Amelia, which I found out about from you.

No, no, no! The Moffats are so hilarious. They are a big hit here. I disliked the Penderwicks, and, while we all liked The Saturdays (especially the one story at the circus), the next book in the series was such a snore we dropped them. In contrast, my kids and I have liked almost every Eleanor Estes book we've read! The characters are really wacky. If you can find The Family from One End Street, it's an interesting read; sort of like The Moffats or The Saturdays, with vety much working class / poor parents. And it beat out The Hobbit for a reading award. Ha!

By the way, Farrar, one of our current read-alouds is Our Only May Amelia, which I found out about from you.

No! The Saturdays sequels are the best! The Four-Story Mistake has an entire chapter devoted to observing one moth in the window at night. There can be nothing boring about it! It's one of the more beautiful things ever written in children's literature. It's a better ode to nature than even Gone-Away Lake! I had not read The Moffats until we did it for the kids. I did like Ginger Pye, but after the flop of the Moffats, I don't know if the kids will go for it. But I'll have to look for The Family from One End Street. I don't know that one.

Oh, I hope you're enjoying May Amelia. We listened to the sequel on audiobook and we all agreed that the reader was terrible so I don't recommend that at all (though the second book is just as good as the first). I don't know how one could possibly read May Amelia's voice as flat when it's clearly extremely animated.

This is my Year Three literature list:

Heidi by Joanna Spyri

The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes

The Heroes by Charles Kingsley

The Moffats by Eleanor Estes

Ordinary Princess by Mary Margaret Kaye

Homer Price by Robert McCloskey

Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder

With these as additional choices:

On the Banks of Plum Creek by Laura I. Wilder

Prince Caspian by C.S.Lewis

Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis

Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia Maclachlan

Skylark by Patricia Maclachlan

Ginger Pye by Eleanor Estes

Pinky Pye by Eleanor Estes

The Doll People by Ann Martin and Laura Godwin

The Meanest Doll in the World by Ann Martin and Laura Godwin

The Family Under the Bridge by Natalie S. Carlson

The King of Ireland's Son by Padraic Colum

Baby Island by Carol Ryrie Brink

This is my Year Four literature list:

The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien

The Wheel on the School by Meindert Dejong

Otto of the Silver Hand by Howard Pyle

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin

The Phantom Tollbooth by Norman Jester

The Good Master by Kate Seredy

Kensuke's Kingdom by Michael Morpurgo

With these as additional choices:

The Birchbark House by Louise Erdich

The Big Wave by Pearl S. Buck

Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll

The Saturdays by Elizabeth Enright

The Little Lame Prince by Dinah Maria Mulock (Craik)

Amos Fortune, Free Man by Elizabeth Yates

The Treasure Seekers by Edith Nesbit

Jason and the Golden Fleece by Padraic Colum

The Wouldbegoods by Edith Nesbit

Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink

Ballet Shoes by Noel Streatfeild

Bambi by Felix Salten

Book of Pirates by Howard Pyle

The Wonder Clock by Howard Pyle

The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall

The Penderwicks on Gardam Street by Jeanne Birdsall

The Penderwicks at Point Mouette by Jeanne Birdsall

The Whipping Boy by Sid Fleischman

Tree of Freedom by Rebecca Caudill

Gone-Away Lake by Elizabeth Enright

The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis

The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis

The Horse and His Boy by C.S. Lewis

The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis

By the Shores of Silver Lake by L.I. Wilder

Norse Stories: Retold From the Eddas by Hamilton Wright Mabie

The Cat Who Went to Heaven by Elizabeth Coatsworth

Sadako and the 1000 Paper Cranes by Eleanor Coerr

The Great Little Madison by Jean Fritz

Starry River of the Sky by Grace Lin

No! The Saturdays sequels are the best! The Four-Story Mistake has an entire chapter devoted to observing one moth in the window at night. There can be nothing boring about it! It's one of the more beautiful things ever written in children's literature. It's a better ode to nature than even Gone-Away Lake! I had not read The Moffats until we did it for the kids. I did like Ginger Pye, but after the flop of the Moffats, I don't know if the kids will go for it. But I'll have to look for The Family from One End Street. I don't know that one.

Well, I got them The Four Story Mistake on cd from the library, so maybe I'll give it a go as a read aloud. It was roundly rejected, though. Hmm.

Ginger Pye is pretty amusing. I farmed it heavily for dictation for my son. It's quirkier than the Moffats. Incidentally the Pyes live in the same town as the Moffats but have nothing to do with them. In Ginger Pye, they are trying to solve a crime (dog-napping); in a way this is similar to The Alley, in which the kids (neighbors, this time, not siblings) try to solve a robbery. I tried its sequel,and it was rejected by my daughter for anti-girl statements. She is quite amused by the notion of being the only girl with so many boys around ( May Amelia). I think she liked the book until the story of the ghost of the man who committed suicide popped up. I think it's a bit rougher than she was ready for. But it's an interesting book. And it features the present tense! Hooray.

Here are some additional ones on a list I've been making for my DS the past few weeks...I had quite a few which were mentioned but here are some I don't remember seeing on this post:

Shiloh

Sounder

In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson

The Story of Dr. Doolittle

From the Mixed Up Files...

Maniac Magee

Holes

Twenty and Ten

Flight of the Phoenix

The Earth Dragon Awakes

The Borrowers

The Secret Zoo

Artemis Fowl

Owls in the Family

The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg

The Long Way from Chicago

The Iron Giant

The Whipping Boy

Secrets At Sea

The White Giraffe

The Sign of the Beaver

Eragon

My dd is a bit younger but she really enjoyed:

All of a Kind Family

Little House in the Big Woods and Little House on the Prairie

Baby Island

The World of Pooh

The 21 Balloons

Check out HOD's storytime selections for Beyond and Bigger as well as the DITHR packs for levels 2-4/5 we own many of these and the kids have enjoyed them.

I'm C&Ping this from another post, but these are the books we've tentatively set aside for my rising 3rd grader next year. Granted, he's a boy, but I'm not sure that really matters. Good literature is good literature, IMO:

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

The BFG

Farmer Boy

Little House on the Prairie

My Side of the Mountain

Julie of the Wolves

Gregor the Overlander

Sign of the Beaver

The Witch of Blackbird Pond

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

FWIW, we've read a handful of books from the link you posted this past year. Sadako and the 1,000 Paper Cranes was a quick, fast read and while sad, he did really enjoy it. It opened the door to some very good conversations at home too, and, of course, it meant we had to also attempt our hand at making our own paper cranes. We read Tornado and Sarah, Plain and Tall this past year. Again, both are fairly short, easy books but still worthwhile IMO.

•  

Thanks for this. I was looking for good books for my rising 3rd grade boy. He read the Little House series last year and really enjoyed it, especially Farmer Boy.

OP, I know you've got gobs already and probably don't need any more recommendations but I think Shannon Hale has some great books for girls a little bit older than yours (Princess Academy and The Books of Bayern series). Might be worth looking at in the future.

My 4th grade son just read Frindle and loved it. I read it when he was done, and I loved it, too. :001_tt1: (He also recommends Time Warp Trio and Awfully Beastly Business, but I'm not sure I'd categorize those as "read-withs." ;) )

Oh, and he just added that he gives a big thumbs DOWN to Black Ships Before Troy. He says no child should have to read or listen to such a boring book. He said that there are much better books about the Trojan War. As an aside, I just read The Lantern Bearers, also by Rosemary Sutcliff, about the sunset of Rome in Britain and the very beginnings of Arthur (he is just an auxiliary character but shows up again in later books) and I loved it SO MUCH that I a) plan to make my children listen to me reading it and b.) went to a library that I haven't visited in (literally) seven years and paid off my fine there so I could borrow the sequel (Sword at Sunset) through their Overdrive (e-book) system. I have to say, though, that I agree with my son that Black Ships Before Troy was hideous.

Tara

That's funny, TaraTheLiberator, neither of my kids liked Frindle, lol. I haven't read it though, so I don't have an opinion.

My 4th grader recently read and loved:

Follow My Leader

Along Came a Dog

A Llama in the Family.

I would look at Sonlight's Reader package for her age and see what you think of those. We have had pretty good luck with their selections.

My 4th grader ds also read (on his own) and liked:

Emily's Runaway Imagination

Mr. Popper's Penguins

Henry Huggins

The House on Walenska Street

Ds 10 recently read Homer Price over again even though we already read it together a year or 2 ago. He also tends to make references to that book so I know he really likes it. He thinks it's hilarious. It's one that he enjoys a lot more than I do, but power to him because there's nothing I object to.

HTH

On some other post a few weeks ago, somebody posted the Mensa Kids reading lists. (Note, IMHO your kids do not need to be anywhere near Mensa-level to enjoy these books. :))

I really liked the list a lot, so I'll share. :)

For kids in Kindy-3rd grade http://www.mensaforkids.org/ReaderAward/k_3.pdf

Kids 4th-6th http://www.mensaforkids.org/ReaderAward/4_6.pdf

Kids 7th-8th http://www.mensaforkids.org/ReaderAward/7_8.pdf

Kids 9th-12th grade http://www.mensaforkids.org/ReaderAward/9_12.pdf

That's funny, TaraTheLiberator, neither of my kids liked Frindle, lol. I haven't read it though, so I don't have an opinion.

My 4th grader recently read and loved:

Follow My Leader

Along Came a Dog

A Llama in the Family.

I would look at Sonlight's Reader package for her age and see what you think of those. We have had pretty good luck with their selections.

My 4th grader ds also read (on his own) and liked:

Emily's Runaway Imagination

Mr. Popper's Penguins

Henry Huggins

The House on Walenska Street

Ds 10 recently read Homer Price over again even though we already read it together a year or 2 ago. He also tends to make references to that book so I know he really likes it. He thinks it's hilarious. It's one that he enjoys a lot more than I do, but power to him because there's nothing I object to.

HTH

I'll check into these suggestions...thanks! I've never read Homer Price myself...do you think that it would appeal to girls too?

On some other post a few weeks ago, somebody posted the Mensa Kids reading lists. (Note, IMHO your kids do not need to be anywhere near Mensa-level to enjoy these books. :))

I really liked the list a lot, so I'll share. :)

For kids in Kindy-3rd grade http://www.mensafork...erAward/k_3.pdf

Kids 4th-6th http://www.mensafork...erAward/4_6.pdf

Kids 7th-8th http://www.mensafork...erAward/7_8.pdf

Kids 9th-12th grade http://www.mensafork...rAward/9_12.pdf

I like these lists a lot...thanks for posting them!

Here's what we've liked and read in the last year and a half or so. I hadn't realized until I started listing how much we've read/ listened to. Almost all has been either us reading aloud or audiobooks.

All of the Oz books by Baum (on librivox)

Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass

Half Magic

All the books by E. Nesbit

Dragon of the Lost Sea series

Wrinkle in Time

Narnia books

Little House books

All the Moffat books (I'm not wild about them, but they like them), along with Ginger Pye and Pinkie Pye)

The Penderwicks series

Bunnicula series

The Saturdays (series)

Birchbark House (series)

The Green Glass Sea

The Secret Garden

A Cricket in Times Square (audiobook)

Series of Unfortunate Events

Warriors series (my daughter loves to read these)

Mr. Popper's Penguins

Stuart Little (didn't like that one much)

Trumpet of the Swan (loved it)

Phantom Tollbooth

Owls in the Family

My Side of the Mountain

Charlie's Raven

pretty much all the books by Andrew Clements

all the books by Roald Dahl

The Nurse Matilda series

Pippi Longstocking

Misty of Chincoteague

Goony Bird Green series

The Sign of the Beaver

Because of Winn Dixie

Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher

Mrs. Piggle Wiggle series (reread)

The Great Turkey Walk

Tale of Despereaux

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane

The Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankenweiler

Preacher's Boy

The Midwife's Apprentice

Shiloh (series) - older daughter only

The Wheel on the School

The Family Under the Bridge

20 and Ten

Doctor Doolittle series

How to Eat Fried Worms

The Borrowers

Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing and Superfudge

I tried really hard to get them to read the Ramona books, but they really don't like Beverly Cleary

The Year of Miss Agnes

Detectives in Togas

Boxcar Children (series that goes on forever)

Dolphin Adventure/ Dolphin Treasure

Follow My Leader

Ivy and Bean

American Girls books

the first three Betsy-Tacy books

Wind in the Willows

The Reluctant Dragon