Menu

S/O hair color?

gardenmom5

for those who use boxed color *to cover gray*, what is your favorite brand? and why?

Now that I'm wearing my hair short, I'm thinking of doing my own to save money. I really don't want to go gray, it looks mousy on me, and my dh only has a touch of gray at his temple. (though it's thinning.) He's in his 60's.

If you have short hair, you can save money by buying your own color and developer at Sally's and just mix what you need.

I like Ion and Wella's colors.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/hair-dye/ION88,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair05

I use a 20% developer

Because I have short hair, I get two or more colorings out of the color. An 8 oz bottle of the developer lasts me through 3-4 colorings.

Ratio of haircolor to developer is 1:2. Pick a color and then ask an associate if you need a stronger developer. 20% seems to be the default for at-home coloring.

Good luck!

If you have short hair, you can save money by buying your own color and developer at Sally's and just mix what you need.

I like Ion and Wella's colors.

I use a 20% developer

Because I have short hair, I get two or more colorings out of the color. An 8 oz bottle of the developer lasts me through 3-4 colorings.

Ratio of haircolor to developer is 1:2. Pick a color and then ask an associate if you need a stronger developer. 20% seems to be the default for at-home coloring.

Good luck!

I love your hair color in your avatar!

(I hope that doesn't freak you out or anything...the last time I said something nice about someone's avatar picture she never responded and then chnaged it.)

I like L'Oreal, the one where you color, then "paint" highlights on top of the color.

I think it looked better on me than one color--that always looked too matte to me, too one-dimensional.

I've let it go gray the past few years, tho--I'm enjoying my own, natural highlights...

.the last time I said something nice about someone's avatar picture she never responded and then chnaged it.

Wow. That's a bit touchy.

f5b0c7f9f3a31afb927afd4fc07c0cde.jpg

I would feel happy and flattered. :)

I'm going more and more gray. I'm most probably going to first try Lush's Henna. Been doing a lot of reading - their reviews and other sites. It's a lot of work, but most seem happy with it and it's natural. I first learned about it on these forums a year or so ago. I can't find the thread, however. I think it was Mrs. Mungo who said that she uses it.

Wow. That's a bit touchy.

f5b0c7f9f3a31afb927afd4fc07c0cde.jpg

I would feel happy and flattered. :)

I'm going more and more gray. I'm most probably going to first try Lush's Henna. Been doing a lot of reading - their reviews and other sites. It's a lot of work, but most seem happy with it and it's natural. I first learned about it on these forums a year or so ago. I can't find the thread, however. I think it was Mrs. Mungo who said that she uses it.

Maybe I freaked her out...or maybe it was not related at all, just happened to happen at the same time.

IIRC, for your old avatar, your hair is very brown or black, right? It is probably harder to make decisions about what to use with really dark hair.

My mom had black hair and started to go grey in her late 30s...she was irish. She finally stopped dyeing it and it was the. Most beautiful silvery grey, but she was still in her mid-forties.

I really like Garnier Nutrisse products. They're easy to use, good coverage, stay true color, and only around $8. I just bought the new Garnier Olia to try. L'Oreal works nicely too. Not a fan of Clairol. The few times I tried it the color was dull and I didn't find it as easy to use.

I like Ecocolors. They cover gray as well as any of the typical box colors, but they do not have the harsh and possibly carcinogenic chemicals that the typical colors do. I had an allergic reaction to salon colors, but I can use these without reaction. When I researched alternative hair colors, they were the only ones of the alternative colors that were willing to disclose all of their ingredients.