Menu

Catholic mums - First Holy Communion/reconcilliation

Hakg

I have a DS8 who should be preparing for reconcilliation and first holy communion, however as a homeschooler I am not sure how to approach this. Our parish priest is pushing for DS to attend the after school classes with 20 or 30 other kids. I am not keen on this for various reasons.

I would like for DH and I to be able to prepare him; or for him to perhaps do the classes with a few other homeschooled kids during the day; or for him to have one on one classes with the priest during the day that I can sit in on as well. I need to be cautious about the content DS is taught because he is quite sensitive about some of the graphic aspects of the bible.

Can you share your experiences with preparing for these sacraments? Hopefully with some alternative ideas under my belt, I can make some suggestions when I speak with our priest next.

Thanks

Thanks justamouse - just had a look at the site. Did you use specific books to prep for holy communion or use it as a whole catechetical curriculum from grades 1-8?

Also was your parish priest accepting of this? require your DC to sit any tests etc?

Thank you for responding.

We also use Faith and Life as our religion curriculum. Our parish priest was fine with us preparing for the sacrament at home with this as our resource. We also organized a day retreat for our children with a parent at a local religious community. There were several homeschooled second graders in our parish that year. Our archdiocese has a homeschool organization which organizes sacraments for homeschoolers as well through a chaplain. I'm not sure that this is typical, but it is an option here for those who do not have a parish that is cooperative toward homeschoolers. Another resource to look at is faith folders for Catholics. They have lap books on specific subjects like First Holy Communion and the Holy Mass that may be helpful in your preparation.

I have a DS8 who should be preparing for reconcilliation and first holy communion, however as a homeschooler I am not sure how to approach this. Our parish priest is pushing for DS to attend the after school classes with 20 or 30 other kids. I am not keen on this for various reasons.

I would like for DH and I to be able to prepare him; or for him to perhaps do the classes with a few other homeschooled kids during the day; or for him to have one on one classes with the priest during the day that I can sit in on as well. I need to be cautious about the content DS is taught because he is quite sensitive about some of the graphic aspects of the bible.

Can you share your experiences with preparing for these sacraments? Hopefully with some alternative ideas under my belt, I can make some suggestions when I speak with our priest next.

Thanks

FWIW, I can't imagine that the classes would contain any graphic or frightening content.

I'm sure you'll be able to reach a compromise with your priest, but I don't think you should mention that you're worried about the classes being at all scary.

What are you afraid they will mention?

I'm not sure why parish rules for sacrament prep would be different for homeschoolers than for public schoolers. FWIW, in our parish, sacrament prep involves monthly workshops but is ultimately taught by the parents. However, the kids must also be simultaneously attending one of the various options for regular religious ed (we did weekly afterschool classes but that was not the only choice).

See what your parish offers/normally requires and then talk to the priest.

We have serveral childrens bibles and DS does find some of the stories hard to cope with and I can understand why. He doesnt appreciate the really god gushy versions either. We have stumbled across this http://www.jesusstorybookbible.com/ and it works well. The possible graphic content during the classes, is just one of the reasons that I dont want him doing the after school classes, not the main reason.

Thanks Laura in STL, I'd be happy to use Faith and Life as our preparation - in fact would prefer to do this ourselves - just need to get the parish priest on board, as we are not interested in the after school classes at all.

In my diocese you can homeschool for the regular faith formation stuff, but need to have the child attend some special sacrament classes at the church. It's maybe once a month or less. They pull any kids preparing for sacraments out of their faith formation (CCD) classes, and the homeschooled ones attend too.

FWIW, I can't imagine that the classes would contain any graphic or frightening content.

I'm sure you'll be able to reach a compromise with your priest, but I don't think you should mention that you're worried about the classes being at all scary.

Not long ago I remember someone here mentioning her daughter seeing something inappropriate or frightening in a PSR class, but I can't remember who it was. I believe it was an older grade, but I do have a friend whose daughter's first grade PSR class was told that Santa does not bring children presents. It was in reference to a lesson on St. Nicholas, but that is something for parents to discuss IMO.

I like the look of Faith and Life. To those who have recommended it, did you purchase all associated books - activity book, answer key, student book and teachers manual. The books are reasonably priced, however the TM is a little over $40 - is it necessary?

Another option your pastor might be more comfortable with is you teaching at home, but meeting with him or the first communion teacher at various points through the year.

Thanks I was going to suggest that to our priest. I'd be happy with that.

I'm on a temporary assignment in a new place (it's a 5 year placement), so this recently came up for me also.

Back home is a small community, and both parish priests were fine with us homeschooling for CCD. The older one had married my parents back when Jesus roamed the Earth, the younger one is my cousin. The agreement was that any one in the parish was welcome to do sacramental prep at home (homeschooler or not), and the child needed to have an interview with the priest. The priest would have a relaxed discussion with the child, not an interrogation LOL, to assess readiness based on the workbook the diocese had chosen. This workbook was very "light" and a waste of time IMO. We used Faith & Life at home, which covered everything in the diocesan workbook - and then some, but did a quick overview of the diocesan workbook just to make sure the kids could comfortably dialogue at the interview.

My temporary residence is in a much less Catholic area. My pastor doesn't seem as comfortable making such allowances, and feels F&L is an archaic program. He's very much in support of the diocesan choice, which again - is very light IMO. The diocesan rule is two years of CCD classes at the parish OR enrollment in an area Catholic school. I fought it, showed him F&L and proposed an interview with my child, got his opinion of F&L and people who try to bend the church to their wishes (insert expletives or euphemisms here, depending on where you stood in the curse words/swearing thread), and was bid a good day. To be fair, his parish is about triple the size of my hometown parish; he's undoubtedly busier. So I figured I'd work with the parish back home to get this child her sacraments, on our next visit back. That's ultimately where we'll end up anyhow.

But! There was a month where every single Mass the Pastor was pushing "small church communities" on us. God Bless the Holy Spirit LOL, I found five of my daughter's friends and approached Father about doing a small church community for the kids to meet the CCD requirement. After a few dinners at the house, he relented :) so we've done this for the past two years and our kids have begun making their Sacraments. We use the diocesan curriculum, more as a supplement but in good faith, and add in elements of F&L, Image of God, and various things from the internet (Faith Folders, Catholic Icing, etc.) We impressed him this year with our level of preparedness, and I don't think he regrets permitting this. Beginning this year, he's also approved a Home Study option where any child can use the diocesan curriculum to homeschool at home; proof of a completed workbook is required at the close of the year. Had that been an option originally, it's what I'd have chosen.

Is there any way you can ask him if you might do either of those? Nothing to stop you from working FROM the workbook and presenting the same information in a way you feel appropriate for your child. I doubt there's anything scary in it at the 2nd grade and down, but you'd be able to determine that for yourself at least :)

Thanks for sharing that Tita Gidge. I have only had a very brief, impromptu discussion with our priest - I dont know him well as we moved into the area only 5 or so months ago. I will be making an appointment to meet with him to see where he stands and how flexible he will be, once I am able to provide him with a plan on how I will approach this preparation. If I can go to him armed with a plan, I feel I may fair better - fingers crossed! I'm also more than happy to provide him with proof of learning or even for my son to have a few casual meetings with him whilst he is preparing.

Thank you all for your input and advice. :grouphug:

My oldest son, I taught a communion/reconciliation class at my home for the parish. (less than 10 kids)

Next child we were living elsewhere, and that parish wasn't opposed to our using a self-study program. But they knew we were meeting as a group every Thursday with a wonderful Parish Priest who did a Mass and teaching for our homeschool group. Those of Communion age made their Communion together in a private Mass.

The following five children I sent or will be sending to our new parish's 1st and 2nd grade program. It was a good experience for all of us and I have taught some of those classes with an older child of mine. I have come to appreciate being part of the larger community and being of service. I always supplement at home with my own catechism lessons.

Even though it was tough to run kids here and there, I am glad I made an effort. It gave us a better sense of community with the parish and they see the positive side of homeschooling. They know they can rely on the homeschool kids to altar serve, teach, volunteer etc.