Menu

Anyone else own an older vehicle?

Luanne

I am thinking I need to start setting money asside in case I need to get my car fixed. I drive a 1995 Buick Regal. I really like the car and can't afford a new one, but it isn't exactly new at 18 years of age. Anyone else driving an older vehicle or am I the only "lucky" one?

Dh drives a 1993 Bonneville which was purchased 5 years ago with 165K miles on it from the city we live in. Now has about 230K. We alternately call it the Swamp Car (during rainy seasons) and Duct Tape Car the rest of the year. We can't open the trunk anymore, although my 17yo is sometimes successfull. The glove compartment also doesn't open without using a special wrench-technique which is fairly embarrasing when you are pulled over for expired tags and the registration is kept in there. The wrench must also be used to change the fan/temperature settings. The ceiling fabric is held up with bright red duct tape (now, with all the colors available, why did dh choose red?). The windows and door seams leak, so dh drilled holes in the floor to help drain the water.

The engine is in fantastic condition.

My dream "next car" is a Volvo Wagon because they are perfect for hauling double basses.

We have a '68 Scout! It's the "new" Scout because the "old" Scout is a '64.

I grew up in a '69! :) Dad sold it about 10 years ago, though.

I remember he went to the state Bar Association meeting one year and the valet refused to park that old rust-bucket until he pulled out his membership card to prove that yes, he legitimately was a lawyer. lol :D

We do old cars because my husband can fix everything. Has saved us tons of money.

I drive a '91 suburban. He alternates between a '66 Chevy truck and a '55 Buick. He got rid of the '58 Fairlane - I loved that car. Some of our oldies look better than others. We have talked about getting me a newer car, but I feel very safe in my car, so I don't know, we'll see. Now, if they were all falling apart and he wasn't fixing them, I wouldn't feel safe and it would bug me.

Our "new" car is our 2004 Honda Pilot. I drive a 2000 Camry. Every once in a while I get an itch for a new car, but ours work perfectly fine and there's no need to spend the money.

Our "new" car is a 2003 Honda Pilot. I bought it last year with 48,000 miles on it, and put about 25,000 on it since then. It replaced a 1997 Chevy Astro with more than 200,000 miles on it.

DH drives a 1999 Plymouth minivan that is approaching 200,000 miles. It is starting to rust out and needs to be replaced next spring.

Mine is only about 10.5 years old. But for some reason, my kids (age 6) think that is hilarious. ?? Mileage is about 125,000 so far, and I'll be driving it for a while yet. My previous car needed to go (trade-in) after 10 years; it had more like 170,000 miles on it, but it would have lasted longer had I not abused it (used to go waaaay too long between oil changes).

I am thinking I need to start setting money asside in case I need to get my car fixed. I drive a 1995 Buick Regal. I really like the car and can't afford a new one, but it isn't exactly new at 18 years of age. Anyone else driving an older vehicle or am I the only "lucky" one?

LOL, I thought you meant OLDER--yours is like new ;)

My hubby drives a 1987 Grand Marquis. I'm spoiled with a 2001 Honda.

We have three cars

1996 Saturn Station Wagon

2002 Saturn VUE

2004 Toyota Sequoia

We are getting rid of the '96 this summer as it will not pass inspection and is not worth repairing at this time. The other 2 cars run well and we will not be looking at getting rid of them for at least another 5-7 years or so. In fact, we are hoping the VUE can be the older boys' commuter vehicle for local college.

Yeah, that is weird. I just gave it 5* to hopefully bring up the average. This is NOT a controversial thread!

Now, if you plan to cart cupcakes in your cars or allow shirtless men in kilts to drive your car.......... :driving: :driving: :driving:

Either two people don't like this topic I chose or two people don't like me. ... not that I really care about either one since I am getting a lot of responses anyway. Some people clearly need to get a life.

No wonder I was confused. I didn't think the check the topic's rating...

It had to have been a goof. Accidentally clicking that part of your screen and not realizing you were hitting the stars or something.

Why would anyone deliberately knock a thread like this?

I drive a 1988 Volvo 240DL wagon with @600,000 miles on it. My children are grown, and I love to remember the carseats and busy little boys in it. I hope it lasts forever (it kind of already has).

One son has a 1973 VW Bug he restored, and another son has a 1991 Volvo wagon. My husband drives a 1999 Subaru Forester. We can afford newer, but we like these.

My husband is in the market for a hybrid SUV-Lexus, perhaps, but he is looking for older models.

No wonder I was confused. I didn't think the check the topic's rating...

It had to have been a goof. Accidentally clicking that part of your screen and not realizing you were hitting the stars or something.

Why would anyone deliberately knock a thread like this?

I do stuff like that on my ipad screen all the time :)