Menu

Hoping to relocate +1000 miles away from home... BTDT advice?

MommaOfalotta

We aren't relocating because of a job or anything, just because we want to.

I've wanted to move to this place for literally as long as I remember. I've gone there every summer of my life since I was six months old. My heart ACHES for it every... single... day.

Dh has agreed to move after 7 years of my constant begging. Woo.Hoo.

So I am looking for any advice on how to make it happen... Dh just got an awesome job last year (and no he can't transfer) so we would be taking a huge risk by giving up this new job. He said he would start applying for jobs down there but....

Any tips on finding/getting hired when you are 1000 miles north of the area? What did the process look like for you? (ex. finding job, finding housing, and doing it all over a long distance?)

Part of me is scared to death to give up the job we were so blessed for him to get. We were struggling for so long... but the other part of me says I don't care if he made millions at a job here in Ohio, I would rather be on a smaller income and live where we want.

I guess I'll go ahead and say it. We want to move to Florida. A specific town there, pretty far south. Please no "You don't really want to move to Florida. You think you do, but you dont" I get enough of that from my MIL :glare:

My first thought is for you to cut as much out of your budget now as you can and put the rest away in an emergency/moving fund. The more money you have available the easier things will be for moving. That way if dh has to take a job with less pay/benefits, etc. you will be OK for a while.

Thank you for taking the time to answer!

That is actually the only thing we have decided to start doing NOW. We are paying off the rest of our debt this week, and putting every dime we can into savings. Having a cushion in the bank will help me feel more secure.

I'm a worrier, if you can't tell. Trying to work on that :)

What type of work does your dh do?

Factory work as of now. He is with a good company (making boxes) and they have options for transfer but nothing near the area we want.

He has always wanted to go to school for something or find a "career" and not just a "job." His words, not mine. He said he would like to go to school for HVAC so that he could start his own business down there... but we are unable to do that as of now with his work schedule, etc. Plus it would set the move back at least a year.

His DREAM would be to work for himself, or work from home but he doesn't have a degree which is usually what it takes.

I would start by contacting everyone that you know that lives in that area about jobs. Ask them if they know of anything available. Sikorski is a good employer in WPB and I am sure there have to be some non technical jobs associated with that. Check into how much it will cost for you to either buy or a rent a place and how much you have to make to be comfortable. Search the job boards like indeed and career builder. The most important thing is talking to people that you know.

You really don't want to jump into this and move this summer. Save all the money you can for a year. The move itself will cost several thousand dollars if you do it yourself. You'll need the truck, fuel, boxes, motels, meals, etc. Then you'll need a deposit for just about everything from housing to utilities. You'll have to move your vehicle insurance to FL and that can be expensive.

Moving so far away without family or friends on hand can get lonely. You'll want to start putting together your circle as quickly as possible. That is fairly easy to do in a bigger city. But if you end up in a small cliquish town it can be difficult.

Check the homeschooling laws. Make sure you can fulfill the requirements for the state. Look at groups, co-ops, etc.

You really don't want to jump into this and move this summer. Save all the money you can for a year. The move itself will cost several thousand dollars if you do it yourself. You'll need the truck, fuel, boxes, motels, meals, etc. Then you'll need a deposit for just about everything from housing to utilities. You'll have to move your vehicle insurance to FL and that can be expensive.

I tend to agree. The military pays for our movers, but a move can still cost us upwards of $5k or even more. You need plenty of money in the bank before you move.

where? I'm a florida girl! I was born and raised in Palm Beach Gardens, was in Tallahassee for 4 years, lived in Boca for 1, and in Port St. Lucie for 3. Now I'm in the Orlando metro area.

Ahh, thats crazy! We are looking at Port St. Lucie, Jensen Beach, etc area! We go to Hutchinson Island every year so we want one of the surrounding small towns. I love the coastal feel and being right on the water.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. We have about 4,000 ish dollars coming within the next week or two which will help, obviously. I plan on building our savings quickly. We live with my mother at the moment which makes it super easy to save big, quick.

This is also why I don't want to wait a year. Lol.

However, it works to our advantage since we don't have to wait for a house to sell, pull the kids out of school, or work around two job schedules--just his, kwim?

Check all up and down the coast, to compare rent/etc. My parents just moved to Merritt Island and I really like it there. More beachy than Port St. Lucie, for sure. More old school. That said, if you are Catholic I can recommend a parish in Port St. Lucie, lol.

Finding a job: Husband did several trips to network/find opportunities in the new area.

Moving: one time we held onto the flat we owned and rented it out, then moved into rented accommodation (after living in a temporary place for a month) in the new area. Another time we were renting, so we investigated new properties on the internet, moved and rented temporarily whilst looking at houses, and bought quickly.

Home education makes it all much simpler: on the first day when you are moved in enough to cope, you just open your books as though nothing had happened. It helps with the adaptation process, I think.

Laura

Factory work as of now. He is with a good company (making boxes) and they have options for transfer but nothing near the area we want.

He has always wanted to go to school for something or find a "career" and not just a "job." His words, not mine. He said he would like to go to school for HVAC so that he could start his own business down there... but we are unable to do that as of now with his work schedule, etc. Plus it would set the move back at least a year.

His DREAM would be to work for himself, or work from home but he doesn't have a degree which is usually what it takes.

At least here, you can work as an apprentice while going to school to get training. You might see if you can find the Sheetmetal Workers' Union in the place you want to go. Then save for a time before leaving your current job.

We moved from WA to TX without a job, but with a nest egg. Thankfully I was able to find a job after we got here. But we were very sure we knew where we were going, etc. and we had a pretty good savings account (though I did NOT want to use it this way!) Probably about 1 yrs expenses.

I would sit tight in Ohio with that good paying job until the unemployment rate in FL went down a bit.

Unless you have something good & secure lined up already, I would not do it. When you do, then be sure to compare the cost of living in both places. Living on the coast in FL (full time), is not cheap.

A good head hunter from a good firm can be looking for other possible jobs even now. This is not unusual. People apply and interview for jobs in other cities all the time.

I've moved like this more than once. I have two other pieces of advice.

1)If at all possible, rent when you first arrive. If it is a tax burden to rent for a year, pay a bit more and rent for 6 months. No one but you knows which area of town you will like. Especially as homeschoolers, you will want to be near good support and it can really vary.

2)If you plan to hire movers, don't let them carry anything of nostalgic value and be sure you are FULLY insured for FULL cost. The last time we moved(about 1700 hundred miles), we hired a well respected moving company to take most of our things. They ended up "losing" a matching coffee table and sofa table, a futon with expensive mattress, some book cases, and the doll I played with growing up. Later, I made friends with a woman who worked in the claims department of the same major moving company. She said this happened ALL THE TIME!

I hope you love your new home!

I would sit tight in Ohio with that good paying job until the unemployment rate in FL went down a bit.

Unless you have something good & secure lined up already, I would not do it. When you do, then be sure to compare the cost of living in both places. Living on the coast in FL (full time), is not cheap.

Totally agree. We moved here in '05, and dh lost his job in '08 due to a company buyout. It has been almost impossible to find work. Unless you have a job secured first, I wouldn't suggest moving here. This state is struggling. We are just praying we can come up with enough to move away.

A good head hunter from a good firm can be looking for other possible jobs even now. This is not unusual. People apply and interview for jobs in other cities all the time.

I've moved like this more than once. I have two other pieces of advice.

1)If at all possible, rent when you first arrive. If it is a tax burden to rent for a year, pay a bit more and rent for 6 months. No one but you knows which area of town you will like. Especially as homeschoolers, you will want to be near good support and it can really vary.

2)If you plan to hire movers, don't let them carry anything of nostalgic value and be sure you are FULLY insured for FULL cost. The last time we moved(about 1700 hundred miles), we hired a well respected moving company to take most of our things. They ended up "losing" a matching coffee table and sofa table, a futon with expensive mattress, some book cases, and the doll I played with growing up. Later, I made friends with a woman who worked in the claims department of the same major moving company. She said this happened ALL THE TIME!

I hope you love your new home!

Thank you so much :) I really appreciate your BTDT advice! Yikes about the movers.. that is ridiculous!

Totally agree. We moved here in '05, and dh lost his job in '08 due to a company buyout. It has been almost impossible to find work. Unless you have a job secured first, I wouldn't suggest moving here. This state is struggling. We are just praying we can come up with enough to move away.

This really worries me. Although, from where we sit now we are looking at the same type of situation. I would never agree to moving without dh having a job already but I still worry about something happening and him losing that job at some time. We live in a very small town with close to zero employment opportunities so this job was a miracle for us. Before this dh had a long commute just to get to a job where we barely made enough to cover food, etc.

Being that broke (and trapped at my mothers house) has made me so scared of ending up like that again. But as a family member told us, dh could lose this job here, too-kwim? Now I feel like Im just rambling on and on.

Point is, anything that could happen to us there could also happen here... and if I'm going to be broke/rich/sick/healthy/employed/unemployed I would rather do it where we are HAPPY :)

Definitely. Don't give up a good job in this market unless you have something definite to go to.

Laura