Menu

filthy classrooms

or more precisely filthy carpets in classrooms are driving me bunkers. I don't think they ever get washed at all. My kid has sever dust mite allergies that triger asthma attacks. it's so increadibly frustrating. I want to talke those rugs home and wash it for them. grrrrr. I am just ranting. They have called me every day of the week about his asthma. I can't really tell them to clean their carpets.

Why can't you tell them to clean the carpets? Be polite about it, of course, but tell them that you think the carpets in the classroom, if not frequently cleaned with hypoallergenic cleaner and vacuumed daily with a proper filter, are a likely problem. Cleaning the classroom sounds like a reasonable accommodation to ask for imo. You might need a doctor's note to reinforce the point. It's likely they only do a thorough cleaning once or twice a year.

Go to the teacher and/or the Principal. This is a legitimate heath issue that they can and should resolve.

Our classroom rugs are cleaned or replaced out of "room fund" donations from parents. This year our very excellent teacher has OCD and, consequently, the classroom is immaculate.

Bill

Ask, demand, then call the health department if it's really that bad. It's unacceptable to send your child to a dirty classroom each day.

When I taught kindergarten, *I* rented a carpet cleaner over breaks to clean our one rug. The school would have never done it. It was disgusting.

Put the pressure on!

So many kids walk with their dirty shoes over it, the carpet is bound to be filthy. I don't think those rugs have been replaced in years. I don't mind making a donation for a new rug. Hmmmm. That's an idea.

I will ask the teacher when they were last steamcleaned. I know they have bigger problems that carpet cleaning, but I can't be the only parent with an astmatic kid.

So many kids walk with their dirty shoes over it, the carpet is bound to be filthy. I don't think those rugs have been replaced in years. I don't mind making a donation for a new rug. Hmmmm. That's an idea.

I will ask the teacher when they were last steamcleaned. I know they have bigger problems that carpet cleaning, but I can't be the only parent with an astmatic kid.

Do your classrooms have a "room fund" of monies donated by parents and/or have "room parents" that could organize donations towards a new rug? These are standard circumstances at our school.

Bill

Do your classrooms have a "room fund" of monies donated by parents and/or have "room parents" that could organize donations towards a new rug? These are standard circumstances at our school.

Bill

Nobody has asked for a donation, so we probably don't have a class fund. We give general donations to the school, but not specifically for the class.

Is this a public school? If so, you are in luck! In my son's PS they hung a notice in the front office stating that it is mandated by the school board and school district governors that the classroom environment should be clean, hygienic and fit for children and to approach the school administrators if any parent noticed any problems. Just walk into the school office and look for/ask for school cleanliness/hygiene standards. I am sure if it is private school, they have similar procedures in place.

Is this a public school? If so, you are in luck! In my son's PS they hung a notice in the front office stating that it is mandated by the school board and school district governors that the classroom environment should be clean, hygienic and fit for children and to approach the school administrators if any parent noticed any problems. Just walk into the school office and look for/ask for school cleanliness/hygiene standards. I am sure if it is private school, they have similar procedures in place.

Who decides what "clean" means? I might be able to get the school nurse on my side. I think she is tired of hanging out with my kid.

My aunt is a retired elementary school teacher and, just like in her home, her students had to remove their shoes when they entered the classroom. I have only seen this in footage of schools in Finland and Japan. Suffice it to say, much cleaner carpets.

I worked for a while in a school that had those portable classrooms (=leaky trailer), and a bunch of kids and a teacher in one room had breathing problems. Surprise, surprise, mold was discovered but never adequately dealt with.

My aunt is a retired elementary school teacher and, just like in her home, her students had to remove their shoes when they entered the classroom. I have only seen this in footage of schools in Finland and Japan. Suffice it to say, much cleaner carpets.

I worked for a while in a school that had those portable classrooms (=leaky trailer), and a bunch of kids and a teacher in one room had breathing problems. Surprise, surprise, mold was discovered but never adequately dealt with.

Or, they could forgo wall to wall carpeting and large area rugs on top in favor of tile or wood floors that are easy to wash. You could always have kids sit on little individual mats for circle time. I do feel awkward asking for accomodations since my kid is the only one with an issue (at least it appears so).

Or, they could forgo wall to wall carpeting and large area rugs on top in favor of tile or wood floors that are easy to wash. You could always have kids sit on little individual mats for circle time. I do feel awkward asking for accomodations since my kid is the only one with an issue (at least it appears so).

Oh, it is not an area rug. My mistake. A more costly problem. What about a professional carpet cleaning? Would that help?

Bill

This strikes me as being in the category of "I shouldn't have to tell someone this." They need to clean their rugs. Since apparently they haven't noticed that it's time, I would not feel guilty pleasantly reminding them. ... ETA, it is not the parents' or kids' problem if it costs money to clean a rug. They should have thought of that when they bought it. Maybe they did, and they have another rug in storage just waiting for someone to need it. ... If they couldn't afford a janitor to scrub the toilets, would the parents consider it their problem? If you don't have the resources to run a school (or any other business) properly, you shouldn't be in business.

I do feel awkward asking for accomodations since my kid is the only one with an issue (at least it appears so).

Even kids without asthma can be sensitive to dirt and dust when it really piles up. My dd doesn't have asthma, but she was having a persistent cough which I asked the doctor about. Doctor said I needed to wash all her stuffed toys and do a deep cleaning of carpets under the bed etc. I think it worked. ... And, I don't think having a reasonably clean floor is an "accommodation."

FWIW, when I was teaching, I actually brought a vacuum in from home (and bought a new one in for home) because the carpets simply were NOT regularly cleaned, and I had serious allergies-and it still wasn't enough. Our carpets were only shampooed once a year-over the summer, which simply isn't enough to keep up with a room that has over 800 separate pairs of shoes coming through it each week. It was gross. So don't be surprised if the teacher is on your side!

Personally, I would have LOVED tile or hardwood and some sort of seating against the wall and foam tiles or something for instrument use on the floor-and I'm betting I would have had many fewer absences and been more effective if I hadn't had to teach on antihistamines almost constantly (not to mention that it's hard to teach music with "Seasonal bronchitis" each year!)

Ask them to clean the rugs. I was able to get our entire school clear of aerosol products because of my dd and a few other kids (4 in total) All for children had aerosol induced asthma. Over the summer the school board for a cheaper company to buy their cleaners from. Two of the products were aerosol based. My dd was getting sicker and sicker and I had stopped all aerosols at home and she was getting worse and worse. I was at the school asking a different question when the janitor came in and started cleaning a staff room and I saw him spraying the cleaner. I asked him if the school had always used this product and he confirmed that they had changed over the summer. I beelined it into the principal's office and asked how we could change this and fast. By this point she had missed over 3 weeks of school because the dr's couldn't get her asthma under control. A note from the dr and it was bye-bye aerosols. When the school board tried to insist that there wasn't a problem, the other three parents brought in their dr notes also. Suddenly, we were aerosol free and later two teachers said they were glad it was gone because it was making them feel ill also.

So, ask. It can't hurt to politely as for the rug to be cleaned.

Who decides what "clean" means? I might be able to get the school nurse on my side. I think she is tired of hanging out with my kid.

The paediatrician apparently. Having a docter's note was the fastest way to get things done here. My older gets hives so it is not obvious to anyone as he wore jeans to school everyday. The school nurse was tired of calling me for other issues and the school secretary knows me and my boys well.

It would be easy if it is just dirty carpet. The school janitors clean the classroom daily after 5pm here. If it is mold causing the health issues, that would be harder to deal with.

• 4 weeks later...

I had our allergist write a note about dd12's asthma with a recommendation for an air filter. I took that and a room sized air filter to school and had a meeting with the nurse and the headmaster. There is now an air filter in every room she has class in, and she carries a portable air filter with her to each class that stays near her. It is the only way she can stay in school. The doctor's note opened up lots of doors with implications of not providing appropriate accommodations for her health. As a side benefit, the rest of her class breathes better too. Now all I need to do is figure out what magic piece of paper I need in order to make the school go tree-nut free.

I had our allergist write a note about dd12's asthma with a recommendation for an air filter. I took that and a room sized air filter to school and had a meeting with the nurse and the headmaster. There is now an air filter in every room she has class in, and she carries a portable air filter with her to each class that stays near her. It is the only way she can stay in school. The doctor's note opened up lots of doors with implications of not providing appropriate accommodations for her health. As a side benefit, the rest of her class breathes better too. Now all I need to do is figure out what magic piece of paper I need in order to make the school go tree-nut free.

I was told the nurse would deal with it (basically give my kid an inhaler if needed). the teacher said they vacuum regularly and will be washing the carpet over summer, which doesn't really help us. I let it go since we have now a week left of school and he will be home next year for various reasons.

I was told the nurse would deal with it (basically give my kid an inhaler if needed). the teacher said they vacuum regularly and will be washing the carpet over summer, which doesn't really help us. I let it go since we have now a week left of school and he will be home next year for various reasons.

That is frustrating and the reason I met with somebody higher up and brought an air filter with me. If you were going to continue in school, I'd suggest you look into having a 504 plan written up to require accommodations for allergies if the school can't be more supportive. I have one for my dd that not only covers things like air filters and a pass to leave class without permission if needed. It also gives us the freedom to miss as many school days as needed for medical reasons without having it counted against her and triggering the mandatory repeat the grade program. She's a very good student with very good grades despite missing most of this semester.