Menu

Book a Week in 2013 - week sixteen

Robin M

Finished Leopard Geckos for Dummies by Liz Palika today. It was pretty weak as far as Dummies guides go, and even less useful as an introduction to Leopard Gecko husbandry. More information can be found from reputable sources via a quick internet search.

Still reading 8th Confession by James Patterson. Normally, I could finish a Patterson in a day or two, but I'm really just not into it.

Completed So Far

1. Best Friends by Samantha Glen

2. Wesley the Owl by Stacey O'Brien

3. The Gift of Pets: Stories Only a Vet Could Tell by Bruce Coston

4. Nim Chimpsky: The Chimp Who Would Be Human by Elizabeth Hess

5. Last Chance to See by Douglas Adams & Mark Carwardine

6. Confessions of a Prairie Bitch by Alison Arngrim

7. Beowulf by Seamus Heaney

8. The Odyssey by Homer (Fagles translation)

9. The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

10. The Year of Learning Dangerously: Adventures in Homeschooling by Quinn Cummings

11. Neither Here Nor There by Bill Bryson

12. Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery

13. Tales of an African Vet by Dr. Roy Aronson

14. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

15. The Romanovs: The Final Chapter by Robert K. Massie

16. Kisses From Katie by Katie Katie Davis

17. Iguanas for Dummies by Melissa Kaplan

18. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

19. Zoo by James Patterson

20. St. Lucy's School for Girls Raised by Wolves by Karen Russell

21. Russian Tortoises in Captivity by Jerry D. Fife

22. Leopard Geckos for Dummies by Liz Palika

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I so wish I could have read Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde when it was first written (& before I knew the story). I loved it & thought it was a perfectly-written novella. Just wish I could have truly enjoyed the 'surprise' of the story.

Same here. I can only guess that I would have enjoyed the book more if the story weren't so well known - since it depends on the mystery and the twist at the end.

LOL about Bugs Bunny. (Btw, I can't get any cartoons to show on that website. Is anyone else having that problem?)

The cartoons aren't working for me either.

Plato's Republic is proving difficult to stick with. Every time he has Socrates quote something from Homer or Aeschylus as an example of the terrible things poets will no longer be allowed to say in the Just City, it makes me want to put it down and go read Homer or Aeschylus. Dh swears it gets better. Great Girl disagrees.

I need to look at my kindle "dusty" books more often. I have been busy comparing my list to the libraries I have access to. One particular book has been particularly difficult so I was getting ready to buy it when I happened to scroll my kindle fire way back in history. To my amazement sitting there was Chasing Mona Lisa by Tricia Goyer -- the book that I could not find. At some point it must have been a free download. Lol Now it is at the front of the que!

Today I finished Till the Stars Fall by Kathleen Gilles Seidel. It was a lovely romance

"They were young; they were in love; and the world was a place where dreams could come true, where the highest heights of fame could be reached, and where friendships never ended...

Krissa... Desperate to escape the stifling life of a small mining town in northern Minnesota, Krissa followed her brother Danny back east, where his musical talents brought Quinn Hunter into their lives.

Quinn... The son of privilege and the son of neglect, Quinn found in Krissa what he had always yearned for: friendship, warmth, and love. As the three of them experienced the wonders of success, they thought their lives were perfect... until everything went wrong.

What happens, fifteen years later, when young love is renewed? What happens when old longings are tested? But most of all, what happens when two people cannot resist the song of their hearts?"

I recommend it.

Regards,

Kareni

This evening I read Something Like Normal by Trish Doller.

"When Travis returns home from a stint in Afghanistan, his parents are splitting up, his brother’s stolen his girlfriend and his car, and he’s haunted by nightmares of his best friend’s death. It’s not until Travis runs into Harper, a girl he’s had a rocky relationship with since middle school, that life actually starts looking up. And as he and Harper see more of each other, he begins to pick his way through the minefield of family problems and post-traumatic stress to the possibility of a life that might resemble normal again. Travis’s dry sense of humor, and incredible sense of honor, make him an irresistible and eminently lovable hero."

It was an excellent young adult novel.

Regards,

Kareni

I got an email this morning telling me I have 3 days left on my digital loan for 1Q84! I have 3 choices. 1. Don't turn wifi or 3G on until I finish the book. If I don't turn it on, the book can't disappear from my Kindle. 2. Check it out from the Philadelphia library after this loan ends (the loan I currently have is from my local library). That would give me 3 more weeks though I won't need the entire loan period.

Buying it is not an option. I rarely buy books anymore (digital or physical) unless that's my only option, or I know I'll re-read it. Or if it's a cookbook. I can't stop buying cookbooks, though not for lack of trying.

Choice #3 is to drop school and everything else, let dh and ds fend for themselves, and just read non-stop until I finish. Okay, I realistically only have 2 choices. The third would be fun every now and then though. :D

Finished Leopard Geckos for Dummies by Liz Palika today. It was pretty weak as far as Dummies guides go, and even less useful as an introduction to Leopard Gecko husbandry. More information can be found from reputable sources via a quick internet search.

Ds insisted on getting that book when he got his leopard gecko some years ago. Yep. He ended up getting more information online than he ever got from the book. The gecko (Sarge) died >3 years ago, and we brought the book to our hs park day not long after he died. It was snatched up pretty quickly, but I let the mom know that her kid wouldn't get much from the book. I felt okay about it though since we gave the book away rather than selling it.

In my personal challenge (a book written by an author from each continent AND a book from each class in the Dewey Decimal system), I am making good progress but I've hit a road block.

I need an author born in Antarctica. Any suggestions?

I also need Africa and South America but I am not worried about those ... I have my eye on a few. I only need the 400 (language) and 700 (arts) classes still to read for my second challenge. I have the 400 covered but a book on art?

So I need two suggestions: a book on art, and a book written by someone born in Antarctica

Ideas??

Ideas??

There are no indigenous people and no permanent residents in Antarctica, so you're going to be out of luck. You can do an author who spent time there in one of the scientific expeditions. That's as close as you'll get.

ETA: There have been a few children born to explorers or scientists there, but it's highly unlikely you'll have an easy time finding that one of them is an author.

Ds insisted on getting that book when he got his leopard gecko some years ago. Yep. He ended up getting more information online than he ever got from the book. The gecko (Sarge) died >3 years ago, and we brought the book to our hs park day not long after he died. It was snatched up pretty quickly, but I let the mom know that her kid wouldn't get much from the book. I felt okay about it though since we gave the book away rather than selling it.

I had already done a ton of research on leopard geckos so it wasn't a necessary purchase, but I happened to see it on the clearance rack at Ollie's just a couple of hours after buying my gecko at a reptile fair and thought it might be good for reference later. There are some really, really great care sheets online that I trust, and most of the info. in the book was either flat out wrong, or not detailed enough for someone who isn't at least vaguely familiar with reptiles.

Finished The 8th Confession by James Patterson. Starting on the next book in the series simply because I don't currently have anything better to read. :tongue_smilie:

Completed So Far

10. The Year of Learning Dangerously: Adventures in Homeschooling by Quinn Cummings

23. The 8th Confession by James Patterson

I also need Africa and South America but I am not worried about those ... I have my eye on a few. I only need the 400 (language) and 700 (arts) classes still to read for my second challenge. I have the 400 covered but a book on art?

So I need two suggestions: a book on art, and a book written by someone born in Antarctica

Ideas??

I'm reading a book called Leonardo and the Last Supper by Ross King (759.5) and am enjoying it (when I can stay awake) King is doing a lovely job drawing together Leonardo's past, the political situation going on, and the specifics of the time. I'm enjoying it even though it's taking a long time. It isn't a murder mystery, you know.

Has anyone been born in Antarctica? I thought the continent challenge could cover books written about, or taking place, in the continent.

Yeah, I guess I set the bar too high for myself by wanting the authors themselves to be born in the different continents. I was doing fine until Antarctica snuck up and bit me on the bum :) I guess I will have to adjust my own rules.

In my personal challenge (a book written by an author from each continent AND a book from each class in the Dewey Decimal system), I am making good progress but I've hit a road block.

Ideas??

I didn't find any authors from the antarctic but did post a list of books based on setting on 52 books blog.

An Antarctic Mystery - Jules Verne (sequel to Edgar Allan Poe's The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket)

Antarctica - Kim Stanley Robinson

At the Mountains of Madness and Other Tales of Terror - H.P. Lovecraft

Atlantis Found (Dirk Pitt #15) - Clive Cussler

Blood and Ice - Robert Masello

Blood on the Snow - Pamela Lamb

Dead Men - Richard Pierce

Deception Island - J.D. Boss

Doctor Who and the Tenth Planet - Gerry Davis

Dry Ice - Bill and Jameson Evans

Frozen Memories - Stuart Thompson

Ice Bound: A Doctor's Incredible Battle for Survival at the South Pole - Jerri Nielsen

Ice Station - Matthew Reilly

In Cold Pursuit: A Mystery from the Last Continent - Sarah Andrews

Midnight Sun - M. J. Fredrick

Mountains of Madness: A Scientist's Odyssey in Antarctica - John Long

Nemoville - Brian Stableford

Melt - Natalie Anderson

Prey - John F. Merz

Race to the Pole - James Cracknell

Revise the World - Brenda Clough

Revolution Earth - Lambert Nagle

Skating to Antarctica - Jenny Diski

Subterranean by James Rollins

Sun at Midnight by Rosie Thomas

Superman: Eradication by Jerry Ordway

The Big Bang Symphony - Lucy Jane Bledsoe

The Brief History of the Dead by Kevin Brockmeier

The Coldest Place on Earth by Tim Vicary

The Coolest Race on Earth: Mud, Madmen, Glaciers and Grannies by John Hanc

the Deep Run - Douglas Daniel

The Good Luck Knot - Melissa Field

The Last Place on Earth: Scott and Amundsen's Race to the South Pole - Roland Huntford

The Nature of Ice by Robyn Mundy

The Ponies by Bernadettte Hall

The Silent Sea by Clive Cussler

The Terror - Dan Simmons

The Tourist Trail by John Yunker

Tom Crean: Unsung Hero of Scott and Shackleton Antarctic Expeditions by Michael Smith

Troubling a Star by Madeleine LEngle

Walli De Walvis by Paul Geers

Whiteout by Greg Rucka

Who Goes There? and Other Stories by John W. Campbell

More Antarctic Themed Novels

Polar Fiction

Ranker's Antarctica Book List

Ideas??

Alone, by Admiral Richard Byrd.

We read this many years ago.

From Amazon:

"When Admiral Richard E. Byrd set out on his second Antarctic expedition in 1934, he was already an international hero for having piloted the first flights over the North and South Poles. His plan for this latest adventure was to spend six months alone near the bottom of the world, gathering weather data and indulging his desire “to taste peace and quiet long enough to know how good they really are.†But early on things went terribly wrong. Isolated in the pervasive polar night with no hope of release until spring, Byrd began suffering inexplicable symptoms of mental and physical illness. By the time he discovered that carbon monoxide from a defective stovepipe was poisoning him, Byrd was already engaged in a monumental struggle to save his life and preserve his sanity.

When Alone was first published in 1938, it became an enormous bestseller."

Finished Leopard Geckos: Caring for Your New Pet by Casey Watkins today. Good thing it was a freebie on Kindle because it was even less useful than and, in my opinion, somewhat plagiarized from Leopard Geckos for Dummies.

Completed So Far

24. Leopard Geckos: Caring for Your New Pet by Casey Watkins

Still plugging away at 1Q84 and will likely finish this week. Not sure what I think yet. With only 200 pgs to go it has really slowed down and doesn't seem to be going anywhere. I am also reading Homeschooling Our Children Unschooling Ourselves.

In Process:

The Pilgrim’s Progress

Completed:

15.) The Handmaid’s Tale

14.) How to Eat a Cupcake

13.) Rome Sweet Rome

12.) Don Quixote

11.) Simplicity Parenting

10.) The Well-Educated Mind

9.) Gone Girl

8.) Last Child in the Woods

7.) East of Eden

6.) The $100 Start Up

5.) A Christmas Carol

4.) Dracula

3.) The Night Circus

2.) Switch

1.) Getting Things Done

Today I finished Middle Girl's read-aloud,

8. Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities.

I deserve some sort of extra credit for (a) reading all 479 pages out loud, when (b ) I really dislike Dickens.

----------------

His cold white head mingled with her radiant hair, which warmed and lighted it as though it were the light of Freedom shining on him.

"If you hear in my voice - I don't know that it is so, but I hope it is - if you hear in my voice any resemblance to a voice that once was sweet music in your ears, weep for it, weep for it! If you touch, in touching my hair, anything that recalls a beloved head that lay on your breast when you were young and free, weep for it, weep for it! If, when I hint to you of a Home that is before us, where I will be true to you with all my duty and with all my faithful service, I bring back the remembrance of a Home long desolate, while your poor heart pined away, weep for it, weep for it!"

She held him closer round the neck, and rocked him on her breast like a child.

"If, when I tell you, dearest dear, that

----------------

... and so on. If that child wants Oliver Twist, she's on her own.

Earlier today I finished Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry.

"No one knows what happened the night Echo Emerson went from popular girl with jock boyfriend to gossiped-about outsider with "freaky" scars on her arms. Even Echo can't remember the whole truth of that horrible night. All she knows is that she wants everything to go back to normal.

But when Noah Hutchins, the smoking-hot, girl-using loner in the black leather jacket, explodes into her life with his tough attitude and surprising understanding, Echo's world shifts in ways she could never have imagined. They should have nothing in common. And with the secrets they both keep, being together is pretty much impossible.

Yet the crazy attraction between them refuses to go away. And Echo has to ask herself just how far they can push the limits and what she'll risk for the one guy who might teach her how to love again."

It was a young adult novel, and I found it a good read.

Regards,

Kareni

Finally finished The Secret History of the Pink Carnation. 2.5 stars. Frothy & predictable. Mindless, easy, & frivolous enough as a beach or pool read if you're looking for that sort of thing. I guess it's considered historical romance. It's pretty lightweight as a historical fiction piece; not sure how it measures up as a romantic piece as I rarely read romances.

Also, I finished book 1 of 1Q84. Definitely getting more ominous. Note -- there may be spoilers in my next paragraph, depending on how far along you are in the book....

The end of book 1 reminded me of something I read in a different book earlier this year. Daughters of Copper Woman is a written version of oral history, myth, & folklore from NW coast natives. In the back of the book, the author very clearly stated that copying or using any of the stories was strictly prohibited always because the stories belong to the teller & the teller only & it inherently changes the story when it is written down, esp. when it is written, then copied or passed on. (She had special permission from the groups to take their oral stories & put them into writing, but that does not mean she can extend the permission to others.) I wish I could remember the exact wording she used. Anyway, the statement about the Little People maybe being mad about being put into writing very much reminded me of the author's warnings in the back of the other book. Seeing that similarity mentioned was interesting to me (esp. since 1Q84 talks about the oral tradition of history of the Gilyaks, Ainu, and American Indians).

Finished The Ultimate Guide to Leopard Geckos by Phoenix Hayes Simmons. Finally, a Leo book worth reading!

Completed So Far

24. Leopard Geckos: Caring for Your New Pet by Casey Watkins

25. The Ultimate Guide to Leopard Geckos by Phoenix Hayes Simmons

In addition to continuing 1Q84, I have started reading The End of Mr. Y by Scarlett Thomas.

http://www.nytimes.c...07231.html?_r=0

http://www.indieboun...k/9780156031615

Description from the IndieBound website:

A cursed book. A missing professor. Some nefarious men in gray suits. And a dreamworld called the Troposphere? Ariel Manto has a fascination with nineteenth-century scientists—especially Thomas Lumas and The End of Mr. Y, a book no one alive has read. When she mysteriously uncovers a copy at a used bookstore, Ariel is launched into an adventure of science and faith, consciousness and death, space and time, and everything in between. Seeking answers, Ariel follows in Mr. Y’s footsteps: She swallows a tincture, stares into a black dot, and is transported into the Troposphere—a wonderland where she can travel through time and space using the thoughts of others. There she begins to understand all the mysteries surrounding the book, herself, and the universe. Or is it all just a hallucination? With The End of Mr. Y, Scarlett Thomas brings us another fast-paced mix of popular culture, love, mystery, and irresistible philosophical adventure.

Today I read Scorched by Laura Griffin; it's a romantic suspense novel which I enjoyed. I'll look for other books by this author.

"Kelsey Quinn set out to trace a murder victim. Now she may become one.

The dead don’t speak, but Kelsey knows their secrets. As a forensic anthropologist at the Delphi Center crime lab, Kelsey makes it her mission to identify bodies using no more than shards of bone, and her find at a remote Philippines dig hints at a sinister story. When Kelsey’s search for answers puts her at the scene of her exfiancé’s murder, only one man can help her. The same man who broke her heart just months before, and who is also a prime suspect. Faced with an ultimatum— Kelsey or his job—Gage Brewer did the only thing a Navy SEAL could . . . but that doesn’t mean he stopped wanting Kelsey. Now Kelsey is running for her life and Gage is her last line of defense. As the threats escalate, Kelsey realizes this conspiracy goes deeper and higher than they could have guessed. With the clock ticking down on a madman’s plot, the slightest misstep will have unthinkable consequences. . . ."

And, while the cover art is eye catching, I have no idea how it's related to the book!

Regards,

Karen

I just finished part two of 1Q84. Yeah!!! I was starting to think I was going to be on the last 100 pages of that book for the next month. It took me a couple of days to get through them. Too tired to go on to part three tonight. I am curious to see what will happen next. I was surprised by the ending of part two so excited about it again.

I started "Sacred Sins" by Nora Roberts a few days ago so will read that. Really good. Not sure that I have ever read it.

I just made it to part two of 1Q84. I keep nodding off. lol Also, my brain hurts from trying to make Aomame's story and Tengo's story come together. I really want to start reading Hiroshima by John Hersey, but I'm afraid if I do, I will not come back to 1Q84.

I started "Sacred Sins" by Nora Roberts a few days ago so will read that. Really good. Not sure that I have ever read it.

That was a good read as was the follow up book (featuring the hero's partner, Ed Jackson) Brazen Virtue. I still have my original copy from the late 1980s.

Have you read the J.D. Robb ... in Death series? If I recall correctly, there is a character in those books, Feeney, who has a marked similarity to one of the characters from Brazen Virtue. Both eat candied nuts.

Regards,

Kareni

Mad, mad, mad. Progressing along in 1Q84, on page 756, then it jumped to 789, goes to page 820, then repeats 789 to 820 again. No other screw ups that I can see, but book ends on page 924. Emailing the publisher to see if they can provide me the missing pages. Just getting to a good part. Argggggggg! Need a pouty faced emoticon

Guess I'll start reading Nora Robert's Whiskey Beach which just arrived a couple days ago.

Mad, mad, mad. Progressing along in 1Q84, on page 756, then it jumped to 789, goes to page 820, then repeats 789 to 820 again. No other screw ups that I can see, but book ends on page 924. Emailing the publisher to see if they can provide me the missing pages. Just getting to a good part. Argggggggg!

When I've had a misprinted/misbound book, the bookseller has just provided me with a replacement copy. I presume they get reimbursed by the publisher or wholesaler. Would that be a quicker way of getting the pages for you?

When I've had a misprinted/misbound book, the bookseller has just provided me with a replacement copy. I presume they get reimbursed by the publisher or wholesaler. Would that be a quicker way of getting the pages for you?

I'm assuming that all the copies Amazon has of the Hardback are the same run and all have the same issue so decided to go through the publisher. They know me from doing reviews for them so keep fingers crossed.

I'm assuming that all the copies Amazon has of the Hardback are the same run and all have the same issue so decided to go through the publisher. They know me from doing reviews for them so keep fingers crossed.

How frustrating! I'll be eager to see how good they are to work with you. Keep us updated.

Mad, mad, mad. Progressing along in 1Q84, on page 756, then it jumped to 789, goes to page 820, then repeats 789 to 820 again. No other screw ups that I can see, but book ends on page 924. Emailing the publisher to see if they can provide me the missing pages. Just getting to a good part. Argggggggg! Need a pouty faced emoticon

How frustrating! I hope you can quickly get a complete book with no missing pages. As for me, I'm almost finished with Book 2.