Menu

Could it be appendicitis?

Ipsey

My 10-year-old says his belly has been cramping for a couple of hours.

He says it hurts to flex his belly muscles and to stand up straight. The worst pain is inferior to his rib cage on the left.

Nothing hurts at all when I palpate to the right at all.

Ideas?

Thanks!

This is a link to the Internet web site about health and medical issues that I trust. It is run by the U.S. government and there is no advertising. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/

It is not impossible that a 10 year old could have appendicitis. When I was about 12, we had a next door neighbor, approximately my age, who had Mumps or Measles and then......he got appendicitis.

I was at a concert, 4 years ago, and the young woman standing to my right (we were given tickets and in the most expensive area of concerts here, there are no seats.....), she had sat to my right, 2 nights before, at the first concert. She began experiencing incredible pain and before I knew it, she was over the security barrier and carried to the Red Cross station. They were very concerned that she might have appendicitis and she was taken to a hospital and she was there overnight, while they checked her out. I forget what her problem was, but it was not appendicitis. She was about 21 at that time. She was there by herself and another woman from our group ("IceGirl") went with her to the hospital, until a family member could be with her. That is an acute emergency and one should go to the E.R., rapidly....

I hope your DS is OK.

one test I was always told about is to press on the spot where the pain is and if it hurts worse when you release it, that is a sign of appendictis....fwiw....

huh. I just had mine out and it was the opposite. But I am contrary.

Hope your ds feels better! :grouphug:

Thanks, everyone, for sharing.

For some reason, apprendicitis is one thing that I've always been afraid of--not for me, but for my kids.

He seems to be doing well, and I'm really thinking this is just a severely strained muscle--though I have no idea how he did it. He said it started hurting in class today. But, it sure doesn't sound like the truly awful pain I'm reading about online and here.

I'm relieved!

I could be wrong, but I had heard that appendicitis comes with a high fever that goes away then comes back again. That was what I was told to watch for. Worry when a fever leaves then comes back quickly.

If you think it is a pulled muscle, try a heating pad or soaking in hot water. That should relieve it somewhat.

Good luck!

Hot Lava Mama

Get him checked out. A few weeks ago my SIL had some very bad abdominal pain, and appendicitis was suspected. It turns out it wasn't it, but they needed to rule it out. I'm not sure what the final diagnosis was, but she was on all sorts of pain meds and antacids.

A couple of years ago I had a very bad pain high up, in the chest. Went to an ER, where they gave me some killer pain meds through an IV and did some tests and imaging, but couldn't find the problem. They suspected ulcers or a hernia, though they could find nothing. When I checked in with my own doctor he suspected an infection, which white blood cells indicated. Antibiotics magically made the pain go away. I love my internist!

Any temp/fever? If yes, I'd go.

Can he jump up and down? Is he totally miserable and only comfortable curled up? If he can't jump up and down and is comfy only when curling up, that's also a sign.

Appetite? Sometimes they will be nauseated, but not always. Not interested in eating.

Pain can begin elsewhere in the beginning stages, then move to the right lower quad. It makes me suspicious that he is uncomfortable standing.

Abdominal pain is so tricky. Keep a close eye on him if you choose not to go, but I might lean towards going yet tonight if he can't get comfortable.

For dd, it was nausea and some vomiting, but no diarrhea. The pain continually became worse and it hurt to stand. She was lethargic and slept a lot and didn't improve, no matter what meds were given. Finally, on the way there, she said it felt like we were riding over a bumpy road (at the hospital, they asked if she had complained of bumpy roads and said it was a common complaint). She wasn't able to jump or bend her knees to her chest.

My dd9 had it when she was 7. The pain started early in the day, low in her belly, but otherwise she was fine. She told me her tummy hurt, pointed to her abdomen, and I asked when the last time she had a bowl movement was. Then, she went and played and acted like nothing was wrong. We went to my parents' that afternoon, and she came and told me her tummy hurt again, but again she went off and played like she was fine. By nine o'clock that night, as we were getting ready to leave my parents', she started to look like she didn't feel good. She ended up staying in our room overnight, and slept poorly. She never ran a high fever, just a low grade one that was manageable with Tylenol. At eight in the morning she woke up to go to the bathroom, and when she came back in the room she was crying telling me her tummy hurt low in her abdomen. I called our pediatrician, and they wanted to see her right away. On the way to the doctor she would beg me not to go over the bumps in the road because it made her tummy hurt worse. Once we got to the doctor, we were taken back right then, and he came in the room right then. Blood work was taken, and in about 15 minutes he came in and told me he had called ahead to the children's hospital and wanted us to go to the emergency room as they were expecting us. She had an ultrasound done, and by mid-afternoon she was in surgery. She went from acting normal to being in surgery in a little over 24 hours.

I say watch him, and if he is still complaining in the morning, take him to the doctor.

The only 100% sure way to diagnose appendicitis....is to remove the appendix and get an up close look.

And kids don't always present with it in the traditional adult way...with pain in the lower right quadrant.

If his pain continues unabated, and he has no signs of a stomach virus, then you might consider getting him checked out.

If he has a fever.

If he has no appetite (one of our surest tests in the peds office) and refuses food, that's an indicator. Kids who were willing to take a handful of candy and chow down on it, did NOT have appendicitis. LOL

If he can't jump up and down, that's a sign.

If he can't stand straight.

If he has rebound pain. Little to no pain when pressing on the abdomen, but pain when you release your fingers.

Also, if there is involuntary "guarding" in the abdomen. The internal abdominal muscles are contracting and they'll feel rigid to the touch, instead of soft and palpable.

If he has a "path of pain" from around his belly button down to the lower right side, just above his hip joint, over the course of 24 hours.

And this is not scientific, but most kids with appendicitis have a certain "look" when you press on their abdomen. They kind of squish their eyes almost closed and their upper lips sort of curls up.

Children also frequently complain of the road being "bumpy" when they're driving to the doctor's office with appendicitis. They are very sensitive to that and every little "glitch" in the road seems to produce pain. The same with coughing. That produces intense pain. This is called "cat's eye symptom". Seriously. LOL

If his fever jumps up (103 or higher), go to the ER.

The doctor will palpitate his abdomen...hard...to check for peritonitis. If he does have it, his abdominal muscles will spasm.

Try not to worry. Surgery for appendicitis is minimally invasive and the recovery time is short.

Have your ped check him out if his symptoms continue, or if he develops any on the above list. Remember, a sudden high fever means you need to go to the ER.

LOL...You posted before I finished my response. Glad to hear he is feeling better today!!

Thank you so much for taking the time to share all of the info though, Diane.

I'll refer to it the next time I'm worried about appendicitis :)