Menu

What would you do?? Child likes curriculum but "I" want to switch!!

pjssully

Ok. Ladies, need some input here. What would you do.....one of my children want to finish out the year doing XXX curriculum and I would like to finish out the with something New-something I am hoping to use next year. We won't finish the XXXX curriculum in 7 weeks anyways, since we started it later in the year. We have 7 weeks left, so I know its not too long,but I am sooo ready to switch. I want to give the new program a trail run to see how it will fit. On the other hand, I don't want to be "mean" or not let my child have the feeling of completion.

Thoughts?

I've changed things for me before, but never when my son *really* loved a curriculum and wanted to keep going in it. Most of the time, he was probably as bored as I was, but he just didn't say anything. ;)

What is your problem with the current curriculum? Is your child learning from it? Is it too difficult to teach?

Only 2 years of HS'ing experience here.....

Because you only have 7wks left, I would keep with it unless he isn't learning with it. However, I wouldn't hesitate to change the following year just because I didn't like it even if my child did. IMO, you have to use something that works for the student AND the teacher. If I don't enjoy something we are using, it doesn't get done as often/well as it should. Or, if I don't feel confident in how it teaches, then I may be doing my child a disservice and missing some important aspect of the program that he really needs to know.

Agree with PPs! I'd stick it out if we only had 7 weeks left. I would (and have) changed programs that I didn't care for...I think I'm way pickier than my DC! However, I think I'd start with the new one next year (if you were only 1/2 way through the program, that'd be a different story).

I was going to say stick it out as well. I'm using a curricululm for one of my kids that doesn't fit my learning style, is difficult to schedule, and feels like (to me in my irrational states) some of the work is a waste of school time.

But when I think about it logically and not from my own personal preferences I can see that she is learning lots, enjoying it, and engages with the material. So, I'll be sticking with it even into next year.

I'm swapping out curriculum for the other child that has a learning style more like mine, and we'll do the one I don't like as well a bit more as a suplement instead of a full-on curriculum. I think that will keep us all happy and sane.

I contenplated the curriculum choices for next year for a long time before deciding the direction we would take. I didn't want to have school be all about me and how I want to do it or how I learn. At the same time, I must be working with a curriculum that I feel has value, isn't a waste of my time, and I can "live with."

I vote for sticking it out unless dc likes it because it's too easy.

I'm bored with one of my curriculum choices for dd11. I bought a history program that should have lasted 2 to 2.5 years. But we have been going at a snail's pace and Y1 has already taken almost 2 years. Ugh. I want to switch to something with a faster pace. I talked to dd last night, and she loves the program. She told me she's learning a lot more than she would from a faster paced program. Sigh...I know she's right. I just need to get over my impatience and let go of my perfect 4-year history cycle.

I'm almost always ready to skip to next year's curriculum at this point in the year. However, it is important to stick it out. (I'm not sure why you started XXXX curriculum late in the year, but if it was because of a switch, it is even more important to finish up the year with it.)

I remember just "getting it done" with God's Design (old version Chemistry) one year when it was Very Painful For All of Us.

It'll be more exciting to get a fresh start in the fall with the new stuff, IMO.