Menu

Do your kids have to...

They need permission for a couple things. For example we ration out cookies (when dh makes them). and they must ask before helping themselves to ice tea or coke.

Youngest has a few other rules since he is prone to not finishing what he starts. For example he would happily eat the tops of 3 muffins in a row. He is also prone to forgetting to use a plate. This is even if he is given food at the table on a plate. He sort of forgets the plate and takes the bread, muffin, ... away with him when he goes to get something.

Yes, my children have been taught to ask before eating. It has nothing to do with food rationing or being controlling, but rather, it's about showing respect. My husband and I buy and provide food for them, and out of respect for our authority, they need to ask. This also helps them to be more thankful for the food that's provided!

Hmmm. My dds do not have to ask for food or snacks, yet they are always thanking me. They thank me for cooking any time I do so. They thank me for buying them a meal out, a treat out, or even just a drink while out. They also seem to have a very healthy amount of respect for us as parents. I don't think having to ask for food and/or snacks has anything to do with teaching them respect or thankfulness. I totally get why many require asking first, but I just really can't see it being about respect or having them be more thankful.

Do we set limits? No. But we are now a family of two and we tend to eat a light dinner and he has a snack before bed. If there were more of us, it would probably be better arranged, certain foods for snacks, and led by each child's behavior. My son has always been a light eater, at age 9 he couldn't finish a Happy Meal (yes we would eat them on rare occasion). Last night he ate 6 slices of a large pizza and was hungry before bed - generally we eat better than pizza and McDonalds, but those are the intake extremes. He's thin, not overly tall, and not involved in sports. He simply needs a lot of calories - I can't imagine how much he'd eat if he had a large frame and was in sports.

I do hope people are keeping these growth periods in mind when rationing food. Seeing what I have in ds, I would probably allow teens more access to food than an 8 year old.

I understand living on a tight budget. I also know what it's like to have teenagers in the house who eat EVERYTHING. I would not call it stealing. That could make your DS feel disrespected and as if he's not a member of the house. Explain to him about the budget, have him go with you to the store, plan meals/snacks. Prepare those meals and snacks. Teach him how to do your job. He will better understand the difficulties you face because he finished off the applesauce (and become a better man for it). If he knows that the applesauce is for lunch on Wednesday he won't eat it on Tuesday.... Also keep in mind that he really is hungry and will likely (easily) eat twice what you think he should eat. Give him healthy options that are reasonably priced and filling. Peanut butter, veggies, fruit, rice, oatmeal. Make extra at meal times and put away for him to eat as a "in between meal" the next day.

It kind of depends on the food. We keep an orchard worth, it seems like, of green apples and clementine oranges...they can eat those pretty much whenever so long as they eat at mealtime. Bananas, carrots, salad fixings are all the same. Now things like yogurts, that are $1 each and my kids will eat 6 of them in one sitting (each, not six between the three of them LOL) I do sort of ration. I will buy six or however many and then let it be known that they each have x amount of them to eat. I don't care how they eat them really, all at once, spread them out, but when you've used your allotment up don't whine or eat someone else's.

Things like zevias (soft drinks made with stevia), life waters, dark chocolate squares....those are treats and are bought with the intention of being used at certain times (on an outing, for family movie night, etc) and they don't get those without asking first. I'd be pretty hacked if they just drank/ate something they knew was intended to be a treat and not a free for all.

I only have three, but they are bottomless pits, so I understand watching the food dwindle with dismay.

We have pretty regular meal times and always have an afternoon snack. The snack choices are usually something healthy like fruit/yogurt/string cheese/granola bar. Kids can pick any one of these. Candy, chips and sweets are off limits unless you have permission.

If kids are hungry at other times, the only rule is they have to pick a healthy snack. My son is playing sports 5 days a week, so he might have a sandwich or something after practice so he isn't starved before breakfast rolls around.

Some of mine do, just because they are little lol. They all have to ask if they want a junky food (we generally don't keep any, but things like their Easter candy or leftovers from a party like chips). Otherwise no, I discourage them from depending on me. They are always welcome to snack on fruit, raw veggies, hummus, cheese, hard boiled eggs, nuts, dried fruit, ect.

Our household runs best on a schedule and with routine so I have set snack times between meals. Of course, if they are hungry when it's not snack time, I'll give them something small. Unless mealtime is very close (within 30 minutes) then they can wait for the meal because I don't want them filled with snacks and not eat the meal.

My three boys (7, 4 and 2) are allowed to eat from the snack items as they feel hungry. I always buy a drawer full of oranges, apples, and some other seasonal fruit, a bowl full of bananas, a container of peanuts and raisins, apple sauce, whole wheat crackers and cream cheese. I replenish these as needed. Generally, they only eat one or two snacks a day. My snack rule is that snacks must be eaten at the dining room table and cleaned-up when finished. Because snacks are not rationed I never hear the argument regarding getting equal shares. Everyone eats when he is hungry and until he is not. Once in awhile l I'll make a treat for snacks like a tray of brownies and these are more regulated.

My kids are free to help themselves to most things. They have to ask for sweets like ice cream. They aren't allowed to gorge on something. I bought strawberries. They know that can help themselves to SOME of the strawberries, but if the strawberries vanish in a day, they're going to have an irritated mom who wanted to have some for her breakfast the next day. I keep fruit in the house and things like baby carrots they can eat between meals. They can make themselves sandwiches or whatever if they get hungry. I don't keep chips in the house so I don't have to worry about them scarfing down something expensive and unhealthy. If they find something in the pantry that we don't usually have around, they ask before eating it in case I had bought it for some specific purpose.

I grew up in a house where food was controlled and we couldn't get anything without asking and I don't have a single sibling with a healthy relationship with food. I think letting kids eat healthy foods when they are hungry (with consideration for when meal times are), is important.

ETA: Just because my kids can eat whenever they want does not mean that they snack constantly or overindulge on things. If they get hungry, they get a snack, which is usually a piece of fruit, some popcorn, a piece of toast with peanut butter (don't know why), or some goldfish crackers.