Menu

8/1 Runners/walkers/bikers/breathers check in

I have been walking 8-10 miles a day all summer. I take every 10th day or so off from working out to clean the house completely(yes this is a workout in itself) I think by body and my dh appreciate this.

I have lost 20 pounds so far and have ten more to go. I hope to lose the last ten by September 1.

I'm back. I left at 6:30, got back at 7:00. I went 2 miles. Had to walk a bit, but I ran a lot more than usual. I took a new route; lots of cars, so I was suckin' in their exhaust :glare: Loverly.

At 6:30, it was only 70 degrees or so, but the humidity was over 90%. The first mile was actually, dare I say it, easy; by the middle of the 2nd mile, I wanted to just be done.

I have been walking 8-10 miles a day all summer. I take every 10th day or so off from working out to clean the house completely(yes this is a workout in itself) I think by body and my dh appreciate this.

I have lost 20 pounds so far and have ten more to go. I hope to lose the last ten by September 1.

Wow! VERY good! I was wondering how long it takes you too? At the beginning of the summer I was walk/running and I would run/walk 3, then walk my kids to karate for another 2, and then walk them to baseball for another 2. Do you split yours up too?

I'm back. I left at 6:30, got back at 7:00. I went 2 miles. Had to walk a bit, but I ran a lot more than usual. I took a new route; lots of cars, so I was suckin' in their exhaust :glare: Loverly.

At 6:30, it was only 70 degrees or so, but the humidity was over 90%. The first mile was actually, dare I say it, easy; by the middle of the 2nd mile, I wanted to just be done.

Hmmmm . . . the smell of exhaust in the am. Loverly is right! :glare:

I went out expecting to do 4.5 miles. It was SOOOOO humid and hot that I decided to call it quits after 4. I felt SOOO sluggish. I thought I was was running SO slowly and I walked in the middle of it. Anyway, I got home and was pleasantly surprised that I had been running for 40 minutes! Why does it feel so much worse in the humidity???? Now, I'm wet as if I'd just taken a shower.

How in the heck am I going to increase my mileage to 5.8 for the race in October???

I didn't post yesterday because I was frustrated with myself. I was in desperate need of new running shoes and yesterday my feet started to seriously protset. So I walked most of my route and didn't get halfway through my c25k intervals.

Last night I bought new running shoes.:D I can't get out for a run today, but I think will nordic track or Wii fit. I'm posting this so that I feel obligated to actually do something!

I just couldn't do it today. Wednesday's mountain bike ride did me in. Between the humidity, the biting flies, and a bad wreck I just didn't have any fun. I'll get back on track Saturday.

Wrecks will do anyone in! I ride on Saturday, fall off about 1/2 the time but always take Sunday off. I hope you feel better soon!

I didn't post yesterday because I was frustrated with myself. I was in desperate need of new running shoes and yesterday my feet started to seriously protest. So I walked most of my route and didn't get halfway through my c25k intervals.

Last night I bought new running shoes.:D I can't get out for a run today, but I think will nordic track or Wii fit. I'm posting this so that I feel obligated to actually do something!

Take it easy with the new shoes. I've broken in shoes 2 ways - (1) run every other day for 2 weeks. (2) Just run in them, make a clean break from the old ones. Both worked and I didn't get injured either way. Although the time I got shoes that didn't fit right, I got the most awful blisters on my instep I've ever seen! I ordered new shoes and they should get here today!

I no longer run for the sake of my back, but walking is a favorite passion. I love the accountability on this thread, so I'm jumping in here, too.

Dh and I walked a short 25 minutes at a brisk pace this morning. Not as hot as it has been, but humid. I think I need to grow some gills. Normally, we walk 45 minutes each morning.

We need to learn some easy weight lifting routines. Any suggestions on books or DVDs?

I think I need to grow some gills. Normally, we walk 45 minutes each morning.

We need to learn some easy weight lifting routines. Any suggestions on books or DVDs?

I think we all need gills for the summer. :lol:

No suggestions for weight lifting. Sorry.

Today was a walking day. My walking partner had to quit early, so we only got 2 miles in today. But, that is so much more than we were doing at the beginning of the summer! :001_smile:

I'm down 13 pounds today. Yay! ::party: I only have...well...50-60 more to go. :001_huh:

Just completed 8th WATP one mile workout. Yesterday my youngest dd6 burst in tears because I didn't wake her up to work out with me. So today I woke her up at 6:45 and she came and worked out with me. He older sister also woke early and joined us. Afterwards they both were like "that was short". Whatever! Hey today I made it through all the sections. I will add the weights next week. Soon I will move to the two mile!:D

Just completed 8th WATP one mile workout. Yesterday my youngest dd6 burst in tears because I didn't wake her up to work out with me. So today I woke her up at 6:45 and she came and worked out with me. He older sister also woke early and joined us. Afterwards they both were like "that was short". Whatever! Hey today I made it through all the sections. I will add the weights next week. Soon I will move to the two mile!:D

Great job!!!

I went 2 miles today---just over half of it runnning. I ran a little further back up my hill than I did yesterday. I fooled around and didn't get out there until 8:00 and the heat and humidity were brutal.

I did something to my shoulder. I was in such pain from it yesterday that I had to go get a massage. I'm better today, but couldn't force myself out of bed at 5:30 due to the 1/2 muscle relaxer I took last night. :tongue_smilie:

I also did 25 crunches on my exercise ball. Anyone else use one?

WTG Traci! (Sorry for spelling your name wrong yesterday!)

I went 2 miles today---just over half of it runnning. I ran a little further back up my hill than I did yesterday. I fooled around and didn't get out there until 8:00 and the heat and humidity were brutal.

I did something to my shoulder. I was in such pain from it yesterday that I had to go get a massage. I'm better today, but couldn't force myself out of bed at 5:30 due to the 1/2 muscle relaxer I took last night. :tongue_smilie:

Hope your shoulder turns out ok. Don't mess with too much. Great job on the run/walk!

Well... when I found out that dh wasn't going to be able to run with me, I had high hopes for becoming one with the road and running the whole 25 minutes again. Then I walked out the door. It was a very, very humid 80 degrees at 7:30. I can't wait for October. So, I only squeaked out 1.75 miles in 19 minutes. I walked another 3 miles to make up for the 6 minutes of running I couldn't do. I'm okay with it though. I have come to terms that this is not a race. LOL I have plenty of time to work my way up to longer runs.

Well, I have an exercise ball - does that count? Just yesterday I did 15 crunches on it and was thinking I should do that every day.

I put in my time on Wii fit for the day. 18 minuets of "aerobic" and a few minuets of balance. But its just not the same as a run...

My husband asked me to walk with him this morning. We are enjoying a beautiful sunny day. Believe me, sun has been rare this summer. So we walked about 8 km in about 75 minutes. It was very nice. (But I have to say I really wanted to run but my husband is not a runner.)

Anyway I'm pleased with the walk and I did a bit of stretching afterwards. I've got to work up to more stretching though.

I don't have one but was exposed to using one when I was in my triathlon training class. I LOVE it! We would do a 25 minute workout using the ball, it was great! Much more challenging, imo. Enjoy it! I kinda wish I had one, but it is big to store!:)

I don't know how to use one for crunches though I have one! :001_huh:

In my post earlier I said the wrong name---I DID do the Jillian MICHAELS exercise dvd called "30 Day Shred". Owwww! I'm sure some of you could do Level 2 or 3 without any problem. For me, Level 1 was enough of a challenge!!! I'll try to do something else later this afternoon, but I'm a bit sore from this workout!

Anyone ever seen this? It's great, and really not TOO hard!

runningirl, did you get the Pilates workout in?

Ok so this seems to be more than just a running thread. I have to say I am the only one in my family who never liked to run. This week I started to do my Taebo workout tape and boy am I sore. I have been good all week to do activities and worked out 3x with the tape. I like the idea of accountability too. My dh is too nice and doesn't force the issue. Thanks!

Ok so this seems to be more than just a running thread.
Yeah, that's why I joined, to get some accountability!

I have to say I am the only one in my family who never liked to run. This week I started to do my Taebo workout tape and boy am I sore. I have been good all week to do activities and worked out 3x with the tape. I like the idea of accountability too. My dh is too nice and doesn't force the issue. Thanks!
You can do it, we'll encourage you!

I ran a few miles and biked another three home. Seems like I feel so low-energy lately during my runs; it's getting old. Not that I'm ever a zippity-do-dah runner, but it just feels lately like I'm dragging. And I'm not dragging, time-wise, but that low energy feeling is frustrating. Anyone else who's run a while know what I mean and have any ideas how to counter it?

runningirl, did you get the Pilates workout in?

Inquiring minds need to know: did we pilates or didn't we??? :D

We did! In fact, I just got done with them! If it weren't for the two of you holding me accountable . . . :)

I didn't really want to do them, but they aren't physically tiring. The workout I do is mainly for flexibility and toning. I do LOVE to exercise at night though. My body seems more energetic than in the morning. But, due to schedules, I usually exercise in the morning.

:lurk5:

I ran a few miles and biked another three home. Seems like I feel so low-energy lately during my runs; it's getting old. Not that I'm ever a zippity-do-dah runner, but it just feels lately like I'm dragging. And I'm not dragging, time-wise, but that low energy feeling is frustrating. Anyone else who's run a while know what I mean and have any ideas how to counter it?

Yes, I know what your talking about. For me, I feel that way when:

1. My body hasn't adequately rested. Sometimes I push myself a little too much and my bod revolts against me. I don't think I'm pushing myself, but my body says otherwise. I usually feel this way when I exercise 5 days in a row. If I exercise three days in a row doing the same type of exercise {3 days of running for ex.} I can also feel this way.

2. I don't exercise at the time my body wants me to. Seriously. With the way life is, it is best schedule wise to exercise in the morning. It is the first thing I do when I get up and then it is done. I am tempted to skip it if I wait. BUT, when I do exercise in the afternoon/evening my body definitely has more energy and I am faster then when I go out in the morning. I found this out when I was training for my tri. My training classes were early evening.

Sometimes, it's just a bad exercise week. I've had weeks where I 've felt low energy the whole week, but then the next week I'm back to normal. Hang in there Colleen!

Yes, I know what your talking about. For me, I feel that way when:

2. I don't exercise at the time my body wants me to. Seriously. With the way life is, it is best schedule wise to exercise in the morning. It is the first thing I do when I get up and then it is done. I am tempted to skip it if I wait. BUT, when I do exercise in the afternoon/evening my body definitely has more energy and I am faster then when I go out in the morning. I found this out when I was training for my tri. My training classes were early evening.

This is my experience too. In the morning my legs feel 900 pounds each but when I run at 4:30 (my favourite time) I feel much more able to run.

Of course I'm not an experienced runner. This is just my experience.

But from what I've read I think you're doing great.