Menu

camera poll

Word Nerd

DSLR camera preference  

59 members have voted

1. 1. For DSLR cameras, which do you prefer?

• Canon
    • Nikon
    • Other

For DSLR cameras, do you prefer Canon, Nikon, or something else?

Feel free to elaborate with specific models, how you reached that conclusion, etc.

---

Update: I recently bought a Nikon D3100 and really like it so far. There's definitely a learning curve since my previous camera is a Canon PowerShot Elph (which is my favorite point-and-shoot I've ever owned), but I'm enjoying the process!

You know how some companies' tactic is to hook the consumer while she's young, and count on her to develop brand loyalty?

Well it worked on me LOL.

I've only owned Hondas, I only buy Coke, I've only banked at Wells Fargo, and I only shoot Nikon (since inheriting my first SLR at age 12).

I have smaller hands, and the Nikon is a better fit for me.

But pretty much what Kayaking Mom said B) it boils down to preference.

People tend to have an affinity for the menu layouts on either canon or Nikon so its worth having a play. I have always liked canon cameras but am tempted over to Nikon at the moment. If you want an entry level SLR the canon rebel range are great. I also think that at entry level you probably are gonna get bogged down over analysing minor differences that maybe won't get used. Nikon has greater low light capabilities on its cameras generally and canon better lenses but that's very general. I think its an easier question to answer if you specify what kind of photography you want it for or what your budget is.

I've always had Canon cameras before, but we've never had a DSLR. We still have DH's old 35mm Canon Rebel G in a closet along with the lens that came with it. My FIL has a Nikon D3100 and loves it, and DH wants that one. We could also get a good deal on the same model and lenses. I'm still not convinced, though it looks like it would be a good fit for us. I feel silly to be hesitating just because it isn't a Canon. I never really learned how to use the Rebel, so I would have a learning curve with either brand.

I want to learn to take good photos. I really like the Canon PowerShot ELPH I have for everyday snapshot use, and maybe I should do more with its manual features or get some film and play around with our 35mm Rebel before getting a DSLR. The main issue with the ELPH is that photos we take in gyms at basketball games and concerts never turn out right because of the poor light and the distance.

I'm answering for my 14yo who is the camera person in this house.

She researched and handled a lot of cameras before deciding on a Nikon D5100. She very much wanted a screen that she could pull out so she could record herself playing music. The D5100 was supposed to be better for video and because she can pull out the screen, she can see from the front side of the camera whether or not she is in view.

I'm a Canon girl, and have a huge amount invested in lenses. I know LOADS of people who love their Nikons just as dearly. Honestly, you can't go wrong with either. They are both excellent and I wouldn't really say either are better. It just comes down to which one feels better in your hands? Which controls feel more intuitive to you?

And once you start buying lenses, it gets pricey to switch, so be sure before you invest in one.

Personally, I like Kodak, but that is no longer an option. I think Nikon takes more vibrant pictures, but it's easier to upgrade w/ a Canon. They're both good, do as others suggest, and go play w/ them. Search the board for past threads, someone mentioned a store (In NY, I think) where you can order both, take up to 200 pics, and send it back if you don't like it.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been through a Canon Rebel, Canon 40D, Nikon D300, Canon 5D, and now I have the Nikon D700. The Nikon D700 is hands down the best of all I've owned! I'd never return to Canon, except for the fact that their "L" lenses are AWESOME, but the inconsistency of the Canon's and the layout aren't worth going back. Nikon has beautiful lenses, problem is, I cannot afford the ones I want. I have a 50mm 1.4G which is very nice, and I have the cheaper 85mm 1.8D, but I REALLY want a 85G and the 135mm, plus a wide angle would be nice to have for occasional use!

I'm a Nikon girl too. But my Dad is a Canon devotee. You'll find (especially on the internet) lots of people that have rabid opinions about one over the other, but they both take great pictures! I'd say do your research, but when you have your top choices in each brand figured out, go to a store with both and hold them in your hands for a while and see which feels best to *you*.

One of the reasons I picked by D3100 is because it was compact enough to be comfortable in my little hands, the ergonomics weren't in all the wrong places like in a lot of the others. It sounds silly maybe but it is true!

My dad had a bunch of Nikon equipment that I inherited after he passed away. Lenses from 40 years ago fit the current Nikon D7000 I have. I have been really happy with the Nikons that I have had and will not change to a different DSLR. There is too much money tied up in the lenses for me to even consider it.