Menu

Morning protein shakes?

soonermomma

I'm getting ready to restart my weight loss journey. I will be back in the gym and eating much healthier than I have in the last several years. I'm not a big breakfast person an would prefer some sort of protein shake in the morning to get me going, rather than eating a meal. What is the best or most healthy protein shake to have for breakfast?

Thanks!

I'm looking for ideas too, working on getting the weight off from the last two babies. I usually eat eggs for breakfast but would like a protein shake some mornings. I'm dairy & soy free due to DS3's sensitivities so that is complicating things for me.

Me, I like almond milk with either MRM whey protein or Maca Pro vegan protein (with maca - great for energy), and that's it.

The MRM has no odd sweeteners or other crap. The Maca Pro (also called Maca Up) is vegan and soy (as well as wheat, etc) free.

There are so many different ones and it depends on your viewpoint on "best" both regarding taste and healthy-ness.

I have probably 8 different ones in my pantry (a friend who had weight loss surgery ended up being allergic to whey after the surgery).

One she introduced me to before surgery was Nectar. It was good enough for me to try more of and there are several flavors at Vitacost.com

I really like the cappuccino and put it in "milk" (non-dairy) though yesterday I put it in vanilla coconut milk and that was *way* too sweet; but I didn't have anything else.

Anyway, one she gave after surgery was Unjury. My daughter prefers that one.

The good thing with those is that you're just getting the protein powder and a good taste without getting other "junk." Many powders have a great deal of sugar and other "stuff" in them. Of course, there are drawbacks too. You just have to decide what you want.

I don't drink protein shakes every day which may make a difference also.

I have been having a protein bar and 32 oz of water in the morning before working out (5:30am). I'm ready for breakfast at 8, but not starving to death. The protein bar is easy to eat and is a good way to get some sugars and protein to sustain a hard workout.

We have been buying some, but we also are experimenting with different paleo ones to make.

BTW, before, we were doing green smoothies and I still think that could be an excellent start of the day. We're just in experimentation mode right now. Well, and I'm not running my Vitamix at 5:30 in the morning with a household of kids sleeping :)

I don't eat heavy in the morning, but I love my shakes. My morning breakfast is a scoop of chocolate muscle milk naturals protein powder, 2 Tbl of chocolate PB2 (powdered peanut butter), 1/2 banana, 1/4 cup of raw quick oats, a cup of plain unsweetened almond milk, 4 ice cubes and 1/2 cup water. Yum.

Have fun experimenting. Just start throwing in a bunch of stuff. You can buy protein powder or not. Options are only limited to what you can or can't eat.

Kefir

Cow milk, almond milk, hemp milk, flax milk, coconut milk, soy milk, rice milk, etc.

Yogurt (any kind)

Cottage cheese

Fruit of every kind

Greens

Nut butters

Chia seed

Flax seed

Coconut oil

Use your creativity

I don't eat heavy in the morning, but I love my shakes. My morning breakfast is a scoop of chocolate muscle milk naturals protein powder, 2 Tbl of chocolate PB2 (powdered peanut butter), 1/2 banana, 1/4 cup of raw quick oats, a cup of plain unsweetened almond milk, 4 ice cubes and 1/2 cup water. Yum.

That seems like pretty heavy morning eating to me, lol. I am not sure I could stomach a chocolate peanut butter banana oat shake!

About twice a week I have a protein shake. I use:

1 c. fat-free milk

1 scoop vanilla whey protein shake mix

1 large stalk of fresh kale

1 t. ground flax seed

1 t. food-grade diatomaceous earth

8 whole, salt-free almonds

handful of frozen stawberries

about 5 chunks of frozen pineapple

Blend on the smoothie setting.

It doesn't look too appealing, but it tastes delicious. I get my dairy, fruit, nuts, veggies and grains all in one sitting and it keeps me full until lunch time!

This is what I was for! I like all of these ingredients. The only one I have never had is almond milk, but I can't imagine I wouldn't like it. Do you think there would be a big difference between using almond milk and skim milk?

Almond milk is great, but I only buy the sweetened vanilla flavor, so I think it loses some of it's "good" nutrition with the added sugar. Regular unsweetened almond milk is kind of yucky- even dh doesn't like it and he likes everything!

Maybe a silly question, but if you are low carbing. Isn't most of these drinks filled with carbs or sugar? And doesn't it make you gain weight?

I was wondering the same - if weight loss is a goal, I'd watch the morning carbs (including fruit) carefully

Maybe a silly question, but if you are low carbing. Isn't most of these drinks filled with carbs or sugar? And doesn't it make you gain weight?

Actually no. You're trying to do low carb - not no carbs. For instance, fat free milk has 13 carbs per cup. I use berries in my shakes - they are very low carb. The whey protein powder I use only has 7 grams of carbs. The kale I add has virtually no carbs. Almonds and nuts in general are very low carb. Flax seed has no substantial carbs. The only high fruit carb I do add is pineapple. That's why I restrict how many cubes I put in. Another thing to remember is that for every gram of fiber, you can deduct one gram of carbs. So foods high in fiber offset some of the total carbs in that food. Hence the reason nuts, seeds, berries and leafy greens are considered very low carb foods.

Actually no. You're trying to do low carb - not no carbs. For instance, fat free milk has 13 carbs per cup. I use berries in my shakes - they are very low carb. The whey protein powder I use only has 7 grams of carbs. The kale I add has virtually no carbs. Almonds and nuts in general are very low carb. Flax seed has no substantial carbs. The only high fruit carb I do add is pineapple. That's why I restrict how many cubes I put in. Another thing to remember is that for every gram of fiber, you can deduct one gram of carbs. So foods high in fiber offset some of the total carbs in that food. Hence the reason nuts, seeds, berries and leafy greens are considered very low carb foods.

So what is the reason for a protein shake? Does this take place of a meal? I cannot handle anything for breakfast other then coffee. Then I have lunch and dinner. And a snack. Usually an Atkins bar. Can you drink it for a snack?

I'm another Jay Robb whey PP fan. Jay Robb is stevia sweetened, rGBH free, and has cleaner ingredients than most PP. I use it in unsweetened almond milk. Sometimes I add peanut butter or add berries, etc.

Like a PP, I find the vanilla good when blended with coffee. In the summer months, that's sometimes my breakfast when I don't feel like eating. I do vanilla whey PP, a half packet or so of Starbucks Via (unsweetened type-most have sugar already added), vanilla almond milk, ice, and a little xanthan gum, which keeps the ice in suspension and thickens the whole thing. And then tweak with a little erythritol and or stevia. That also works well for an afternoon pick me up in the warmer months for me.

I do think for people actively trying to lose weight, it is generally better to skip stuff like shakes at first. But for ongoing or maintenance or people who LC without trying to actively lose a lot of weight, shakes can definitely be made LC. Some people just might not lose as well using things like shakes vs. something like eggs for breakfast. I've seen reports that it varies.

So what is the reason for a protein shake? Does this take place of a meal? I cannot handle anything for breakfast other then coffee. Then I have lunch and dinner. And a snack. Usually an Atkins bar. Can you drink it for a snack?

Because they are yummy. Because you can put just about anything in them which makes them a great way to get in fruits and veggies....especially for kids. Because they are easy and fast meals/snacks. And because when you work out (especially weight/strength training) that extra protein is needed for repairing and building muscle.

I've done morning protein shakes both ways....

In terms of a commercial product, the Matrix 5.0 brand has a really awesome quality protein and it really helps keep you full. I drank the mint cookie one this morning. It's nice to be able to make and take in a shaker cup on those mornings I don't want to wake anyone using the blender or when I don't have time to grab a gazillion ingredients.

In terms of the dump ingredients shake goes....spinach-berry-flaxseed-almond milk is my favorite....with a vanilla flavored powder. Chocolate powder-banana-natural peanutbutter-milk is a lovely treat.