Menu

I need a specific kind of recommendation

I need a book for a 12yo girl that loves sci-fi and fantasy. I would like the main character to be bright, have problems with peers, then deal-with or overcome that and realize her strength hopefully in an action-filled scenario in a sci-fi or fantasy setting.

Is that too much to ask? Anyone have an idea? Harry Potter doesn't count because it is an often-read tome.

Thanks.

Ann McCaffrey's Dragonsong Trilogy? Dragonsong, Dragonsinger, Dragondrums

http://www.amazon.com/Dragonsong-Harper-Hall-Trilogy-Book/dp/0689860080/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363454305&sr=8-1&keywords=Dragonsong

Here is a review from By Silmarwen VINEâ„¢ VOICE

Format:Paperback

Dragonsinger is the second book in the Harper Hall Trilogy and is the sequel to Dragonsong. It starts right after the previous book ends, with Menolly arriving in Harper Hall a-dragonback. There she begins her musical education with the masters of music. Menolly always thought that harpers would be different and that she would fit in among them, but she finds that people are the same wherever you go. All of the other girls are jealous of her musical talents and do not want her living in their cottage. The boys insist that she has no place with them and her nine fire lizards make her stand out even more. Still, she is Masterharper Robinton's special apprentice and he seems to believe in her and to love her new songs. As Menolly struggles to find her place among the harpers of Pern she will discover much about herself, as well as the remarkable secrets about fire lizards and eventually find an honored place among the Harpers of Pern.

wrinkle in time? i love the dragonriders of pern, but i gave it to my daughter at that age and she informed me it was inappropriate. i guess i'd read them in high school. havent read it, but maybe golden compass?

I thought Golden Compass and then I couldn't remember if she had trouble with her peers. Same with Narnia or Lemony Snickett. I can't recall trouble with peers being in there too much. Maybe the Eragon series? Or Coraline? Llyod Alexander books?

FYI: Dragonrider's of Pern does have inappropriate content for young children, but McCaffrey's Dragonsong books are written for young people and are fine.

This is true. I read the Dragonsong books first (as a young teen) and loved them, then moved on to the other Dragonrider books and was quite taken aback at the intervals of inappropriate content...

But the Dragonsong books are fine.

These all have a female protagonist; not sure these address the "having problems with peers" aspect.

Fantasy

The Ordinary Princess (Kaye)

Dragon Slippers -- and sequels (George)

Theodesia and the Serpents of Chaos -- and sequels (LaFevers)

Howl's Moving Castle; House of Many Ways (Jones)

Ella Enchanted (Levine) -- and others by Gail Carson Levine

The Treekeepers (Britton)

Tuck Everlasting (Babbitt)

The Rumpelstiltskin Problem (Velde) -- a series of short stories, all from different POVs, retelling the same tale

Tombs of Atuan (LeGuin)

Sci-Fi

Dogbody (Jones)

The Game (Jones)

A Tale of Time City (Jones)

Wrinkle in Time; Wind in the Door (L'Engle)