Menu

New thing I dislike on the web

momofkhm

So first it was pop-ups. Then we got pop-up blockers. The under pops - where you find the ad when you close the window. The ads before videos. Ok I don't like it, but at least I can kill it in like 5-10 seconds. I don't have to watch the whole thing.

But these news ones where there is a video window ad and the video just starts playing. Oy! I tend to open several windows at once and then go look at them one at a time. Then my computer starts making noise - where is it coming from!? I have to go through 3 or 4 windows before I find it. And usually my volume is down low enough that I can hear it but not understand it. So it's not an effective advertising technique anyway.

Agreed. I hate this too. I'm always startled when the talking begins. I also dislike blogs that have music playing in the background. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: on both counts. I expect annoyance from corporations, so I just grumble about the ads. But I can't figure out why anyone would put music on their blog. Silence is golden, people. And if I don't want quiet, I want to pick FOR MYSELF what I'm listening to while I read your stuff.

Yup. Totally annoying. And then the video you actually wanted to watch is over and you can't get back to it, because it started playing as soon as you opened the page even though you didn't tell it to start playing?

AND How about when you research something and purchase it, and then you get sidebar ads for that item for the next two weeks?!?!

My kids have virtually fixed my internet stresses by convincing me to switch over to Google Chrome (free!) browser (from Internet Explorer) and showing me how to add the AdBlock and AdBlock Plus (FREE!) extensions. It takes all of 3 minutes to install Chrome and add the extensions, and another 20 seconds to import all your IE favorites to your Chrome browser.

It blocks all ads, and I have never seen a pop-up again! If I had a nickle for every Netflix pop-up I've closed in IE!! (I keep wanting to scream that I ALREADY HAVE NETFLIX! Can't you use my cookies to not bother advertising to me!)

Anyway, I suggest getting some smart teenager to show you how to do the above steps. You'll be sooo much happier!

So first it was pop-ups. Then we got pop-up blockers. The under pops - where you find the ad when you close the window. The ads before videos. Ok I don't like it, but at least I can kill it in like 5-10 seconds. I don't have to watch the whole thing.

But these news ones where there is a video window ad and the video just starts playing. Oy! I tend to open several windows at once and then go look at them one at a time. Then my computer starts making noise - where is it coming from!? I have to go through 3 or 4 windows before I find it. And usually my volume is down low enough that I can hear it but not understand it. So it's not an effective advertising technique anyway.

me too! I hate that, especially when they bury it *somewhere* on a long page. Why can't they ask you if you want it or not because it's not always ads anyway. I've all but left weather.com because they do this and it's SO annoying.