Menu

No more puffy sleeves, but still red hair

ElizabethB

I don't care for it, either. The old logo and font were antiquated enough to look retro and unapologetic. The new one still looks dated, only tired and kind of 1987.

They've made some weird advertising choices lately. I've noticed two sets of their television commercials. One features the real Wendy, who is a lovely but not supermodel-beautiful woman; at the same time, they're running commercials with a glamorous, thin, young, red-haired actress (sort of suggesting that they, and we, wish the real Wendy looked like that). They're both perfectly adequate choices, but I wonder about the wisdom of running them simultaneously.

But as Elizabeth points out, at least Wendy isn't blonde and leaning seductively against a hay bale. So we have that going for us.

When I saw this thread title I envisioned a new version of Anne of Green Gables in which Matthew doesn't buy her the dress with puffed sleeves...

Glad to know only Wendy has changed, not Anne.

Well, most of the reason I posted this was that Anne did undergo change, and people weren't happy!

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/456939-the-new-anne-of-green-gables-whataya-think/page__hl__+anne%20+blond#entry4735489

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/452854-a-blond-anne-of-green-gables/page__st__50__hl__+anne%20+blond#entry4674024

As Belacqua said,

But as Elizabeth points out, at least Wendy isn't blonde and leaning seductively against a hay bale. So we have that going for us.

I actually kind of like it. It's not a major scandalous change making the logo unrecognizable or anything like that. I think they did a good job of maintaining the feel of the old logo while making it a bit fresher. Wendy is even wearing the same high collar and broach, same pigtails. I also like the new font.

I would have been peeved if they had totally done away with the founder's vision for the logo, such as removing the pigtails, switching to a full silhouette or having Wendy munching a hamburger, etc., or even removing Wendy altogether. IMO, they just removed the boxy outline and updated the graphics a bit.

Was it really necessary considering the big bucks the change must be costing, in this economy??? No. Do I think it will increase their sales? No. Is it a mistake or step backward. No. I'm not complaining, it's cute. Just not the best use of limited resources when businesses are trying to stay competitive in a failing economy.

Are they gonna stop saying "old fashioned hamburgers" now?

Never was really sure what was "old fashioned" about them.

I don't find the change to be very significant. I wonder how much money they spent on the transition, LOL.

Updating the logo would be necessary if the Wendy's Corporation is planning to revamp their restaurants -- and hopefully they will, since many of them have gotten a little shabby. Logo updating costs comparatively little in the grand scheme of things. However, it gives the brand a fresh look and signals to the customers that Wendy's restaurants are clean and modern.

You know what, after looking at the new logo again, I wish they had used color in a more attractive way. Everything is fire-engine red and swimming-pool blue. It looks "fresh" but a little unsophisticated. But maybe they're not trying to have a "big business" look?