Menu

spelling curriculum that doesn't require starting from the beginning

We've tried several spelling programs, including the much talked about all about spelling, but none have been a good fit. I'd like to find something more than just lists of words. The issue is that many of the highly recommended 'freestanding' spelling programs I look into is structured so kids start the program from the beginning and relearn how to spell from the ground up.

It's turned into a yearly cycle. Try a spelling program, start with 'what sound does the a make', kids get bored and think it's so simple it's not worth the effort, try to deal with it/move more quickly until a higher level, get discouraged, try new program, etc.... We've used three programs in three years and are not interested in starting over again. If math programs are able to assume kids understand the basics and can begin the year with a bit of review then delve into new material a spelling program should too.

What are the options for a complete spelling curriculum (not just a workbook with weekly lists) that does not assume everyone has used it all along or wants to start an entire subject over?

You can work through Spell To Write And Read, but give your child a placement test and start at a higher level. I did that. I didn't start my dd on List A. However, it does require you to first revise all the basic phonogram sounds, vowel sounds etc.

Or you could buy the manual for How To Teach Spelling. That is full of advanced words and I am sure you can start with any phonogram sound you like. Just go over the sound, the phonograms that make that sound, then dictate the words, phrases and sentences that use those phonograms.

well, Spelling Power is mostly just a list of words, and a method of going through them, and a bunch of game ideas.

but . . . you do pretests to figure out where the kids are, and every week you test the words before studying them, so you only have to study the words you know. its one book that covers up to high school. i bought a really old, used copy on amazon because spelling hasnt changed that much. they do now have the worksheets on a cd you can buy, to make it easier to print them off - i had to scan mine and they were UGLY! you can buy the cd on their website if you buy an older copy that doesnt have it.

i really liked the idea. and actually liked their study method - but my son is a terrible speller and really DID need to start from scratch again. we're using Logic of English now but i could see going back to the spelling power lists later

In addition to the above mentioned ones...

R&S Spelling (start at grade level)

Spelling Power (there are placement tests in the book)

WRTR (has a placement test sold separately)

Apples & Pears (placement test on the Sound Foundations website)

... off the top of my head.

I'm doing Logic of English with my 10 yo, but using the Advanced spelling list available on their website. It's a nice combo - it's reviewing basic spelling rules from the ground up, but the words are actually more interesting and challenging than words that would be found on a "beginner" spelling list.

In addition to the above mentioned ones...

R&S Spelling (start at grade level)

Spelling Power (there are placement tests in the book)

WRTR (has a placement test sold separately)

Apples & Pears (placement test on the Sound Foundations website)

... off the top of my head.

Spalding (Spalding is the Method; WRTR is the manual) does still require the children to learn all of the phonograms, which may seem to the children as if they're starting from the beginning; however, they learn those as quickly as possible instead of doing four a day, and they can start further in the Extended Ayres List instead of in Section A-G.

Phonetic Zoo, if they can place in it (I think they have to finish a couple levels of AAS first?)

Spelling Workout would be easy to place them in without starting over. Just check out the table of contents from each level on CBD.com and you should have good idea of which level to put them in. You might have a bit of hit and miss with the first level you start, but you can easily cross out lessons that aren't necessary and not feel terrible about it since the books are very cheap (10 - 15 bucks?). It is more than just a list of words and includes word study: prefixes, suffixes, root words, contractions, dictionary skills, even proofreading for spelling & grammatical mistakes. It also includes activities like unscrambles, crosswords, etc, to help make the words memorable. There is built in review as well as a "spelling notebook" section in the back for the child to write the words from each lesson that gave them the most trouble, so they can review them later (which they are prompted to do). It can be pretty independent.

The kids and I liked AAS but had a hard time getting it done due to baby sister's constant interruptions, so I decided I needed to switch to something that would get done and make some headway. They have finished Spelling Workout B & C, and just started level D.

edited: lol, I just realized I wrote "spelling zoo" and not "phonetic zoo." Just fixed it.

If you want a slightly different approach, Marcia Henry's Words combines word roots and spelling. It does start with simple words, but quickly gets to more advanced ones and it is easy to more to the advanced ones after quickly teaching any rules or patterns that are needed.

http://www.proedinc.com/customer/productView.aspx?id=989

The samples are from early on, the words get much harder. You can print out an unlimited number of wotksheets and it is not consumable.

Thanks for all the replies! We've tried spelling workout but we need something beyond just a workbook with a weekly list and pages of work using those words. Something with activities and/or manipulatives but that does not involve lots of little paper squares and bringing out a big whiteboard for every lesson (can you tell what is driving me nuts right now?). Lots of ideas for how to teach but that does not require following a script. Maybe we just need to order a bunch of books to see in person?

We are finally having good results with Sequential Spelling. It starts with a root such as "up" and then adds new beginnings and endings to make to new words, such as "cup, cups, cupped, cupping," etc. Every eight days the lists change to new roots.

I know it isn't activity based like you asked for, but I thought I'd mention it anyway. We like the logical approach.

...Something with activities and/or manipulatives but that does not involve lots of little paper squares and bringing out a big whiteboard for every lesson ... Lots of ideas for how to teach but that does not require following a script.

Spell To Write And Read (SWR) does not have any activities or manipulatives, but every word list comes with suggestions for extending the learning by working on parts of speech, prefixes and suffixes.

How To Teach Spelling is just spelling and dictation. No activities or manipulatives that I recall.

One suggestion: you can enter your list of words into Spelling City and use their free online activities.

I personally don't do any activities or use manipulatives because it is too much work for me and too distracting for my dd. To make the lesson interesting, either we do it on the whiteboard or I let her use a fancy pen.

I'm not sure what level you're looking for, but I highly recommend Alphabet Island for 1st and 2nd grade (or to remediate). You'd begin in level 2A. You'd start the first day by reading the story that describes each letter as a character. The vowel sounds are reviewed, but then lessons begin (in story form) with when C says /s/ or /k/, which consonants are doubled at the ends of words, etc. I like the program because through story context it teaches a reason for the spelling rules that gives a hook for remembering it. The words you study during the week are examples of the rule and words to distinguish from the rule. You choose a sampling of words from the 50-100 practice words to test their knowledge. The test cycle isn't even necessarily weekly, just when sufficient practice has produced mastery of the rule.

As an example, when studying double consonants at the ends of words, practice words might include: bell, stack, splat, jazz, trick, slam, fix... The student must distinguish between words ending in letters who are "afraid of the CLiFFS(Z)" and need a buddy at the end of a word and words that end in consonants who can stand alone at the ends of words. If you haven't seen the pattern, C-L- I (vowels) - F - S and Z, need another consonant (or a special vowel learned in a later lesson) to stand with them at the ends of words (ck, ll, ff, ss, zz). In practice words and tests, students must distinguish between whether the special case applies to the word you call. They will confidently spell each of 6 dozen practice words (and you can choose whether your student should be tested over "bell," "dwell," or "enthrall" depending on their confidence and level. It is teacher intensive, but I found it to be well worth the effort for the early years.

The creative program ends with level 2B and the publisher offers a handbook of lists from which to continue their progress, using all the same rules they've learned, but increasing the level of words. I found the lack of structure too much for me and we moved on to another program, which I recommend after that.

A Reason for Spelling has a weekly word list, but I use it to bring flexibility and individuality. There is a pretest and I use it to mould their list for the week. (placement test available online) Each lesson includes a list of "Other Word Forms" and I pull words from there for the words they spell correctly on the pretest. The word "prepare" when spelled correctly on the pretest becomes "prepared" or "preparedness" for the week's study and test. I bought the program because it could be individualized and because it has a WIDE variety of activities to promote learning. My kids' favorites are spelling their words in chalk on the sidewalk, forming them from pipe cleaners, and using letter tiles. They also benefit from the "Hide and Seek" method of practice prescribed in the book as well as a game. Weekly activities are all different - word sorting, missing letters, sentence dictation, proofreading, crossword puzzles, choosing the correct form of the spelling word to complete a sentence, adding endings, rhyming words, etc. They are well prepared for their test at the end of the week.

I bought the program because it could be individualized and because it has a WIDE variety of activities to promote learning. My kids' favorites are spelling their words in chalk on the sidewalk, forming them from pipe cleaners, and using letter tiles.

I should mention that four unique options for creative activities are presented each week, but we choose only 1 and go back to some of our favorites. The in-book activities are engaging as practice too, though we omit some depending on our schedule. You don't have to go to the craft store for supplies to make the good ideas happen, there are plenty of simpler options to choose from if you don't have a stash of pipe cleaners or a sidewalk to scribble on.

Also, it bears mentioning that the "Reason" for the spelling lessons comes in form of a Christian-based narrative at the beginning of each week. The word lists are pulled from this reading. For time constraint reasons, we do not read the selections and the work is still plenty meaningful to my students because the activities are varied and engaging. Sometimes the practice content will mention a Bible verse or moral from the story. If you aren't Christian, these references may turn you off. I estimate that only one or two of a dozen activity options for the week will incorporate this specifically biblical content and could be avoided if you felt it necessary.

You can work through Spell To Write And Read, but give your child a placement test and start at a higher level. I did that. I didn't start my dd on List A. However, it does require you to first revise all the basic phonogram sounds, vowel sounds etc.

Or you could buy the manual for How To Teach Spelling. That is full of advanced words and I am sure you can start with any phonogram sound you like. Just go over the sound, the phonograms that make that sound, then dictate the words, phrases and sentences that use those phonograms.

If the place at a higher level, does it cause you to skip important spelling rules that your child may have figured out but not know as a "rule" - is that a big deal?

I am a huge fan of Phonetic Zoo.( the link is to my review and a thread on it) That being said, it is just a list of words. However there is a reason for that. There is a great lecture included in Phonetic Zoo that explains why a list of words is good.

I have also looked at, but not used The Natural Speller. It has lists of words, and then in the back all sorts of activities you can do with the lists. You pick the ones that work for you. One that stuck out with me was alphabetizing by first letter, then later to the 2nd letter etc...

If the place at a higher level, does it cause you to skip important spelling rules that your child may have figured out but not know as a "rule" - is that a big deal?

I meant "place at a higher level" w.r.t. SWR, not HTTS.

For SWR, you will need to review the vowel sounds, single-letter and multi-letter phonograms and other basic learning by completing some 'rule pages' (which help to review the initial rules). Then, you learn the further rules via spelling the advanced words. You also keep reviewing the initial rules over and over again as they apply to the advanced words you study (spiral learning/review). No rule is missed.

For HTTS, there are easy and advanced words, phrases and sentences for each rule in the TM. So you can choose which words, phrases and sentences to dictate based on your guage of where your child is at.

I have also looked at, but not used The Natural Speller. It has lists of words, and then in the back all sorts of activities you can do with the lists. You pick the ones that work for you. One that stuck out with me was alphabetizing by first letter, then later to the 2nd letter etc...

I am curious about The Natural Speller. Does it have words at simple, intermediate, advanced levels of difficulty?

I am curious about The Natural Speller. Does it have words at simple, intermediate, advanced levels of difficulty?

It looked like it. I only thumbed through a copy at our local homeschool store. It looked really cool. I was going to get that if Phonetic Zoo didn't work out. It is all spelling k-12 in lists, and then gives you ideas how to teach it, activities etc...