Menu

A Non-Controversial Re-Usable Bag Thread :) Really!!!!

SailorMom

This is all in fun (for the most part - the link is actually for sewing patterns)

Ok - so the dilema:

Paper - kills trees, uses too much fossil fuel to produce and ship, and I think some nasty chemicals are involved in paper processing (arsenic?)

Plastic - my poor sweet sea turtles will eat them and there is a floating island of plastic

Cheap, reusable fabric (maybe recycled weird plastic) bags: usually produced in China with horribly polluting manufacturing plants, sometimes with child labor, shipped across the ocean taking a ton of fossil fuel in containers that spill overboard.

What's a person to do!!!???

:cursing: :boxing_smiley: :patriot: :toetap05: :lol:

Well - as long as you try to find fabric made somewhere relatively locally, you can make your own bags :) I've used a few of these patterns. The "Quick Carrier" and the "Green" patterns I think are the fastest and work very well especially if you make liners. Mine are about 3 years old and still in great shape.

http://tipnut.com/35-reusable-grocery-bags-totes-free-patterns/

Of course, your sewing machine is still plastic and probably made in CHina, and the thread you're using is probably causing global warming or the next ice age or something.... (really ... joking...)

Thanks for the link! When I was cleaning my reusable bags yesterday I realized several of them are starting to come apart at the handle. (They have held up well though considering they are almost 2years old.) I suppose it is about time to cull through my stash and make some new bags.

Thank you!. My favorite bags thus far have been the big Aldi bags. Those of you who go to Aldi probably know which ones I'm talking about. But they do not hold up well to washing! I would love a similar style bag that's durable AND can be washed. I don't want to wash bags by hand.

Yeah - I don't even hand wash my clothes (I seriously don't buy or sew anything that would need that). These have held up great being run on normal in the wash and normal in the dryer for years - as long as semi-decent fabric is used. I've found buying sheets on clearance and using that has worked great. Clearance fabric shower curtains work great as well. I use our old sheets if they are in good enough shape - but usually they are too worn out.

I think it's funny that they show things like using t-shirts or pillow cases.... I always ponder.... I'm wearing my shirts and using my pillow cases... so - why???

:blink:

I love that site and bookmarked it a long time ago. My plan was to re-purpose old tablecloths and make bags with them. I never got around to it, but I did crochet a few bags.

I'm sure nylon is bad, but my cheap nylon Target bags that are Chico knock-offs hold up well to being washed. I toss them in the washer and hang them to dry. They dry quickly too.

I think it's funny that they show things like using t-shirts or pillow cases.... I always ponder.... I'm wearing my shirts and using my pillow cases... so - why???

I suppose you could get some at a thrift shop, or wait until they wear out (in which case would they really hold up well when being used as a bag?).

Outgrown T-shirts that have sentimental value

Pillow cases might be cheaper to buy than fabric.

I missed the controversy and feel totally out of the loop. I love the link, though! Thanks! I have a couple of bags that I crocheted but I was just thinking last night that I might be better off with a different pattern. We are moving in a week to an area with no trash service so while I haven't been consistent in environmentally friendly habits, that is going to be changing. No longer will my trash be conveniently carted off out of my sight every week and for someone else to deal with.

Of course, your sewing machine is still plastic and probably made in CHina, and the thread you're using is probably causing global warming or the next ice age or something.... (really ... joking...)

I get bonus points because my sewing machine is from the 1970s, mostly metal, and probably made in Europe (an old Viking -- the dark orange kind, if you're into old sewing machines). :001_cool:

And I have oodles of old fabric -- we have sources for 2nd and 3rd hand fabric.

But I refuse to use crappy, old thread. Only the good stuff for me, global warming or not! :tongue_smilie:

I would love to make them out of old shirts - but by the time they get to that point, they are way too wimpy. I don't want to take the time to sew bags out of them and then have them disintegrate...Maybe we wear our shirts wayyyyy past their expiration date :)

A 4H group in our area did the recyled t-shirt bags as a service project for the local food pantry. It was a fantastic success. People brought in old tshirts that they didn't need anymore. They simply cut out the neck and sleeves, then sewed the bottom shut. It saved the pantry money, helped the environment by not creating any more waste as well as took something out of the waste stream.

I need to check my machine, but I'm afraid you're right as to where it was manufactured. sadly, I was too uninformed at the time of purchase. It's 15-20 years old and a Husqvarna. I agree with a PP about only using quality thread. It's the only way I can keep my sanity.

Thanks for the link! I have quite a lot of reusable bags which I've gotten for free - either as gifts or from Publix as part of charitable donation campaigns - but they feel cheap and start to tear too soon, IMO. I think some of these designs will be very simple and quick to complete. They'll be so much easier to wash, too, which is another plus.

I need to check my machine, but I'm afraid you're right as to where it was manufactured. sadly, I was too uninformed at the time of purchase.

I'm worse. I was informed and still bought a plastic Brother from Wall-Mart....

I'm worse. I was informed and still bought a plastic Brother from Wall-Mart....

Nah, you're not worse. You made a choice that worked for you. No shame in that. :)

It was bugging me, so I checked. I must've gotten in under the wire. The machine reads Made in Sweden. It was purchased with gift money. No way would we be able to swing that price tag.

I have made quite a few upcycled bags, which were quite successful. Men's pants make great sturdy bags, and some of the fabrics are lovely. Much nicer than you'd get at the fabric store. I like to line them with men's dress shirts, which are often made from a nice tightly woven cotton. I leave the pocket on - it's usually really handy to have. Dress shirts also make great summer cross-body bags. Men's swim shorts and board shorts make wonderful lightweight bags; either big hobo bags or smaller cross-body types. Again, the fabric is much nicer than you'd get in the fabric store. Friends and family know of my bag obsession and give me first pick at their hand-me-downs, plus we have really great thrift shops.

My sewing machines (the regular ones anyway) are all second-hand, so I'm off the hook there. I have vintage thread but it's not worth my labor to use it except in a pinch. I like to re-use zippers but I do still buy some.

I usually don't use patterns. Once you've got the basics down, bags are really easy. I like to make them custom-designed for whatever purpose they're made for. Having the right bag can make a special trip or vacation (or even everyday life) hassle-free.

Great site! I *have* repaired some of my store-bought grocery bags, but they don't last forever. I love some of these ideas, though!

Hmmm, I have some old towels that are sturdy but not very useful; I wonder if I could make some bags from those. (I made changing pad covers from some; they're nice and absorbent and might work well for meat.)

If you use t-shirts, do they stretch oddly?