Menu

Who are your favorite audiobook narrators/readers?

Christopher Timothy does a wonderful job with the James Herriot books.

Patricia Routlege for Beatrix potter

Barbara CAruso has grown on me.

I don't know the woman's name but she reads the Clovis Crawfish books. Wonderful southern accent!

Oh and whoever reads John Grisham. He's good too.

I don't get to listen to a lot if audiobooks unfortunately.

Not a Brit at all, but we loved Johnny Heller doing the Einstein Anderson books. He has a quirky voice but we liked it. He's done a lot of other kids books too.

On librivox, I like Kayray (Kara Shallenberg). She has a website that you can google.

We loved Edward Herrmann doing the first (nine?) of Geronimo Stilton. Wish he still did them. Just a great voice. (I still think of him as FDR.)

We are enjoying Stephen Fry doing the Paddington books right now.

I just finished 32 hours with Simon Vance today (David Copperfield) and I could have listened to him forever. Even the usually annoying "man does girl" voices. I'm glad to see that I have several more of his in my library waiting though I think I'll need something in between to erase some of the characters from my memory.

Adding Tim Curry to the list. I really enjoyed his reading of a series of unfortunate events. I also love David Tennant reading anything. Anything at all.

Tim Curry is also great in A Christmas Carol.

Also second (third? fourth? fifth?) Stephen Fry. Love the Harry Potter books he did.

Oooh, and Rob Inglis - he does a great LOTR and Hobbit. Songs and all.

I really love George Guidall. Christmas Carol read by Patrick Stewart is pretty darn amazing too.

Adding Tim Curry to the list. I really enjoyed his reading of a series of unfortunate events. I also love David Tennant reading anything. Anything at all.

Jim Dale

Neil Gaiman

Stephen Fry

Please please PLEASE share what books you've been listenening too that are read by these gents. Please! :)

We heard Paddington by Stephen Fry, totally forgot about him, but he did an excellent job. We have Jim Dale's recordings of the first 3 Harry Potter books. I want to get Peter Pan and Around the World in 80 Days read by Jim Dale, since the samples I've heard are very good.

The Graveyard Book might be a good choice for Neil Gaiman. I read it aloud to DD around Halloween last year, but I struggled a bit with the accent.

I have copies of Tim Curry reading the first book of A Series of Unfortunate Events and A Christmas Carol, but haven't listened to much of them.

Anybody except the narrator who did the first Fablehaven book (E.B. Stevens, maybe?). We recently listened to that, and he pretty much ruined it for me. I almost gave it up to swap it out for the current read-aloud I was doing for the kids.

As long as I'm complaining, I'll also say I hate it when book series change narrators mid-series. Inkheart and Artemis Fowl did that, and it changed the characters; I'd gotten used to them sounding a certain way, names pronounced a certain way. Jarring to have it change mid-stream.

Love the British accents of the narrators of the Harry Potter and the Charlie Bone series.

Erica in OR

iirc, Rob Inglis' versions of The Hobbit and LOTR are on youtube. His son had also made The Hobbit available for free download on his website. (Sorry, just re-checked and it is Nichol Williamson, not Rob Inglis.)

I think I would like them better -- any way to get them other than Amazon UK?

Actually, you can't even get them on Amazon UK. JK Rowling has exclusive rights, and the HP audiobooks are now sold exclusively through her Pottermore website. There are "geographical" restrictions on which version (US vs. UK) you can purchase through the site.

That said, *ahem*, if you are in the US and want to buy the UK version *as a gift* for yourself (or your husband, or your kid) at an alternate email address, the UK download may just work :)

Jim Dale is probably my most favorite, but I recently discovered Anton Lesser on a CD of children's poetry and really enjoyed him. He has tons on Audible, so he seems fairly prolific. Jim Weiss was an acquired taste for me too, although I like him now, my dh still doesn't.

Actually, you can't even get them on Amazon UK. JK Rowling has exclusive rights, and the HP audiobooks are now sold exclusively through her Pottermore website. There are "geographical" restrictions on which version (US vs. UK) you can purchase through the site.

That said, *ahem*, if you are in the US and want to buy the UK version *as a gift* for yourself (or your husband, or your kid) at an alternate email address, the UK download may just work :)

Thanks. Can't get it to work now but I'm going to try later. I like Fry much better than Dale (heresy, I know).

On librivox, I like Kayray (Kara Shallenberg). She has a website that you can google.

I like her too and follow her on Twitter. IIRC, she also homeschools.

Speaking of Librivox, I also enjoy Mark Nelson's readings of the Jeeves and Wooster books there.