Menu

Fashion gurus (or anyone with an opinion!)...I need help.

Julie in CA

My ds is getting married in 7 weeks. I have no clue what to wear. The wedding colors are fushia and green, and it's an afternoon indoor wedding. The bride's dress is fairly formal, with a train, but the bridesmaids dresses are shorter, not floor length. The bride's mother mentioned that she has not found a dress yet because she's looking for a dress that's not super-expensive and hits her at or a little below the knee.

I really need to stop procrastinating on this. I know I'll be relieved when I have something to wear. I wear a size 1x/16-18W.

Here's the thing...because of my current personal situation, I'd like to look nice. Not showy, but also *not frumpy*.

Is this anything like what I should be looking for?

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Lace-Cap-Sleeve-Dress-with-Sequin-S356930

I don't, as a rule, wear anything sparkly. I also don't know if the style is right, or if that color is ok. The bride is saying to wear whatever I would be comfortable in. If this one isn't right, give me some suggestions, ok? A very, very kind older lady from church who knows about my marital situation sent me a card with $200 in it. The note read:

"Dear Julie,

A beautiful lady should have a beautiful dress and accessories for her son's wedding. Buy something that makes you feel as pretty as you really are, inside & out."

It feels funny to accept that kind of a gift, but when I attempted to tell her that she didn't need to do that, that it was too much, she held my face in her hands and told me that it was certainly the right thing, and that it would make her happy to see me beautiful and confident on that day. To dance, and to smile, and accept the joy of the day. :001_unsure: Not sure what I did to deserve that sweet of a gesture, but I do feel blessed and cared for during a time when that feeling isn't coming very often. Just help me find the right dress, ok?

I think the dress you've linked would be just fine. Afternoon weddings are considered less formal than evening weddings, so you don't have to be super-formal. I attended a wedding this past summer where the mother of the groom wore a very similar dress, and she looked lovely. Do you have some nice jewelry to go with it?

What a wonderful gift and gesture from your friend. She's right - buy something that makes you feel beautiful!

I think the dress is fabulous! The color will look great with the fushia and green. I'd add some kitten heels, a pretty little pair of earrings and a delicate necklace. How are you going to do your makeup? I vote for a nice medium/light pink lipstick!

And right on to your friend!

Are you gals sure that sequins are ok? I've never owned anything with a sequin on it in my entire life.

Then it's about time you did. Yes, the sequins on this one are fine. They're subtle, and the dress is gorgeous. If you have enough in the budget, go get your hair and nails done for the event, too. You deserve to feel pampered.

Are you gals sure that sequins are ok? I've never owned anything with a sequin on it in my entire life.

Can you go try it on in person? It's described as taupe, so at least it's kind of muted (since you're unsure).

If you feel a little self conscious about the sequence, play down your makeup and accessories (pale pinks and nudes maybe). It looks like a perfect dress. You may find that that you like a little sparkle in your life/closet. :)

What a lovely gift! I like the dress you linked. My only hesitation would be to ensure the color looks flattering with your skin tone. If you are very tan, like the model, it would look great. But I could see it looking unflattering on someone with pale skin.

Be sure you feel 100% comfortable in whichever dress you choose! Confidence makes a so-so dress into an stunning one.

What time in the afternoon is the wedding? I am going to be a dissenter here with regard to the sequins. I LOVE that dress, but I would struggle with the sequins before 5:00 p.m. Maybe I am just too old-fashioned. Not sure exactly subtle they would be in real life, and it might depend on the lighting in the venue where they are being married. I do think it is important that you be able to try on any dress you are considering both for color and fit. Is there somewhere nearby where you could do some shopping "in person"?

Mother of the groom can wear sequins to an afternoon wedding. She is not just another guest and should be wearing something a bit dressier then the other guests.

I would see if you can try the dress on because taupe can be a tricky color.

Julie, first of all, God bless that fabulous friend of yours for her kindness.

The dress is very pretty. Do try it on for fit and color, of course.

I'm the same size as you, so I browsed David's Bridal for what I'd want to try on just looking at the pictures. In addition to the dress you linked, I like this one.

I agree with everyone who said you should try the dress on before making a decision. The color may be very lovely, but it may also make you look washed out, and you won't know that until you try it.

Have you considered looking at the formal wear in upscale consignment shops? Even if you don't buy anything, there is usually no sales pressure (like you might get at a bridal shop,) so you can try different styles without feeling obligated to buy anything right away.

I think it's so sweet that the lady gave you money for a dress! :)

My ds is getting married in 7 weeks. I have no clue what to wear. The wedding colors are fushia and green, and it's an afternoon indoor wedding. The bride's dress is fairly formal, with a train, but the bridesmaids dresses are shorter, not floor length. The bride's mother mentioned that she has not found a dress yet because she's looking for a dress that's not super-expensive and hits her at or a little below the knee.

I really need to stop procrastinating on this. I know I'll be relieved when I have something to wear. I wear a size 1x/16-18W.

Here's the thing...because of my current personal situation, I'd like to look nice. Not showy, but also *not frumpy*.

Is this anything like what I should be looking for?

http://www.davidsbri...-Sequin-S356930

I don't, as a rule, wear anything sparkly. I also don't know if the style is right, or if that color is ok. The bride is saying to wear whatever I would be comfortable in. If this one isn't right, give me some suggestions, ok? A very, very kind older lady from church who knows about my marital situation sent me a card with $200 in it. The note read:

"Dear Julie,

A beautiful lady should have a beautiful dress and accessories for her son's wedding. Buy something that makes you feel as pretty as you really are, inside & out."

It feels funny to accept that kind of a gift, but when I attempted to tell her that she didn't need to do that, that it was too much, she held my face in her hands and told me that it was certainly the right thing, and that it would make her happy to see me beautiful and confident on that day. To dance, and to smile, and accept the joy of the day. :001_unsure: Not sure what I did to deserve that sweet of a gesture, but I do feel blessed and cared for during a time when that feeling isn't coming very often. Just help me find the right dress, ok?

Congratulations on your impending mil-hoodness. :-)

Kudos to the bride for not telling you what to wear. She'll be a great dil. :-)

And how terribly kind of that nice woman to give you the money!!!!!

The colors of the bridesmaids' dresses are irrelevant (other than it's probably best if you don't clash outrageously for the sake of wedding pictures, lol). Ditto the length, as you would not wear a long dress to a daytime wedding, even if the bridesmaids were.

The dress in the picture is lovely and I'm sure you'll be the most beautiful mother-of-the-groom ever. ITA that you would want to add some nice jewelry. And hose. Please wear hose. :lol:

Yes, try it on!

My mother and I have similar coloring, but her hair is a bit darker than mine. She looks good in most shades like that. I, however, get washed out by anything in that color range, they make me look super pale and semi-sickly. It is a nice neutral color, I love it on other people and wish I could wear it.