Menu

How far in advance is it reasonable to hoard books? :)

DS is still young and it will be a few years before we'll probably start formal anything in terms of school. At the moment, we're just reading a ton.

At the same time, I'm always seeing great deals on books that I think are fantastic and would interest him when he's older (but are, for the moment, way beyond his reading/comprehension level). I have ordered some, but I feel like if I keep going I'm going to fill our whole apartment with books before he's even ready for them!

Do you take advantage of sales you see now on books your DC may not use for another 2-3+ years? What's reasonable?

I may just start a giant book list of things I see and like and could buy later, but then in the back of my mind I'm always thinking "but what if I don't see it for this great price again?" I'm not talking about curriculum, btw, just straight books/reference books.

Thanks!

Buy as far ahead as you want: Fiction and non fiction picture books; classic children's literature; reference materials for you

Don't bother: Any curriculum for more than one grade level over your kids' current grade level (you simply don't know if you'll change your mind about what you want to do or if your child will be ahead or behind); workbooks of any kind (they get updated all the time--you want to most current); duplicates (two different science texts because you can't decide, etc.)

I'll buy living books several years ahead...I figure these can be used no matter what program we are using.

I don't purchase actual curriculum very far ahead. What works for us now might not work in a few years. I would make an exception for an amazing deal (like $1 at a garage sale).

I have hoarded curriculum and some classical literature for all elementary levels for my DS who is 5 (started hoarding classics from birth, curriculum and workbooks at 4). We use them all, informally to keep learning fun and introducing concepts that will keep DS thinking.

I use all the curriculum to read ahead and make advance lesson plans on how to teach my DS. For example, his reading skills and math is 2 years ahead of his age, so I am reading the curriculum that is 2 years further out right now. And I have things like dictionaries, thesauri etc that are upto middle school level. I have the whole collection of Magic Tree House books, Winnie the Pooh, LOTR, Harry Potter etc (some 45 books) and he is progressing through my MTH collection right now. I have the whole LOF series and BA series and we are on book 2 of LOF now. When I see what I like, I just buy the whole series.

I think that it is OK to hoard 3-4 years worth of stuff if you are going to go through them in preparation for schooling your child.

Well, I'm hoarding a box or two of various resources for high school that I saved from some of my college classes... many of which took place before my first was even born. So...

I agree that I wouldn't buy any curriculum very far in advance but literature and reference materials? Yeah, I'd hoard boxes and boxes of them without second thought.

I usually buy literature far ahead when I see they really cheap like $.50 or cheaper. Some of them are sold by the libraries as not a lot of people are reading them. I don't buy main books like math text or Lang arts text but I buy mostly supplements etc.far in advance. I already have books that my dd will not read for another 5 yrs.

I am one who buys books and curriculum sometimes years ahead. In this economy I have no idea if we'll have enough money for it next year; will my husband have the same job, etc? The curriculum I'll buy ahead is stuff that isn't going to change much such as history. With our vehicle situation libraries aren't much of an option. So I browse thrift stores, used book stores, ebay, betterworldbooks, etc., homeschool boards and buy as cheaply as I can. I won't buy more then 2-3 years ahead though. I have next year figured out and have a big chunk of the year after worked out.

I'm a crazy book hoarder, but to keep from overwhelming the house, I've been trying to only buy and hold onto used books that are out of print. If it's still in print or if I know the library will still have multiple copies, I can leave it behind at the used bookstore.

When it comes to books, I buy if the deal is good even if it will not be used for years to come. I have boxes of fiction books waiting to be open and placed on the shelves when dd reaches a certain age. Non fiction books go on the shelves right away though. I learned long ago to buy when you find a good deal because when you are ready to read it you might not be able to find/afford it.