Menu

American History using real books ...

Luanne

When you say "real books" what do you mean?

Historical fiction can be a fun approach, but it is, well, fiction, and in that sense not "real" and frankly often distorted to make a good story--sometimes even becomes the basis for distorting what is later taken to be fact, such as flat earth beliefs which seem to have come out of Washington Irving's fictional version of Columbus, not anything from the 15th century reality. How about looking at primary sources such as Columbus's diary, works by Bartolome de las Casas, and so on. Or at something that is a work of historical research such as Charles Mann's 1491, which is available in both adult and child versions. And similar for other periods of history.

Our best yr of middle school American history was the yr my ds read through a combo of Landmark and American Heritage Jr Library series (mostly AMJL with a few topics that I didn't own in that series that I did own in Landmark) (since you already asked about Landmark, here is a link about AHJL http://www.librarything.com/series/American%20Heritage%20Junior%20Library )

I would suggest using something like The Complete Book of US History along with real books. I think it makes a very good spine for American history and will help keep some of the fiction separated from the facts.

My dd11 was doing an online US History class for history this year. She absolutely hated it! She complained every single day. I finally just gave up and handed her the "Compete Book of US History" and told her to read it. I also take a peek and give her other books to read on the topic the book is covering, as well as use lots of history dvd's. The other day she thanked me and told me how much more interesting history was now! She was literally not retaining anything from the boring class she was attending. She hated history. There really is no need in that with all of the great books out there.

ETA....I am also waiting on some of the Drama of American History books I bought used on Amazon.

We are doing American history using real books. I started out compiling lists of books from various sources, comparing to a timeline of events, etc. Soooo time-consuming! But most of the history programs I found were far too structured for us. I finally bought the Truthquest history guides, and they have been wonderful for us. The books lists are in chronological order and categorized by topic with recommended grade levels. We also enjoy the commentary, but I know many homeschoolers love TQ just for the book lists. We've added in some notebooking and lapbooking elements as well, which is just a DIY thing. I may spring for one of the Truthquest binder-builder to see what that's like. I suspect it will save even more time and energy.

• 6 months later...

My dd11 was doing an online US History class for history this year. She absolutely hated it! She complained every single day. I finally just gave up and handed her the "Compete Book of US History" and told her to read it. I also take a peek and give her other books to read on the topic the book is covering, as well as use lots of history dvd's. The other day she thanked me and told me how much more interesting history was now! She was literally not retaining anything from the boring class she was attending. She hated history. There really is no need in that with all of the great books out there.

ETA....I am also waiting on some of the Drama of American History books I bought used on Amazon.

Hope people are still chiming in here.  From this description, it sounds like your daughter just read the book and watched some DVDs - did she do any writing or projects of any sort too?  I'd love to do something like this with my 8th grader, but I'm not sure how structured it needs to be (if our state has no h/s curriculum requirements). 

I have a fifth grader and we do World History every year from now on, but if I were going to do American History with him I would use:

- Landmark books (cheap on Rainbow Resource Center)

- Cornerstones of Freedom (I snagged 10 titles from library free pile)

- Collier brothers' history. We own Civil War and I really like it.

Flesh out with historical fiction, require written narrations, a timeline, at least three field trips a year, and voilà. History is served.