Menu

orgainic foods...I am so depressed...

ProudGrandma

The food is still organic though, right? The brand is just owned by a large conglomerate. That's not untypical. It's very difficult for a small company to get the kind of distribution that large companies do. Especially in the food industry. It's also too expensive for them to survive in today's competitive market. Smaller companies are priced right out of it.

I guess, I always knew it...but really didn't...until I saw it in print, in a Feingold publication..that some of the organic brands that I love to use are actually owned by non-organic food giants...how truly sad....you can't trust anybody anymore, can you???

It's been that way for years. Organic food has a higher profit margin than conventional because consumers are willing to pay a premium. And it's not just true of processed foods. As for trust, well, it depends why you're buying organic. Do I trust that the food meets certification standards? For the most part. Good stewardship and ethical standards above and beyond? Not so much.

Why does that make them untrustworthy?

Because the conglomerates are in it for the money they can get from an organic label, they are utterly uncommitted to the actual idea and spirit of organic, and many are actively lobbying congress to undermine the organic labeling system so they can use cheaper, non-organic methods (like using humanure or just feeding the cows organic feed but not letting them out of the barn, or arguing GMOs could be counted as organic) on their products but still get the organic label and a huge upcharge.

The Organic Consumers Association has been talking about this for years.

I think you can't truly know if something is organic unless you grow it yourself, or you can go visit the farm and see how it is grown. That's why I'm a huge fan of the CSA idea. I love that we can go visit the co-op farms that grow our food.

:iagree: Our CSA has events going on every few weeks so people can come out and see the farm, and community education is a big focus for them (it's good for business too).

I was surprised, in reading The Omnivore's Dilemma, how similar industrial conventional farming and industrial organic farming are. The organic one uses fewer chemicals, so that's good, but other problems with huge farms, like growing only one thing in an area until it depletes the soil, or using machinery that causes lots of waste, are just as prevalent on the organic farms. So the big-name organics aren't really much better than the conventional produce. That was depressing.

I read the referenced website rather often. Their charts triggered my additional reading a few years ago, resulting in my ongoing refusal to use Silk products, Horizon dairy, and some other prevalent brands.

I'd buy Sunshine (a local, conventional dairy with milk products from rBST-free cows, environmentally conscious, and active in the local community) before I'd buy anything Horizon. Ugh.

It is a constant struggle, isn't it? I often research new brands I see and I am also subscribed to a few blogs where people are tenaciously keeping track of things I would likely miss.

The Healthy Home Economist is one site that sometimes has warnings. The author has definite opinions on things and some may not be the way you see it but it is still information.

The Nourishing Gourmet has lots of recipes and some tips.

The Weston Price Foundation is also helpful.

I do not remember all the individual URL's but you can google them and they should come up immediately.

Generally, buying more locally is better but for those things that cannot be obtained locally, do some reseach, find a good company and be prepared to pay a little more as you order online. This has been my experience.

I read the referenced website rather often. Their charts triggered my additional reading a few years ago, resulting in my ongoing refusal to use Silk products, Horizon dairy, and some other prevalent brands.

Amy's, Annie's, Lundberg, Snowpack, Muir Glenn and a couple I can't recall this minute are still on their own. ETA: Eden is another. Cliff Bars, too. Muir Glenn is owned by General Mills. In the end, If it is any consolation, GM is one of the better companies, for human rights, safety etc.

The soy milk industry: a dumping ground for GMOs, and a reason for even more monoculture. The popularity of Almond milks etc is also giving me pause. There is one gram of protein in 1/2 a cup, but about 12 grams of sugar, even in the plain flavor. What's that about?

As others have said- seek out local small farmers as much as you can. Pay the extra for the pastured eggs down the street etc. And really do your research. A lb of kale is $, but that's a lot of kale! A gorgeous $3 large head of local organic lettuce will/might last two meals. Nutritionally, you are coming out far ahead.

Amy's, Annie's, Lundberg, Snowpack, Muir Glenn and a couple I can't recall this minute are still on their own.

The soy milk industry; a dumping ground for GMOs, and a reason for even more monoculture. The popularity of Almond milks etc is also giving me pause. There is one gram of protein in 1/2 a cup, but about 12 grams of sugar, even in the plain flavor. What's that about?

The almond milk in my fridge has less then one gram of carbs in a cup. I just checked.

This is not a "war cry". Please.

Before trusting the Weston Price Foundation, make sure that you agree with their beliefs.

That's all.

This is not a "call to battle". Please.

It is a constant struggle, isn't it? I often research new brands I see and I am also subscribed to a few blogs where people are tenaciously keeping track of things I would likely miss.

The Healthy Home Economist is one site that sometimes has warnings. The author has definite opinions on things and some may not be the way you see it but it is still information.

The Nourishing Gourmet has lots of recipes and some tips.

The Weston Price Foundation is also helpful.

I do not remember all the individual URL's but you can google them and they should come up immediately.

Generally, buying more locally is better but for those things that cannot be obtained locally, do some reseach, find a good company and be prepared to pay a little more as you order online. This has been my experience.

The food is still organic though, right? The brand is just owned by a large conglomerate. That's not untypical. It's very difficult for a small company to get the kind of distribution that large companies do. Especially in the food industry. It's also too expensive for them to survive in today's competitive market. Smaller companies are priced right out of it.

:iagree: These companies are just giving people options. I don't see a problem with it at all.

This is not a "war cry". Please.

Before trusting the Weston Price Foundation, make sure that you agree with their beliefs.

That's all.

This is not a "call to battle". Please.

No, the sun will still rise if you don't buy organic.

But for those who are interested in putting their money behind small farms and locally produced items, it may be helpful to have a couple of resources handy. Some of us do it for health reasons, other because it is in line with their personal beliefs about how food should be produced. And for some, it is a combination of both.

Not a war cry but a personal belief and the desire to put your resources in support of your convictions.

:iagree: These companies are just giving people options. I don't see a problem with it at all.

I agree. There are still organic standards in place. For now. But the buffer zones are tricky, and we have to hope that the people running companies such as Earthbound, just fi, are trying to maintain the standards, and understand their shareholders need the company to continue; that consumers will pay for organic food...and will make efforts to care for their soil.

It's sometimes all we have.

No, the sun will still rise if you don't buy organic.

But for those who are interested in putting their money behind small farms and locally produced items, it may be helpful to have a couple of resources handy. Some of us do it for health reasons, other because it is in line with their personal beliefs about how food should be produced. And for some, it is a combination of both.

Not a war cry but a personal belief and the desire to put your resources in support of your convictions.

Confused.

I was not discussing organics vs. non-organics. (I buy organic whenever financially possible.) I was referencing the claims of one particular, controversial organization. It's similar to when people reference the controversial Dr. Mercola. He is a good resource, but only if one happens to agree with his personal claims.

Major independent organic companies

• Alvarado Street Bakery
  • Amy's Kitchen
  • Clif Bar/Luna
  • Eden Foods
  • Golden Temple/Yogi Tea/Peace Cereal
  • Nature's Path/Lifestream
  • Organic Valley/Organic Prairie
  • Pacific Natural Foods
  • Nancy's Springfield Creamery
  • Seventh Generation

The author, Phil Howard, PhD., created a visual chart tracking buyouts in the organic industry. You can see it at www.msu.edu/~howardp.

Major independent organic companies

• Alvarado Street Bakery
  • Amy's Kitchen
  • Clif Bar/Luna
  • Eden Foods
  • Golden Temple/Yogi Tea/Peace Cereal
  • Nature's Path/Lifestream
  • Organic Valley/Organic Prairie
  • Pacific Natural Foods
  • Nancy's Springfield Creamery
  • Seventh Generation

The author, Phil Howard, PhD., created a visual chart tracking buyouts in the organic industry. You can see it at www.msu.edu/~howardp.

Not strictly organic, but I'd add Bob's Red Mill to your list. It's employee owned.

Not strictly organic, but I'd add Bob's Red Mill to your list. It's employee owned.

Yes.

Interestingly, Peace Cereal is mostly not organic. Boggles my mind. Also, only a small percent of Red Mill products are organic.

It's crazy out there.

Although I do take comfort in knowing these folks are taking responsibility for their own products. I hope that goes along with trying to find the better sources.

I'm not impressed with how many variations of "organic" "certified organic" "containing organic ingredients" and whatnot as well as making foods outrageously expensive when they become trendy (Quinoa anyone?) and pricing the country of origin out of the market. I have a hard time justifying spending more for these types of foods for this reason.

Slightly OT, this reminds me of this.

Confused.

I was not discussing organics vs. non-organics. (I buy organic whenever financially possible.) I was referencing the claims of one particular, controversial organization. It's similar to when people reference the controversial Dr. Mercola. He is a good resource, but only if one happens to agree with his personal claims.

Now I am confused. Are you saying the Weston Price Foundation is sounding a battle cry?

All the links I mentioned lead to sites with definite opinions - I even mentioned that.

I know that vegetarians and vegans don't subscribe to the overall philosophy of WPF but it can still be a good resource imho to the person who is researching and educating him/herself and also getting to know one's body better and discovering what works for each individual.