Menu

Not liking this game- would you eat this?

plain jane

Dh bought a big pack of pork chops from Costco on Feb. 21. He opened up the pack and cooked up half on Saturday (23) and put the rest back in the fridge (still in the same pack, with a plastic bag around it) thinking he would have time to freeze the rest after our meal. That never happened.

So, now I don't know if we can still freeze those pork chops and if they would be safe to eat. Keep in mind I have very young kids and I do worry about food poisoning. I'd say the value of what is left is only about $8.00 so if it's questionable, I'd rather just throw it, but I don't want to waste food either, kwim?

What says the Hive?

Haven't they been refrigerated all this time? I maybe wouldn't freeze them (okay I totally would), but I for sure would happily cook them for dinner. It's not like they've been sitting out at room temperature growing bacteria. They've been in the refrigerator, unless I'm misunderstanding. How is that different from sitting in the refrigerated meat section at the store? It's fine.

I say, that if you have to ask the question, the answer is always toss.

Sure, if you don't mind wasting money or basing your decision more on emotions and feelings about what's safe than on facts.

ETA: That seems like an overly cautious, illogical "rule" to go by. You can easily look up safe food handling and storage guidelines. Not having all the food safety recommendations for different foods memorized and having a question about a particular item doesn't make that food unsafe.

[quote name=perkybunch'

timestamp='1361805257' post='4715265]

Haven't they been refrigerated all this time? I maybe wouldn't freeze them (okay I totally would), but I for sure would happily cook them for dinner. It's not like they've been sitting out at room temperature growing bacteria. They've been in the refrigerator, unless I'm misunderstanding. How is that different from sitting in the refrigerated meat section at the store? It's fine.

It's a bit different from being in the meat section since it has been 4 days now and the pack had been unsealed/opened (but in a plastic bag) for almost 48 hours.

Internet search shows pork is good for 3-5 days in the fridge but dh had opened it. I'm concerned because I have very young children. :)

I wouldn't even hesitate to use them . . . they've been refrigerated the whole time. There were opened four days ago. If the package had been unopened but in the fridge would you still eat it. Opening the package from the store doesn't cause immediate spoilage, does it?

Internet search shows pork is good for 3-5 days in the fridge but dh had opened it. I'm concerned because I have very young children. :)

You're clearly uncomfortable eating it still, so in that case, you might as well throw it out. But honestly, it's fine - coming from someone with very young children as well.

But it being fine doesn't really matter if you don't feel comfortable eating it or serving it to your family because in that case, it's best just to toss and be done with it.

Sure, if you don't mind wasting money or basing your decision more on emotions and feelings about what's safe than on facts.

It's more the fact that if I throw something in the freezer that I'm a trifle worried about I am sure to never eat it. I'll say to myself-Hm, that's the stuff I put in the freezer that I was worried about.Think I'll throw that out.

If it's going to end up in the trash sooner or later, I'd just rather do penance for it now instead of then. I just don't like wasting time and money. And freezer space. I've got my bee-hive frames in there.

It's more the fact that if I throw something in the freezer that I'm a trifle worried about I am sure to never eat it. I'll say to myself-Hm, that's the stuff I put in the freezer that I was worried about.Think I'll throw that out.

If it's going to end up in the trash sooner or later, I'd just rather do penance for it now instead of then. I just don't like wasting time and money. And freezer space. I've got my bee-hive frames in there.

Bake them today and then freeze. I am certain they are fine.

It's a bit different from being in the meat section since it has been 4 days now and the pack had been unsealed/opened (but in a plastic bag) for almost 48 hours.

Your refrigerator is colder than the meat section at the store. He opened them Saturday- Today is only Monday ,so day 3- they've only been open 48 hours or less.

When I have a question about feeding little ones something I feel weird about, I either toss it or just feed it to the grown ups. There is nothing worse than watching your little ones be sick and knowing you did it to them.

In this case, I would cook them vs. refreezing them.