Menu

Trader Joe's & Whole Foods

ChrisB

WF cranberry pecan salad or cranberry pecan rice from the deli. WF brand protein powder. WF vegan choc chip scones. They have these hearty rolls there too but can't recall the name. multigrain, dark brown, size of a baseball. Annie's brownie bites.

Most of the WFM store brand foods are a good buy. Their store brand household cleaners aren't very good, imo. Stick with staples, to do your own cooking. It is extremely easy to go broke buying prepared foods, baked goods, and the numerous delicious, but fully nonessential things for sale there.

I never have been in a Trader Joe's, so cannot comment.

WF has dark chocolate covered almonds in their bulk bins. :drool5: The bulk spices are fantastic. I've always had great quality at a VERY cheap price. I'm not an olive girl, but I hear the olive bar is quite delicious. Oh, cheese. All the cheese. We can get a fabulous local sheep cheese at our WF. And you might as well get a slice of pizza while you're there. Personally, I like the white pizza with grilled chicken and roasted garlic. And of course, whatever fruits and veggies look yummy. Have fun!

We shop exclusively at those two stores.

I like TJs for some packaged goods. Pasta sauce, organic pasta, jams, sauces, nuts, and any frozen foods like chicken potstickers.

I like WF for all our produce, grass fed beef and free range chicken when I'm too lazy to get it from the farms, 365 brand of organic pastas, pasta sauce.... Corn tortillas, yogurt, eggs, frozen fish, feta cheese, parm cheese, sliced meats (without all the junk), sushi for a snack, sourdough bread, popcorn for the air popper...

Thank you!! You have given me some things to consider. I completely understand how we could go broke in these stores. :D I especially want to check out the deli meat selection because my son can't have nitrates in the traditional deli meats. Thanks for the "excuse" to sample all of the cheeses. And, some of their chocolate might just end up in our basket. lol

Trader Joes: My kids love their frozen polenta with spinach and carrots. DD loves their kimchi rice. DH prefers their Trader O's to Cheerios. They have 10 minute barley and farro which have become a pantry staple for times when I want to make a quick soup. The Tri-colored quinoa is good as is their Couscous blend. Pasta is inexpensive and their sauces delicious.

Things I buy at TJ's:

Canned coconut milk and coconut cream

Raw nuts

Dried fruit (but read the labels because a lot of it has sugar added)

Wine

Balsamic vinegar

Some produce, depending on prices

I've bought cold pressed coconut oil, but it's way cheaper at Costco.

I've bought some grains, but then found a cheaper source closer to home.

That's really about it. A lot of what they sell is just upscale processed, sugary junk food.

If you like almonds, Trader Joe's whole almonds (either raw or roasted/salted) are the best I have ever had, anywhere. I don't know why! The clerk told me that many people have told them that. Maybe they go through them so quickly that they are very fresh.

Thank you!! You have given me some things to consider. I completely understand how we could go broke in these stores. :D I especially want to check out the deli meat selection because my son can't have nitrates in the traditional deli meats. Thanks for the "excuse" to sample all of the cheeses. And, some of their chocolate might just end up in our basket. lol

No nitrates at WF!

We don't have a WF nearby, but I shop at TJs all the time. In the meat case, they have one pound packs of grass fed hamburger meat, organic chicken breasts that are prepackaged in single packs (you buy a pack of four) and we love the chicken Italian sausage.

I buy the organic strawberry smoothies in 4 packs, the frozen meatballs, and the frozen Belgian waffles are really good! Also, the frosted shredded wheat cereal- delish and no GMOs like supermarket brands.

No nitrates at WF!

No added nitrates. However, some of the "natural" ingredients added either contain or form them in the meats. Celery juice is an example.

That's really about it. A lot of what they sell is just upscale processed, sugary junk food.

Yummy upscale processed, sugary junk food :drool5:

The coconut cream is awesome.

And the bacon ends&pieces are good. All of their dairy is worthwhile. But their almond butter was a miss for me. And I once had a bad experience with their fresh chicken, but that was quite a few years ago, so ymmv.

This is why I've never understood the fascination some people have w/ these two stores. At our TJ, the checkout lines wrap the store on a Saturday. I just don't get it. Whole Foods is really busy too, w/6 checkout lanes open.

I like WF because even though I still watch what I buy, I don't have to read labels quite as closely there. I also like that if I want to buy "snack foods" I don't have to worry about hydrogenated oils. Even their sugary "junk" is better quality sugary junk.

Mainly I like finding things I can't find anywhere else; amazing nut butters, cleaner meats and lunch meats for dh, awesome breads (though that really doesn't do much for me now that I'm steering clear of gluten), huge selection of cheeses, cleanest dairy I can get (they carry a couple of local brands that don't homogenize as well as all the organic brands), a lot of good non-dairy selections and gluten-free items, and more.

I just visited my first Trader Joe's in VA Beach. I love it! We are getting one this year and I can't wait! There will definitely be regular purchases from there as well. Their virgin coconut oil is the best, most amazing smelling, creamy coconut oil I've ever used!

Between those two stores, and the local farmer's market, I'll be set!