Menu

Oh hey! Guess what's double parked by my van?

Guest inoubliable

On the one hand, my instinct would be to protect those children, get them out of that house, feed them, whatever I could do for them. But you're absolutely right that it could be very, very dangerous, and you do have to take care of your own first. Such a tough situation, KK. It sounds to me like you're doing everything you can. :grouphug:

:iagree:

Thinking on what you said - and I think you're right. The police - I don't know what their problem is, honestly. Like the time I had to call because the kid next door had ripped up all these plants DH and I had just put in the weekend before? The police came out and interviewed a woman staying with the kids who said she was an aunt. Then he came back over and said there was nothing he could do because the kid was a minor. :confused1: Another officer that I know for the county (we're within city limits, so we have a different entity to deal with for law enforcement) said that the city police were dead wrong. He read off all kinds of charges that the other officer could have charged the kid with. It's like the cops will have nothing to do with that situation over there.

I just called the Hotline and left a message and I called the police department to ask specifically for the On-Call Social Worker. I'll call the social services department itself if I don't hear anything by lunchtime. I wish more of my neighbors were willing to get involved.

Thanks for being there, being concerned for the kids, and being willing to take action.

I would call the church.

Our neighbors (we affectionately called them the Clampits) were like that. I always smiled and waved and was generally friendly. When the parents were gone the teens would tease me and try to bully my (then 4 and 2 year old) kids. One boy was supposedly an Eagle Scout. Yeah. That was working out real well for him... anyway, with people that dysfo, any attention is taken badly. Even nice, friendly, generous attention.

You could send them pizza if you're worried they aren't being fed & cared for and you really feel the pull to help directly. Pay cash at the shop, don't give a name.

The church- can you find out a last name for the kids at all? (Maybe uncle Google could help with that?) and then maybe they would hear you about helping them. But some churches with a bus pickup ministry like that are strapped as far as getting involved anyway. DHS (or whatever it's called where you live) should be the way to go, it's just incredibly slooooooow and skewed toward the adults' rights.

Yes.

And just to be clear, because I really don't want to come off as judgmental about this family next door. There are literally dozens of stories that I could tell you about that would illustrate why I'm actually afraid to make any personal attempt at helping. Maybe I'm afraid for no reason. Maybe it's a lot of big, loud talk over there. That's a possibility. I promise, though, that I'm not exaggerating when I say things like "her dealer" or "her pimp" or tell you about the violence and screaming and fist fights and all the emergency response teams over there constantly. I AM afraid of getting involved with a family when I see that sort of thing going down. I'm not just avoiding the mom because I think she shops and the Walmart and I won't shop anywhere but World Market, KWIM? There isn't one person in that house that I've ever witnessed behave in a "normal", sane, stable way.

ETA: Stupid cursor. I hit submit before I meant to. Anyway. If anyone has any ideas on how to anonymously help besides calling authorities, I'm all ears. I really would like to help. I'm just not sure how without having a spotlight thrown on me. Would contacting their church again help, maybe? What could I say/ask?

Stay anonymous. Do NOT give your name when calling CPS. Just keep calling. They will think the cops called at this point.

Stay anonymous. Do NOT give your name when calling CPS. Just keep calling. They will think the cops called at this point.

True anonymity no longer exists, unless KK has gone to great lengths to mask her phone line or cell number. Phone numbers can be requested for legal need. At any rate, I thought that calls made to a CPS system keep the caller's identity away from the people who were turned in. That is my experience (a local friend's experience, that is).

Goodness. When a neighborhood dog hater turned us in because our dog barked for two minutes, the police were barred from telling us who the busybody was.

Guest inoubliable

Quick update.

I think the mom is home next door now. Maybe. There has been some traffic over there. Just now a car pulled up and a woman got out. She had a clipboard. She didn't walk straight up to the door. She stood back in the street, reached into her coat, and pulled out a camera. It looks like she just took some pictures of the front of their house. She walked over to where they keep their trashcans on the curb and stood there for a while writing something down. And now she's disappeared around the house and I can't see her.

Does this sound like a social worker coming to check things out? I'm hoping it is.

Who are all the men in the house with those kids? Creepy. I would be raising nine kinds of heck-----call the media and tell them what is going on. That is beyond disturbing.

I completely agree... that part totally freaked me out. Who are all those men in the house alone with children??? Totally freaking out. What a tragedy!

I don't have an answer, but when you move in the future, camp out on the street and watch the neighbors at different times of the day. You have done your time!

My parents had a terrible neighbor like this when I was young. The dad would hang out at the bar, and the mom had died. Many young sons who would cry themselves to sleep, or roam the streets causing trouble. Big, loud parties.

It is very stressful to live near that!

Being completely honest, I would be terrified if they were my neighbors. Maybe you could bring over some cookies or something? I doubt there is anything you can really do to change their situation.

Did I see a thread about you buying a new home? I think you are doing all you can by calling the authorities.

Elise in NC