Menu

what are some fun chapter book series to read to k-3?

bttrflyvld

Roscoe Riley Rules, Cam Jansen, Flat Stanley, The Littles, These are all series and fairly easy.

Also my kindergarten really enjoyed...All About Sam (this was super funny and a really easy read!!!), Toys Go Out, Charlottes web, Charlie and the chocolate factory, Mrs Piggly Wiggly, Tales from Alotmenlane School, and Horrible Henry.

I read aloud the Magic Tree House books to my Kinder when he was 4. He loves them. He has also loved hearing the Beverly Cleary books read aloud---Ramona the Pest, Henry Huggins etc. Also I have read aloud "trilogy" style books by specific authors to him and he's loved them. Winnie The pooh, House at Pooh Corner, World of Christopher Robin by AA Milne--Charlotte's Web, Trumpet of the Swan, Stuart Little by EB White---the three Mouse and the Motorcycle books by Beverly Cleary.

The Junie B Jones books are funny when read aloud. He's also enjoyed Peter Pan, Wind in the Willows, Pinocchio, Wizard of Oz, James and the Giant Peach, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Abel's Island.

Collections of fairy tales and Aesop are good read alouds. As is a collection of Beatrix Potter.

Anna Hibiscus series

These are very nice.

Milly-Molly-Mandy isn't bad, either. Although I know some people find her annoying, I think she's sweet! ;)

Some of Dick King-Smith's animal books might be nice, and Jame Harriot's treasury of animal stories for children, while not what you asked for, could be read as one short story per reading session (or you could read each book individually, depending on how you find them).

There sure are a lot of Beatrix Potter stories, enough to pass the time with them.

In a totally messed up order, here are the books I read when my eldest was that age range.

Read in 2008

The Iron Man (The Iron Giant)

The Story of Doctor Dolittle

My Father’s Dragon

Elmer and the Dragon

The Dragons of Blueland

Read in 2009 (the ones at the top of the list I read once, the ones at the three times that year)

TMSB #6: The Giant Germ

TMSB #9: Dinosaur Detectives

TMSB #20: Rocky Road Trip

The Wind in the Willows

Old Granny Fox

The Adventures of Poor Mrs. Quack

The Adventures of Happy Jack

Mrs. Peter Rabbit

The Adventures of Bob White

Browser the Hound

Blacky the Crow

Whitefoot the woodmouse

Pippi Longstocking

TMSB #1: The Truth about Bats

TMSB #14: Electric Storm

TMSB #3: The Wild Whale Watch

TMSB #8: Penguin Puzzle

TMSB #16: Butterfly Battle

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

The Marvelous Land of Oz

The Adventures of Peter Cottontail

The Adventures of Jerry Muskrat

The Adventures of Sammy Jay

The Adventures of Danny Meadow Mouse

The Adventures of Buster Bear

The Adventures of Old Man Coyote

The Adventures of Paddy the Beaver

The Adventures of Reddy Fox

The Adventures of Unc' Billy Possum

The Adventures of Grandfather Frog

The Adventures of Old Mr. Toad

The Adventures of Prickly Porky

The Adventures of Chatterer, the Red Squirrel

TMSB #2: The Search for the Missing Bone

TMSB #5: Twister Trouble

TMSB #7: The Great Shark Escape

The Adventures of Johnny Chuck

The Adventures of Mr. Mocker

The Adventures of Ol' Mistah Buzzard

Lightfoot the deer

TMSB #17: Food Chain Frenzy

TMSB #19: The Fishy Field Trip

Peter Pan

The Adventures of Bobby Coon

Buster Bear's Twins

Little Joe Otter

The Adventures of Jimmy Skunk

TMSB #11: Insect Invaders

TMSB #4: Space Explorers

TMSB #12: Amazing Magnetism

Ozma of Oz

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

My kids enjoy the Ramona and Boxcar children books.

My 6 year old has read 14 of the Junie B. Jones books this week alone. He can't stop reading them, just one after another. My library card is wearing out. They'd make hilarious read-alouds and you can temper the bad grammar that way. Junie is in Kindergarten and says a few oddities like "bestest," "waked up" and "ValentiMes." Thankfully, my son points out the mistakes and chuckles. But, if you have a K'er who isn't ready to find and laugh at mistakes, you can reduce the number as you read aloud. I'm a little surprised that my son can relate so well, since he's never been in a regular school setting. He still relates to her Kindergarten adventures though.

We also enjoyed the Mary Pope Osborne retellings of The Odyssey, depending on what year of history you are studying at the moment.

My kids enjoy the Ramona and Boxcar children books.

My 6 year old has read 14 of the Junie B. Jones books this week alone. He can't stop reading them, just one after another. My library card is wearing out. They'd make hilarious read-alouds and you can temper the bad grammar that way. Junie is in Kindergarten and says a few oddities like "bestest," "waked up" and "ValentiMes." Thankfully, my son points out the mistakes and chuckles. But, if you have a K'er who isn't ready to find and laugh at mistakes, you can reduce the number as you read aloud. I'm a little surprised that my son can relate so well, since he's never been in a regular school setting. He still relates to her Kindergarten adventures though.

We also enjoyed the Mary Pope Osborne retellings of The Odyssey, depending on what year of history you are studying at the moment.

I tend to feel annoyed at the grammar. But if read aloud with much theatrics and emphasis, they can have a kid who would like them rolling in tears and laughter.

Some of our favorites are:

My Fathers Dragon trilogy.....his MOST favorite....now he listens to them on audio while playing with legos!

The Cricket in Times Square, Garth Williams

Harry Kitten and Tucker Moused, Garth Williams

Chester Cricket's Pigeon Ride, Garth Williams

Shiloh

The Enormous Egg, Oliver Butterworth

The Magic TreeHouse Series

Stuart Little

Swiss Family Robinson

James Herriot Treasury

Ralf S. Mouse

Ragweed, Avi

Poppy, Avi

Poppy and Rye, Avi

Asop Fables

Like others have said, The Boxcar Children series. All of my kids love them.

My Father's Dragon

Capyboppy

The Story of Dr. Dolittle

The House at Pooh Corner

The Hundred Dresses

In Grandma's Attic

Any of the Little House books

Mrs. Pigglewiggle

Understood Betsy

Right now - ds3.5 the boxcar children and magic treehouse, ds5.5 a to z mysteries, zac power and the famous five.

I would like more variety so I try and introduce new stuff when I can.

Eta. Ds5.5 can read the boxcar children without much trouble, the others are a bit of a stretch.

dd is 6. In the last year, we have enjoyed:

--Little House Series (especially the earlier books; the chapters seem shorter and more exciting for that age)

--Dragon Slayer's Academy by Kate McMullan

--American Girls (We've read the Rebecca series so far).

--Beatrice and Ramona Series

--Seriously Silly Stories (series) by Laurence Arnhold. EcoWolf and the Three Pigs was a favorite.

Not series, but good books

--Bettina Valentino and the Picasso Club by Niki Daly

--Diary of a Fairy Godmother by Esme Raji Codell and Rachael Lillis (listened to this one on tape in the car; even the adults laughed out loud!)

We plan to read, but have not yet:

--Narnia series

--Stories from Shakespeare (Usborne)

--Stories from Dickens (Usborne)

Does anyone know if "Nancy Drew and the Clue Crew" are worth reading?

Series books we've liked (just listing the first title):

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

The Children of Green Knowe

Nurse Matilda

The Borrowers

Five Little Peppers and How They Grew

Half-Magic

The Story of the Treasure Seekers

We haven't gotten to the Redwall series yet, but I have the first three books on the shelf. Mary Poppins also has a series of books, but the Mary in the book is nothing like the Mary in the movie!