Menu

Floor seating--options other than beanbag chairs?

ILiveInFlipFlops

The kids are finally old enough that we're having kids over regularly, and I need to rearrange our downstairs school/playroom to accommodate this. I think I figured out a solution in terms of how to squeeze a couch-type object down there, but I was thinking that I'd need another spot or two. It might work to have kids sitting on the floor in some way, but I'm wondering what's out there for that other than beanbag chairs. Anyone have any ideas? IS there anything besides beanbag chairs?

Thanks!

My friends and I always loved banana rocker chairs even as teens. DH's friends love them too--I still had one up until 2 years ago when DH's friend broke it (he's 6'5" and 300 lbs). They are way more fun and comfier than bean bag chairs because they have back support. I've seen them fairly inexpensively at Wal-mart and Target though there are fancier/pricier ones availability other places.

Get a type of floor chair called a 'back jack' Love them! I cannot say enough about how handy they are to have around the house. I used ours constantly when I was nursing a baby/toddler and when I was reading picture books while sitting on the floor etc. They are great for reading or writing while sitting on the floor.

We had one that got trashed by the kids so don't let them use it as a toy. My younger son would stand on the cushion and push hard on the back and finally the seam ripped. We got that one used at a garage sale so who knows how old it was. But the one I got new is fine.

Thanks, everyone. I would love to get banana rockers, but I need something with a smaller profile, which is why I'm trying to avoid the beanbags. It's a small room, and we already have a lot crammed in there! I'm culling HS stuff today to start consolidating *sigh*

I like the stackable footstools, thanks! And I'm to take a look at the floor pillow options at Ikea the next time we're there.

Get a type of floor chair called a 'back jack' Love them! I cannot say enough about how handy they are to have around the house. I used ours constantly when I was nursing a baby/toddler and when I was reading picture books while sitting on the floor etc. They are great for reading or writing while sitting on the floor.

We had one that got trashed by the kids so don't let them use it as a toy. My younger son would stand on the cushion and push hard on the back and finally the seam ripped. We got that one used at a garage sale so who knows how old it was. But the one I got new is fine.

I just pinned a picture of this thing to my Pinterest! It's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for, but I have such a hard time believing the hinges really stand up to that kind of pressure, even from kids. They're really as sturdy as they seem? That's amazing. And it looks like they fold up flat, so I could store them under the couch when not in use. Hmmmm...

We have the backjack style chairs from plow and hearth and they are holding up very well. The kids use them daily (they are in our reading corner) and can be pretty rambunctious with them but they have not been damaged. I even find them comfortable.

Have you looked into Japanese or Korean style floor chairs? I have one of those floor tables. Its been very handy. I fold the legs flat and hang it on a wall when not in use, but it would just as easily slide under a couch. The chairs are designed for sitting on the floor at these tables.

1D03AE3B-BB50-40BC-957A-F5501988D372-10465-00001268E6CCD317.jpg

...I would love to get banana rockers, but I need something with a smaller profile, which is why I'm trying to avoid the beanbags. It's a small room, and we already have a lot crammed in there! I'm culling HS stuff today to start consolidating *sigh*

I wondered what you had against beanbag chairs. Everybody loves beanbag chairs! But I agree, they take up a lot of room.

I wondered what you had against beanbag chairs. Everybody loves beanbag chairs! But I agree, they take up a lot of room.

:lol: Good ones are so expensive too. I've tried to acquire a few beanbags inexpensively over the years (from Target, Freecycle, etc.), and they just come right apart at the seams. I don't have another $300 for quality beanbag chairs right now, unfortunately. But I agree, I do love a good beanbag chair!

• 8 years later...