Menu

No-Diagramming Families

I didn't want to say anti-diagramming :p

We have tried diagramming and it just didn't click with my first few students. So, I am completely not interested in trying again.

We have used and liked FLL 1/2, Easy Grammar, and Queen's Language Lessons.

I know Shurley doesn't teach diagramming. We used Winston, but I think that was wasted time.

Just curious what other families have used and their thoughts on them.

Haven't used your other choices, but we really liked Easy Grammar. My DS is very visual, so that's the only reason we switched to Hake, for the diagramming aspect because he likes to "see" the sentence structure. If it wasn't for that, we'd have stuck with Easy Grammar + Daily Grams all the way through. Secular (couldn't use R&S), thorough, simple to implement.

Off topic, sort-of...but thanks for the MCT comments! I'm hunting through tons of language arts programs & trying to decide if I like ILL & PLL that we are currently using. I had not found that one & searched 'mct grammar' & found Michael Clay Thompson Grammar. I had not found that one yet - so now I can check it out. I had read CD reviews & found that she likes AG (for my older student though)...but it is so expensive. I saw Winstong Grammar was another pick she likes - but wasn't sure about whether that would work. I tried R&S for my older son - but I started @ 5th & he was pulling his hair out because he had not been worked up through the program. So...now I will check out MCT!

I do teach diagramming, but if I had a student that simply couldn't get it, I'd stick with MCT's 4 level analysis. I do like how sentence diagramming makes it explicit which words and phrases modify the subject, the predicate, and the direct object or subject complement. But I wouldn't consider it a hill upon which to die, KWIM?

I do teach diagramming, but if I had a student that simply couldn't get it, I'd stick with MCT's 4 level analysis. I do like how sentence diagramming makes it explicit which words and phrases modify the subject, the predicate, and the direct object or subject complement. But I wouldn't consider it a hill upon which to die, KWIM?

This is me as well, however I have a kid that gets positively giddy when I bring out the diagramming exercises. She LOVES it!!

KISS is thorough but doesn't use diagramming.

This is what we use. Mine are in high school, one is reading Les Mis, the other is reading Picture of Dorian Gray (both very slowly); I alternate daily between the two books - I find a long, complicated sentence from the book and write it on the white board, they copy and label the pieces a la KISS. Then they do the 6 sentence shuffle that we learned in CW's Homer.

Earlier today one of the them brought me something he had written, I circled a big piece and told him to "go KISS this and see if you're really saying what you think you're saying". The boy was trying to make a sentence out of about 6 adverbial clauses.

The 4 level analysis has the sentence followed by 4 lines. On the first, the student labels the parts of speech. On the second, the student labels the simple subject, simple predicate, and any of the following: direct object, indirect object, subject complement. On the third, the student labels phrases. On the fourth, the student labels clauses and the type of sentence (simple declarative, compound imperative, complex interrogative, etc.)