Menu

s/o church beliefs...

shanvan

Have you ever attended a church that professed to have a certain set of beliefs, but did not actually stay true to those beliefs? For example, sermons preached ideas that are contrary to the doctrines of the congregation, or members were asked to do things that don't quite line up with the doctrines?

I would find that more upsetting than attending a church that had a doctrinal statement I didn't totally agree with. At least with the latter church they were preaching/teaching what they stated they stood for. In your example they aren't even following what they say they believe and I would be very cautious.

Yes, it felt like bait and switch. It was very painful to already be involved, esp kids, and then find out it was cult-ish.

Yes. What was preached was correct. What was lived and used in examples did not match the principles/doctrines preached. People followed what was modeled, not what was preached, more the pity.

These two..and /or we *thought* that certain teachings were correct. Sigh.

we have attended, but not joined such a church. And our attendance was either becasue we didn't know of their practices and assumed they would practice what their main church body taught, or becasue we attened with family members while visiting them.

Why are you asking this question?

Dh and I think we may have encountered such a situation. I just wondered if anyone else has.

Yes. What was preached was correct. What was lived and used in examples did not match the principles/doctrines preached. People followed what was modeled, not what was preached, more the pity.

Well, that's an interesting twist. I hadn't even thought of that as something that could happen. Disturbing.

there was one time in our lives where we were looking for a church home and we had to visit several churches before finding one that was adhearing to the teachings that their denomination said they taught. It was frustrating...we didn't think it needed to be that hard, but it was.

If I can ask, what church body are you? We are Lutheran....Missouri Synod for those who would understand that.

there was one time in our lives where we were looking for a church home and we had to visit several churches before finding one that was adhearing to the teachings that their denomination said they taught. It was frustrating...we didn't think it needed to be that hard, but it was.

If I can ask, what church body are you? We are Lutheran....Missouri Synod for those who would understand that.

I'd rather not get into specifics b/c we are quietly exploring the possibility of a new church home.

ETA: It's also just a question forming in our minds and something we are wondering about, not necessarily a conclusion we've come to. We'd need to know more. I wanted to know if it's something that seems to happen often or not since I hadn't considered the possibility before.

I'm Catholic. I've been at parishes where the priest has preached and/or advised parishioners in contradiction to Church teaching. It is disappointing and frustrating at times, but not shocking to me. I view the Church as a hospital for sinners, and none of us are exempt, including leadership. Depending on the severity of the problem, we may write to the local bishop, begin to attend a different parish, or stay in the parish to help encourage others until a new priest was assigned. Most parishes I've been a member of have not had this problem, though, but had good, faithful priests.