Menu

So, what's one more.... right?

KrissiK

I'm offering a rocketry workshop for our co-op next month. Building model rockets from scratch. I've done this a million times with lots of different groups, so it's a process I've practically perfected. I closed the class at 15 (4th-8th graders), but now I've gotten two requests from moms to include their boys. Now, these boys are the ones whose eyes lit up when I mentioned rockets. They both happened to be out of town when we were doing sign ups, so they missed it the sign ups, the class filled fast and I closed it. Now, I know they are going to be excited and motivated to be there. I don't want to disappoint them. It would be different if their moms were just putting them in the class. Ugh. 17 kids. It'll be all right. Right?

It will be more than fine. The right kids make a class easier, not harder. I have the largest class this year (38 second graders) and it's one of the easiest. They are simply a great group and self led. No pushy from my end, which is what tires us teachers out the most.

Well, two more do make a difference but I'd hate to pass up on kids who were truly interested. Maybe you can bring in help. Last summer for my rocketry workshop I brought in some of the older kids who had built with me for a number of years and it made the day go really smoothly.

In my experience, I usually have one or two drops anyway so maybe it will even out at the number you originally anticipated. What a fun class! Do you mind sharing your materials?

Lisa

It is a fun class. We use cheap, light weight PVC pipe for the bodies, Target bags for parachutes and balsa wood for fins and the Estes engines. And lots of hot glue.. The kids love building them and launch day is always exciting and fun and sometimes a little adventurous if something malfunctions, but that rarely happens. Pm me and I'll see if I can throw something together to share. Most of my info is in my head.

It is a fun class. We use cheap, light weight PVC pipe for the bodies, Target bags for parachutes and balsa wood for fins and the Estes engines. And lots of hot glue.. The kids love building them and launch day is always exciting and fun and sometimes a little adventurous if something malfunctions, but that rarely happens. Pm me and I'll see if I can throw something together to share. Most of my info is in my head.

I'd love to read your reply too.

I run a robotics club and we mostly use the lego mindstorm, but we are considering rockets for the spring.

How many sessions do you end up doing and about how much time per sesssion? Do you have only one launcher? Do kids pay for supplies?

We have launched rockets on our own but doing it in a group sounds both fun and a bit intimidating.

Any tips appreciated.