Menu

Why didn't I think?

We are painting the kitchen popcorn ceiling today. I was in there all day yesterday prepping...This is way harder than ordinary paint. Please remind me of the savings we do-it-yourself crazy people have. $#@! I'm going back in, did I mention it's a popcorn ceiling? Never, never again. I sure hope it looks good when we finish. Gosh, I hope we finish.

We are painting the kitchen popcorn ceiling today. I was in there all day yesterday prepping...This is way harder than ordinary paint. Please remind me of the savings we do-it-yourself crazy people have. $#@! I'm going back in, did I mention it's a popcorn ceiling? Never, never again. I sure hope it looks good when we finish. Gosh, I hope we finish.

I know see why you are armed in your avatar. My dh painted our with a sprayer before we moved in, now he wants to scrape it all off. I may need to borrow your sword.

We painted the popcorn ceiling in the kitchen and it was frustrating to say the least. May the force be with you!

I had no idea you could scrape off the popcorn. Sounds like another bear of a chore but I hate popcorn ceilings. What tools do you use to do such a thing? How long does it take before you stop finding popcorn all over the house? (lol)

We painted the popcorn ceiling in the kitchen and it was frustrating to say the least. May the force be with you!

I had no idea you could scrape off the popcorn. Sounds like another bear of a chore but I hate popcorn ceilings. What tools do you use to do such a thing? How long does it take before you stop finding popcorn all over the house? (lol)

You can scrape it, but it is a mess. You have to tarp everything, they make special scrapers or like large putty knives. It's kind of like Christmas pine needles, you'll find it everywhere years after it is gone. :tongue_smilie:

I've scraped the popcorn ceiling off of two of our bedrooms so far. Cover the walls, floor (and cabinets etc. if it is in the kitchen) with plastic. You can get light-weight plastic at Home Depot or Lowe's for next to nothing. Using a spray bottle or one of those big pump sprayers that you use with chemicals (this option is fastest), spray the ceiling in sections with water. Get the popcorn wet through but not dripping. Take a putty scraper (one about 4 inches wide or more is good) and scrape off the old putty. It should come off like butter! The scraping part is actually the easy part in my opinion.

Now is the difficult part for me. Once the popcorn is off, you will be left with the original dry-wall ceiling. There may be a few divots where your putty knife slipped. The ceiling may be a little bit uneven (this is why they put popcorn up there to begin with). To have a nice ceiling you need to mud the entire ceiling and sand it smooth. You can get mud in big boxes at Home Depot etc. - I would suggest getting the pre-mixed kind even though it is a big more expensive than the dry powder (just because it isn't so messy). Scoop some of the wet "mud" on your blade (a wider blade that is 8 inches or so is probably best for this job). Apply the mud as thinly and smoothly as you can onto the ceiling. (After a while you find there is a knack to this but I can't describe it!) I found that mudding the ceiling in slightly overlapping strips was the smoothest. Let dry (it dries fairly fast). Get one of those sanding sponges. Sand and sand and sand until the ceiling is as smooth as a baby's bottom! (Repair any spots that look uneven with new mud, let dry and sand some more). Paint with primer. Paint with ceiling paint in the color you want.

I painted our popcorn ceilings and they don't look that "pop-corny" anymore.

I think we have the older, more subdued popcorn though. Once we painted it, it took on a Orange peel texture.

I like painting ceilings more than painting walls but it might be the paint I use. I have a 1' nap roller on a telescoping pole and my ceiling paint is tinted purple but dried white.

You can do it Tammyla! I hope you have a long nap on that roller. It will look great when your done and you will have saved a ton of $$$$$.

Did you consider scraping the popcorn off or do you like the look?

:grouphug:

Thank you, Gretchen. I wish we had considered it. I was hoping to just touch up a science experiment gone bad and a mustard splatter. Don't ask how it got up there..

I know see why you are armed in your avatar. My dh painted our with a sprayer before we moved in, now he wants to scrape it all off. I may need to borrow your sword.

My dh, just made a comment on removing the popcorn. We'll leave that for another day..no year, decade. I wish I could just wave a magic sword around and poof...make it done.

Painting popcorn ceiling is hard work!

Take lots of break to give your arms a rest. You can do it.

I keep running out for things like food, and coffee. :D

You can do it!! I once painted the outside of a house we owned after getting an estimate. It took awhile and it was hard work, but saved a lot of money.

Yes...it feels better now that we are pretty much finished. I'm still hoping the third coat dries even and looks terrific.

Me either. I'm never going to paint another one except the very tiny downstairs bathroom as long as I live.

I've scraped the popcorn ceiling off of two of our bedrooms so far. Cover the walls, floor (and cabinets etc. if it is in the kitchen) with plastic. You can get light-weight plastic at Home Depot or Lowe's for next to nothing. Using a spray bottle or one of those big pump sprayers that you use with chemicals (this option is fastest), spray the ceiling in sections with water. Get the popcorn wet through but not dripping. Take a putty scraper (one about 4 inches wide or more is good) and scrape off the old putty. It should come off like butter! The scraping part is actually the easy part in my opinion.

Now is the difficult part for me. Once the popcorn is off, you will be left with the original dry-wall ceiling. There may be a few divots where your putty knife slipped. The ceiling may be a little bit uneven (this is why they put popcorn up there to begin with). To have a nice ceiling you need to mud the entire ceiling and sand it smooth. You can get mud in big boxes at Home Depot etc. - I would suggest getting the pre-mixed kind even though it is a big more expensive than the dry powder (just because it isn't so messy). Scoop some of the wet "mud" on your blade (a wider blade that is 8 inches or so is probably best for this job). Apply the mud as thinly and smoothly as you can onto the ceiling. (After a while you find there is a knack to this but I can't describe it!) I found that mudding the ceiling in slightly overlapping strips was the smoothest. Let dry (it dries fairly fast). Get one of those sanding sponges. Sand and sand and sand until the ceiling is as smooth as a baby's bottom! (Repair any spots that look uneven with new mud, let dry and sand some more). Paint with primer. Paint with ceiling paint in the color you want.

Please come and we'll pay you.:D

Go Tammyla! Rid the world of one more tacky ceiling. When my dh and I were looking at homes a few years ago we had a realtor who tried to pass off a sparkly popcorn ceiling as a good thing. :001_rolleyes:
I wish we had more options when we purchased this one, but we do love our home and neighborhood. That makes this worth it, right?

I painted our popcorn ceilings and they don't look that "pop-corny" anymore.

I think we have the older, more subdued popcorn though. Once we painted it, it took on a Orange peel texture.

I like painting ceilings more than painting walls but it might be the paint I use. I have a 1' nap roller on a telescoping pole and my ceiling paint is tinted purple but dried white.

Oh yes! We are using a roller and a long handle. I began my painting disaster last week with a paint brush and myself. It would have taken forever....My dh (bless his heart) requested I let him do the painting from now on. :grouphug:

Thank you, thank you all.

Go Tammyla! Rid the world of one more tacky ceiling. When my dh and I were looking at homes a few years ago we had a realtor who tried to pass off a sparkly popcorn ceiling as a good thing. :001_rolleyes:

:lol::iagree::lol: Karen, one of these days, we should meet at the Beanery on Bay Ave. I love that place.

I just scraped our kitchen popcorn off last month. What a mess! Then we couldn't get the right texture up so I figured I'd buy a paint additive texture. It turned out okay but a part of the ceiling was already orange peel texture and now it doesn't blend well. I gave up after the third gallon of textured paint. Good luck! And woe to the people who thought acoustic (the real name for the popcorn stuff) was a great idea!

I'm doing a happy dance~ It's done...we went out for lunch and some fresh air...Now it just looks so clean and new:001_smile:.

Dh decided to give the kids our Wii fit....today of all days. (It's a little early for Christmas imho.) I'm wii pooped watching from the couch. I think I need a beverage.

Be aware that old "popcorn" ceilings used to contain asbestos, so if you think it may have been sprayed before asbestos was outlawed, it is wise to have it tested first, before you scape it.

You do not want to scrape asbestos ridden popcorn ceilings yourself. This requires professional removal. Serious business.

Bill

Thanks for the reminder. Our house is only 10 years old so luckily no asbestos & we simply painted it. It looks so new, but we almost wished we would have scraped it. Then again, that would have led me to consider doing the rest of house.:glare:

Be aware that old "popcorn" ceilings used to contain asbestos, so if you think it may have been sprayed before asbestos was outlawed, it is wise to have it tested first, before you scape it.

You do not want to scrape asbestos ridden popcorn ceilings yourself. This requires professional removal. Serious business.

Bill

Bill

Bill - being the over zealous types, my husband and I tackled an asbestos popcorn ceiling too! Complete with tyvex suits and respirators!

Tammy - I'm glad that the job is done! Forget more exercise - grab a Mike's!

You can scrape it, but it is a mess. You have to tarp everything, they make special scrapers or like large putty knives. It's kind of like Christmas pine needles, you'll find it everywhere years after it is gone. :tongue_smilie:

Works. Like. A. Charm! It's the ultimate portable dust collection system!

*sigh*

I had that stuff on ceilings... thank heaven for high nap rollers!