Menu

Science for a 6 year old .......

scbusf

Quick background: DS is 6.5, and I just withdrew him from pubic school, where he was in the 1st grade. He did very little science in that school. He is gifted, as well as has some sensory processing issues.

My issue(s):

- He LOVES science. Totally eats it up.

- We are on a TIGHT budget.

- For now, we are using library books and learning about each type of animal (Amphibians, Birds, Mammals, Fish, etc)

- We also watch YouTube videos and shows on various channels. We also use various books with experiments.

- I am willing to continue to piece together stuff for him, but I am worried it won't be enough.

I have looked at Noeo and I feel like I could do a similar job, so why bother buying it?

I have looked at RSO. I LOVE their worksheets, but I don't love the "textbook". I also think the science isn't enough for him.

I have looked at Elemental Science and I like the program, but I don't love the artwork on the worksheets. Petty, I know!!!

So. Any advice? Continue piecing together? Is there something else I should check out?

I pieced it together at that age and for many years after that. If you are looking for some resources and ideas you can look through some of our science studies. I have their links posted on the left hand side of my blog. I mostly used library books and activities and started using a textbook in 5th grade. My oldest child lives and breathes science. Right now we are in the middle of a year long invertebrate study :)

I wouldn't worry that it won't be enough. Science was definitely an important part of our homeschool because of my son's love, but I didn't use any program beyond one RS4K book until 5th grade and in 5th grade he had no problem using a textbook typically used in 9th grade.

I pieced it together at that age and for many years after that. If you are looking for some resources and ideas you can look through some of our science studies. I have their links posted on the left hand side of my blog. I mostly used library books and activities and started using a textbook in 5th grade. My oldest child lives and breathes science. Right now we are in the middle of a year long invertebrate study :)

I wouldn't worry that it won't be enough. Science was definitely an important part of our homeschool because of my son's love, but I didn't use any program beyond one RS4K book until 5th grade and in 5th grade he had no problem using a textbook typically used in 9th grade.

I agree, except we don't ever use textbks until high school level credit courses. Reading trade books on science topics is the only way we cover science up to that pt. My kids have had zero problems transitioning to a textbk and have had zero problems with "missing" content. Fwiw, I now have a child that is a professional chemical engineer and did extremely well in college and an 11th grader that made a 5 last yr on the chem AP and a very high A in cal physics at local university last semester. Even my lit-loving college freshman dd made A's last semester in both chemistry and anatomy and physiology. Just sharing that bc I am not stating hypothetical outcome, but real results.

K-12 education takes place over more than a decade. Covering a variety of topics yr after yrs builds a solid educational base for future science studies.

This link has a list that is a good starting place for those that want some sort of guide to good science bks for kids.

http://www.nsta.org/publications/ostb/default.aspx

I am using BFSU 1(Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding) with my 5 year old and she loves it. Except for the cost of the book (and there is a $5 PDF version available) it has cost me almost nothing and she is learning a large amount. It does take a bit of parental planning to implement but I have found this time worth it.

Another vote for BFSU. It provides surprisingly great content, given the recommended grade levels. For kids who really love science, there is an opportunity to go pretty indepth and to really foster more scientific thinking skills. To make it easier for myself, I just read through the material with ds instead of preparing the lesson in advance. I found that this was not a barrier for my son, who was highly motivated to learn science. And it made my life so much simpler and easier.