Menu

If I loved the book Unbroken, what other historical non-fiction books?

tammyw

I couldn't put the book down. I've been sick all week and just wanted to read. What an amazing story. I'm a non-fiction lover anyway. I've decided this is the year I want to spend reading/learning more about history (the area of my education that's always been sorely lacking). Can anyone recommend more historical non-fiction books that are that fascinating? TIA!

Have you read Band of Brothers? Excellent, another WWII story. Be sure to see the superlative miniseries afterwards (though probably not for little eyes - preview first).

Ghost Soldiers: Epic Account of WWII's Greatest Rescue Mission? Yet another WWII story, very similar in some ways to Unbroken.

How about Devil in the White City? A surprisingly gripping tale of the Chicago World's Fair circa 1896.

I haven't read Unbroken, but I have discovered that my favorite nonfiction is nonfiction with a plot, and it sounds like Unbroken fits in that category.

With that assumption, I have two recommendations: Operation Mincemeat (about a WWII espionage plot to plant false evidence for the Germans to throw them off our invasion of Sicily) and Brunelleschi's Dome (about how Brunelleschi solved the engineering and architectural puzzle of how to build the dome on the cathedral in Florence).

I loved Unbroken, too. Seabiscuit is another good one by the same author (I see it has been recommended already).

The Greater Journey: Americans in Paris by David McCullough is wonderful! Basically, anything by David McCullough is going to be very readable. :)

Another one I recently read by him is Mornings on Horseback: The Story of an Extraordinary Family, a Vanished Way of Life, and the Unique Child Who Grew Up to Be Theodore Roosevelt. Fascinating stuff!

I will second Ghost Soldiers and Mao's Last Dancer and also suggest The Forgotten 500 and Endurance,

Endurance takes place just before WWI breaks out, which is probably why the story did not receive wider acclaim at the time. And the survivors (and it spoils nothing to tell you right off the bat that they all survive) came home, went off to WWI and got on with their lives. Anyway, amazing story of some amazing individuals.

Terri

Seabiscuit is good. Of course, I'm a horse person that has worked with a lot off the track horses, so I am biased! :) I read In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin (Erik Larson) recently and thought that was pretty interesting. Different, but still *sort of* historical non-fiction is Jared Diamond's stuff. Guns, Germs, and Steel was fascinating, in my opinion. Technically it's science, but the anthropology aspects make it feel more like history, to me anyway. But not non-fiction with a plot like Seabiscuit or Unbroken (disclaimer: he's also probably not your guy if you are a strict creationist or YE'er).

I don't read a ton of non-fiction, so that's about all I have to throw out there right now!

Seabiscuit is good. Of course, I'm a horse person that has worked with a lot off the track horses, so I am biased! :) I read In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin (Erik Larson) recently and thought that was pretty interesting. Different, but still *sort of* historical non-fiction is Jared Diamond's stuff. Guns, Germs, and Steel was fascinating, in my opinion. Technically it's science, but the anthropology aspects make it feel more like history, to me anyway. But not non-fiction with a plot like Seabiscuit or Unbroken (disclaimer: he's also probably not your guy if you are a strict creationist or YE'er).

I don't read a ton of non-fiction, so that's about all I have to throw out there right now!

I just ordered (and received a few days ago) Guns, Germs, and Steel, so that's good to hear!

I recently finished River of Doubt, about Teddy Roosevelt's expedition to discover part of the Amazon River. That book was riveting! I have Unbroken in my to-read "pile" (on my Kindle); the person who rec'd that also rec'd River of Doubt. :) I'm much more into non-fiction as well.

I loved Unbroken and am glad you got so many responses! I can't wait to read some of these. I read Bonhoeffer; I thought it was excellent. A bit heavy at times, but good.

Have you read Band of Brothers? Excellent, another WWII story. Be sure to see the superlative miniseries afterwards (though probably not for little eyes - preview first).

Ghost Soldiers: Epic Account of WWII's Greatest Rescue Mission? Yet another WWII story, very similar in some ways to Unbroken.

How about Devil in the White City? A surprisingly gripping tale of the Chicago World's Fair circa 1896.

Band of Brothers is my favorite series EVER. Loved it. My Dad was wounded on Normandy beach and lived, after 2 years in the hospital.

I've not read Ghost Soldiers, and I thought I'd seen all the WWII stuff by now.

Winter of the World by Ken Follett is fiction, but extremely detailed, and he is known for his historical research. This particular novel is set in WWII Europe, and I've really enjoyed it so far.

I just finished reading Shadow of the Banyan - it's about a young girl and her family during the Khmer Rouge period in Cambodia. Very good writing, heartbreaking, yet hopeful. I didn't realize until I got to the author's note at the end it was autobiographical.

Charlie Wilson's War, and this is fiction but I cannot recommend A Thousanf Splendid Suns enough. Loved it way more than Kite Runner. It is sort of a fictional sequel to Charlie Wilson's War.

Terri

I completely agree. Thousand Splendid Suns was amazing...the writing was incredible.

He is still alive??? I had no idea!

Terri

Yes! He actually lives really close to me, and I contacted the group who books his speaking gigs - they told me to google my city name and his name, and voila, I found a perfect event for us to attend where he will be the keynote speaker. To say I'm excited would be an understatement!

Yes! He actually lives really close to me, and I contacted the group who books his speaking gigs - they told me to google my city name and his name, and voila, I found a perfect event for us to attend where he will be the keynote speaker. To say I'm excited would be an understatement!

How exciting! You know you will have to post back and tell us all about it!

I would love to hear him speak in a live event. I've heard a recorded interview and enjoyed him very much. I've heard there is a movie in the works....

Very inspiring story--when my life is tough, I remember all he and others went through....

Another one that was fascinating was The Ghost Map by Steven Johnson. It's about how a doctor in 19th century London followed his new-fangled ideas about the spread of disease to trace the source and then stop the spread of a cholera outbreak. His work was instrumental in getting the authorities to accept the concept of germ transmission of disease. It reads like a mystery novel--very fascinating.