Menu

Places to stay in DC

PeacefulChaos

Well, I know there have been threads on this before but I can't find any, and I lost the one I had saved from the old boards. :)

We're going to head to DC for a weekend, probably late April (AFTER the cherry blossom festival) or, if we absolutely HAVE to, late March or early May. I'm trying to avoid May because the weather can get a little hot in midday, and trying to avoid March for the opposite reason. :D

We're planning on doing the zoo, some of the monuments, and the planetarium at the air & space center.

We want to park at our hotel and not have to get in the car again til we head home. I want to be convenient to the metro so that we can just walk/take the metro everywhere and not have to bother with driving.

Thanks!

The zoo stinks. I wouldn't waste sight seeing time on that unless you never get to a zoo.

I can't help you with a place to stay because we live in driving distance to the Metro.

We live walking distance from the zoo and I think it's rather a decent zoo. It has certainly had its issues, but I don't understand why some people think it's so terrible. Pandas, giant fish at Amazonia, the new sea lion enclosure, early morning when the howlers are out, midday when the orangutan's on the o-line, the whole invertebrates house... I mean, the naked mole rats alone should make it worth your time. ;)

I can't help with a place to stay though... But anywhere near a metro will do you. Crystal City or any of the spots along the Orange line in Arlington seem to be popular spots and there some sometimes deals to be found.

We just stayed at the Residence Inn in Roslynn. It had a queen bed, a fold-out couch and they brought up a rollaway bed for ds. It had a kitchen with fridge, microwave, 2-burner stove, etc (could help on expenses, if that is a problem). A hot breakfast was included; it had stuff like sausage, potatoes, scrambled eggs, muffins, a waffle-maker, oatmeal, fruit, cereal, lots of choices. We used points we had built up, but the gov't rate was normally around $180/night (they also had a weekend special this weekend of $119/night, you may be able to find something like that). They had a parking garage, and it was within walking distance of the metro (the blue and orange lines stop there). Using a regular farecard, it cost us $3-4 per way to get to the monuments, Smithsonian and such. Staying on the outskirts is cheaper than staying in the thick of things, but you can still be close enough to the metro.

I figured you'd chime in, lol.

Ok, let me rephrase. The zoo is okay but it's nothing special because it's the National Zoo. I wouldn't waste time on it if you never get to DC.

On the other hand it's free. And zoo admission to anything better costs an arm and a leg. We went all the time while we lived in DC and I thought it was great!

OP, check hotels in Silver Spring as well. Sometimes MD is cheaper than VA just because its less popular. And the ride in on the red line from up there might be quicker than the lines out in VA.

I figured you'd chime in, lol.

Ok, let me rephrase. The zoo is okay but it's nothing special because it's the National Zoo. I wouldn't waste time on it if you never get to DC.

Hehe. Yes, it's true. If you live near a good zoo, then it's not any better simply by virtue of being the "National Zoo." If you live near a decent zoo, it can totally be skipped.

Here's the thing I really, really don't understand. We have soooooo much great art here. Like, so much. And yet people come here and don't go see any art. They see the monuments, the zoo, Air and Space, American History, Natural History and maybe the Spy Museum or the Newseum or the Holocaust Museum... But there are like 20 art museums here with really famous art - we have the only Da Vinci in North America and some of the best collections of modern art around, and some really famous Impressionist art and a whole room of whimsical Calders and... Eh. I guess I'm just an art museum freak because it always seems really weird to me.

Oh, and we do plan on coming to see the art in a few years. :) I have trips to DC planned every two or three years until my kids graduate lol. :D

Every family is different, but we try to pop into free museums whenever we can. If you are on the mall and walking by, picking one room at the National Gallery and spending 15 minutes is a nice way to dip the kids toes in the water of art museums. We always leave before they get bored and, so far, my pretty little kids still think art museums are fun. Just my two cents, don't meant to get all preachy :)

Every family is different, but we try to pop into free museums whenever we can. If you are on the mall and walking by, picking one room at the National Gallery and spending 15 minutes is a nice way to dip the kids toes in the water of art museums. We always leave before they get bored and, so far, my pretty little kids still think art museums are fun. Just my two cents, don't meant to get all preachy :)

Yes, this is part of our philosophy as well. DC's free museums makes art viewing easy. You go in, you stay for twenty minutes, you walk out and everyone feels fuzzy and happy about the art and no one is upset from having to stay too long (the kids) or from having shelled out $50 and only stayed for an hour (the adults).

When our AC was out over the summer, we had an impromptu vacation. We stayed at a hotel on Embassy Row, and it was nice. Clean, great service, great view, kids loved the pool on the roof. Metro close by. We had a blast. It was not expensive, I can try to get specifics for you, if you want.

One more plug for art here. The art museums here are at the top of DS's list, always. The Building Museum is fun too, and often missed. And we love the zoo!

So grateful for this timely thread as I am just making reservations to come for the month of Feb. For a longer stay, look into corporate apartments. Currently, I found some for $125/night close to metro stops. Feel free to PM me.

What are the top three hidden museum jewels?

Any don't miss items after we have checked off the usual suspects?

I'm slightly huffy as the search function is completly useless, and I noted several threads to return to over the past year in anticipation of this trip.

What are the top three hidden museum jewels?

How hidden? There are so many treasures in our museums in DC that is hard to start. If I could only pick 3 things to see in DC?

The documents in The Rotunda-the Constitution, Magna Carta, Declaration of Independence, etc.

Michaelangelo's "David Apollo" is currently on display the National Gallery

A First Folio at the Folger Shakespeare Museum

How hidden? There are so many treasures in our museums in DC that is hard to start. If I could only pick 3 things to see in DC?

The documents in The Rotunda-the Constitution, Magna Carta, Declaration of Independence, etc.

Michaelangelo's "David Apollo" is currently on display the National Gallery

A First Folio at the Folger Shakespeare Museum

Sorry, my question was poorly worded. We are going to be in DC for a month, the National Gallery is a given. I meant what three museums are hidden/off general radar? A PP mentioned that many of the art museums are overlooked.

We will definitely see your recommendations!

P.S. How did you get out of the hive and on cupcake duty?

We always stay at the Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g28970-d84074-Reviews-Holiday_Inn_Washington_Capitol-Washington_DC_District_of_Columbia.html

We usually go off season and get decent rates that include parking. We like to use the Old Town Trolley, and it picks up at the hotel in the morning or a few blocks away throughout the day. Air and Space is a block from the hotel. Dh likes the Starbucks off the lobby, and ds likes to get Pizza Hut pizza room service. We park in the underground parking and don't use our car until we leave. I believe the metro is a block away, but we never use it and I can't be sure. The only negative about the area is the lack of restaurants within walking distance. That didn't matter to us as it was better for us to get room service after a long day of sightseeing with our s/n son, but I can see it being a problem for others.

Sorry, my question was poorly worded. We are going to be in DC for a month, the National Gallery is a given. I meant what three museums are hidden/off general radar? A PP mentioned that many of the art museums are overlooked.

Download the Smithsonian app and you shouldn't miss out on any of the art museums. :) the Folger Library is private though-they also have a theater that is reminiscent (not an exact replica) of The Globe.

Tips: you can go the James Madison building and get a reader card, this will allow access to parts of the Library of Congress that you would otherwise not be able to access. If you want to tour the White House or Congressional Sessions, then you should start arranging those now. You can get a better tour (than the public one) of the Capitol Building by arranging a private tour through your Congressman/woman.

I have accrued vacation days. ;D

Here is a short article on some of the quirkier museums:

http://www.examiner.com/article/hidden-washington-dc-s-quirkiest-museums

Since you have a month? I would recommend Monitcello, Mount Vernon and other places outside the metro area, if you can swing it. Even Richmond has a fabulous art museum (known for its large collection of Faberge) and a Tudor mansion that was dismantled and moved to Richmond. http://www.agecrofthall.com/ while Petersburg features the "White House of the Confederacy" and the only church in existence will all Tiffany windows.

Download the Smithsonian app and you shouldn't miss out on any of the art museums. :) the Folger Library is private though-they also have a theater that is reminiscent (not an exact replica) of The Globe.

Tips: you can go the James Madison building and get a reader card, this will allow access to parts of the Library of Congress that you would otherwise not be able to access. If you want to tour the White House or Congressional Sessions, then you should start arranging those now. You can get a better tour (than the public one) of the Capitol Building by arranging a private tour through your Congressman/woman.

I have accrued vacation days. ;D

Here is a short article on some of the quirkier museums:

http://www.examiner....irkiest-museums

Thank you so much! These are the kinds of things that aren't readily apparent. I'm too late with the White House tour, as they need to be booked 3-6 months in advance! We were at Monticello and Madison's House last year but definitely intend to see Mt. Vernon.

How is it to try and pack a lunch to take with us? Do most of the museums have lockers? Will they let us bring in backpacks?

Yes, it is safe to do the park and ride option at the metro stations - but the downside to this during the week the lots are very full (unless you arrive early) because of commuter parkers - DC and surrounding areas is all about the timing - beating rush hour traffic. I live in Northern Virginia. The Rosslyn/Key Bridge area provides easy access to DC via the metro (has one of the longest escalators around) and you can even walk the Key Bridge into DC/Georgetown. When my dad came here to work for a few weeks at time he rented a furnished apartment (way cheaper than the hotel) that came with a full-sized well-equiped kitchen which was located near the Iwo Jima memorial and a 5 min. walk to the metro. I found the zoo enjoyable with young kids - not overwhelming crowds. If you want a fun stop try Georgetown Cupcakes - and if you go on a Wednesday or Thursday afternoon you'll find one of the most friendly cops in DC keeping things safe. There are so many options in DC depending on ages/stages. The air and space is always a favorite for young kids but I think the one out at Dulles (unfortunately it is a drive) is even better - probably because of less crowds, off the beaten path. A little gem that we've found, but again, requires driving, but it is free, is the the Marine Core Museum outside of Quantico. If your little guy is into military stuff this is a great place - they even have a dining facility that is like the mess hall. They've added some new attractions where the kids can play dress-up and more. I want to go back to the American History musuem which was closed for some time because they did major renovations - just haven't made it there, yet. If you want to make a daytrip head for Baltimore - they have some great stuff for kids - the aquarium and a children's museum with lots of hands on opportunity.

Contact your member of Congress. Sometimes there can be a shorter lead time on entrance to some things that way. The Bureau of Engraving and Printing is pretty cool if you can get in.

We love the Building Museum. And the Postal Museum is quick but fun. The National Cathedral and National Basilica are both great and different.

Check out some local neighborhood fun. Eastern Market on Capitol Hill is great on the weekends, for example.

Usually I stay with my sister because she lives in DC but our last trip we stayed at The Embassy Suites-Chevy Chase Pavillion. We got a good rate by frequently checking expedia.com. It was clean and close to the metro. And we like the zoo. We find it an enjoyable afternoon. I will admit we have never once made it to an art musuem there are so many things to see and since I take my kids to the NYC museums with some frequency they would probably revolt if I suggested we take time away from their cousins to go to the art museum.

Contact your member of Congress. Sometimes there can be a shorter lead time on entrance to some things that way. The Bureau of Engraving and Printing is pretty cool if you can get in.

We love the Building Museum. And the Postal Museum is quick but fun. The National Cathedral and National Basilica are both great and different.

Check out some local neighborhood fun. Eastern Market on Capitol Hill is great on the weekends, for example.

Ooo...thanks! I didn't know about some of these places. Of course now I have my heart set on the Bureau of Engraving and Printing but we're going when they say tickets run out if you're not in line at 6:30am...bummer!

Ahhh! I was 'following' this and then somehow I wasn't following it anymore! Sigh...

:lol: We have a free art museum type thing where we live that the kids LOVE to go through (it's not real fancy or anything, just a local thing but has a 'museum' type atmosphere) and we're heading to a free one near us (regular art museum) in February. I'm looking forward to it!

When our AC was out over the summer, we had an impromptu vacation. We stayed at a hotel on Embassy Row, and it was nice. Clean, great service, great view, kids loved the pool on the roof. Metro close by. We had a blast. It was not expensive, I can try to get specifics for you, if you want. One more plug for art here. The art museums here are at the top of DS's list, always. The Building Museum is fun too, and often missed. And we love the zoo!

Yes, please! :)

We will definitely see your recommendations!

Since you're there so long, you might want to think about the Arboretum. The parking is free and easy and you can let the kids run free without worrying about concrete and traffic. Great for a picnic.

Thank you so much! These are the kinds of things that aren't readily apparent. I'm too late with the White House tour, as they need to be booked 3-6 months in advance! We were at Monticello and Madison's House last year but definitely intend to see Mt. Vernon.

How is it to try and pack a lunch to take with us? Do most of the museums have lockers? Will they let us bring in backpacks?

Definitely spend a day at Mt Vernon. We love it. You have to leave your cooler in the car and picnic outside the gates, but they have some tables there for that. My family actually liked the Capital tour better than the white house tour. You should be able to get tickets from your state representative so you don't have to figure it out here. I never remember the outside food policies and I live here, but they should be listed on individual museum sites. You might want to think about planning a meal in Chinatown (it's cheap) and at the American Indian museum. http://www.mitsitamcafe.com/content/menus.asp