Menu

Looking for reviews/advice on steam mops

naturally

I'm wanting to get a steam mop but don't even know where to start. I know there are so many. I think one of my top features is being able to adjust the steam - light cleaning to heavy cleaning.

Our house is a mix of floors - older wood that need refinished but aren't "bare", peel'n stick tile, laminate.

Anyone have one they'd recommend? Or avoid?

I'm hoping to find one under $100 but don't know if it's possible.

What kind is it? This would be great for me!

Steam&Sweep. If I use it daily or every other day in the kitchen or at any interval elsewhere, I don't have to sweep.

If I use it weekly in the kitchen, I usually sweep first. Our kitchen floor looks like the bottom of a parrot cage by then, though.

I bought one after I saw it recommended here (sorry, I don't remember which brand). I don't think it got my floors any cleaner than my regular damp mop. I still had to give it a little "scrub" or multiple passes if there was a spot on the floor. Since it was more trouble than it was worth, I returned it.

I don't think I'd get a steam mop. The peel and stick tile would scare me, and I've read many many things that say not to use one on real wood floors. The steam forces between the cracks and swells the wood over time. I would be especially worried if it was older wood and more so that its needing refinishing in spots.

That's just my opinion, I know a lot of people love them, and I was seriously considering one. But we built our home ourselves (physically built it, not paid someone) and I know how much work went into laying a houseful of hardwoods. I don't want to risk ruining them.

ETA: I use vinegar and water and a big ol shop mop. It's heavy, but it does the job. I don't mop all that often. I'm more of a vacuum it frequently and spot clean in between kind of girl.

I'm wanting to get a steam mop but don't even know where to start. I know there are so many. I think one of my top features is being able to adjust the steam - light cleaning to heavy cleaning.

Our house is a mix of floors - older wood that need refinished but aren't "bare", peel'n stick tile, laminate.

Anyone have one they'd recommend? Or avoid?

I'm hoping to find one under $100 but don't know if it's possible.

I don't think I'd get a steam mop. The peel and stick tile would scare me, and I've read many many things that say not to use one on real wood floors. The steam forces between the cracks and swells the wood over time. I would be especially worried if it was older wood and more so that its needing refinishing in spots.

That's just my opinion, I know a lot of people love them, and I was seriously considering one. But we built our home ourselves (physically built it, not paid someone) and I know how much work went into laying a houseful of hardwoods. I don't want to risk ruining them.

ETA: I use vinegar and water and a big ol shop mop. It's heavy, but it does the job. I don't mop all that often. I'm more of a vacuum it frequently and spot clean in between kind of girl.

I am starting to lean this way.

If you have all hardwood, what type of vacuum do you have? All I have is a broom and swiffer stuff. I just don't feel it gets clean enough.

I have a Dyson, but I've had others too. I just bought a minwax microfiber mop for in between spot cleanings. I've used the minwax hardwood floor cleaner before and liked that, but I haven't tried the mop yet. With a dog and two kids, I doubt my floor will ever be clean. Lol. The dog hair is unbelievable from one dog no matter how much I vacuum. We also live in the middle of a woods, so dirt and dust are imminent.

I generally use a washcloth for the "spots" as I see them, otherwise, I've just decided even if they look dusty, carpet must surely be dirtier since dust and dirt gets down in the fibers where you can't see it :).

Vinegar and water would be a bigger problem than the steam on wood. Steam mops aren't highly pressurized or anything.

Older wood is actually better than newer prefinished because the seal is applied in place.