Menu

Roasted potatoes

Night Elf

There is a place at the mall that has what they call roasted potatoes. They are quartered and are the consistency of a boiled potato. And then they have some type of awesome seasoning that I am totally clueless about. Do you think I can boil potatoes and then stir them in a seasoning mix? Would it stick? Then I just have to figure out what seasons to use. I wish the mall were closer, I'd go and buy them all the time!

LIPTON'S ONION ROASTED POTATOES

1 env. Lipton onion recipe soup mix

2 lbs. all-purpose potatoes, cut into lg. chunks

1/3 c. olive or vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In large plastic bag, add all ingredients. Close bag and shake until potatoes are evenly coated. empty potatoes into shallow baking or roasting pan; discard bag. Bake, stirring occasionally, 40 minutes or until potatoes are tender and golden brown. Garnish, if desired with chopped parsley. Makes about 8 servings.

These are very easy to make.

I use my own spices (rosemary, olive oil, garlic, onions) toss together and coat the pots well with the olive oil and bake in a slow oven (300) for about an hour.

You can Google roasted pots for some more recipes.

I wouldn't boil first, they would be mushy and fall apart.

I think there are some spice packets in your grocery store (near the veggies or in the spice isle)

I use just olive oil and Canadian Steak Seasoning. We like ours with a crisp crust so I bake them in my cast iron skillet at 400 for at least 40 minutes (I can't remember exactly) turning once about halfway through. If you want them softer use a regular baking pan.

When we roast potatoes, we quarter them, toss them in olive oil (and whatever seasoning we want to use), and cover them with foil for the first twenty minutes. The foil step is crucial, as it steams the potatoes, which gives them that nice texture inside. Then we remove the foil and continue roasting to get the golden crust.

Cat

The best roast potatoes are made by par boiling first. You want them just soft on the outside but not totally cooked, like if you drew a fork over them it would make a scratch easily but not mushy. Then drain the water and shake the pan so the edges fluff up a bit, thats what makes the crunchy bits. Then you add them to preheated oil, shake them in the pan so they are covered in oil and cook really hot for about 40minutes. You could add in seasoning when you shake the potatoes in the pan.

The best roast potatoes are made by par boiling first. You want them just soft on the outside but not totally cooked, like if you drew a fork over them it would make a scratch easily but not mushy. Then drain the water and shake the pan so the edges fluff up a bit, thats what makes the crunchy bits. Then you add them to preheated oil, shake them in the pan so they are covered in oil and cook really hot for about 40minutes. You could add in seasoning when you shake the potatoes in the pan.

This is what we do too. I squeeze lemon juice over them as well as tossing them in oil. The flavour is amazing and they brown really nicely.

Laura

I'd suggest just using a "waxy" potato such as a thin skinned white or red potatoes (of the sort one would used to make boiled potatoes). But don't boil them, rather cut them length-wise into quarters or sixths. Then dress with olive oil and add seasonings. Then put in a ovenproof dish and bake until golden brown.

Bill

I'd suggest just using a "waxy" potato such as a thin skinned white or red potatoes (of the sort one would used to make boiled potatoes). But don't boil them, rather cut them length-wise into quarters or sixths. Then dress with olive oil and add seasonings. Then put in a ovenproof and bake until golden brown.

Bill

Yep I do it like this. Toss with oil & seasoning. I love cajun seasoning

Thanks, Bill. My favorite kitchen item is a Farberware countertop convection oven I bought in early 1980s. I found that 375-400 F in convection works better for the potatoes than the 450 F in standard oven. Even in standard oven, I use 375-400 F for roasting vegetables.

Yeah. The hot air moving around gets the outside golden brown and almost puff the interior. It is a more interesting texture than in a standard oven.

Bill