Menu

Jan. meal planning- who's all in?

mhaddon

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also plan by the week. Is it ok to post a new menu each week?

Mon: Sopes, Tortilla Soup

Tues: Creamy Pasta, Portobellos, Salad

Wed: Chicken and Lime Soup, Fresh Corn Tortillas, Salad

Thurs: Mulligatawny, Baguette, Samosas

Fri: Gallo Pinto, Salad

Sat: Chicken Pot Pie

Sun: Chilaquiles, Beans, Rice

• 2 weeks later...

The next ten days or so:

Yesterday--grilled burgers, homemade rolls, salad

Today---homemade calzones w choice of fillings (cheese, pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms, onions, peppers, sautéed spinach), salad

Tues--ground turkey meatloaf, garlic mashed potatoes, roasted carrots, something green

Wed--pork carnitas gorditas (cooking light)

Thurs--omelets (broccoli, ham, cheese, mushrooms)

Fri--lemon chicken, pasta, something green

Sat--veggie samosas, not sure on sides

Sun--pork loin roasted with garlic and rosemary, butternut squash, something green

Mon--jerk chicken thighs cooked in crockpot with mangos and pineapple, brown rice, probably green beans

Is anyone still planning?

Yup

Monday: out

Tuesday: Spaghetti Bolognese and spinach salad

Wednesday: Blackened halibut tacos and Mexican quinoa salad

Thursday: Southwest chili con carne with homemade tortilla chips

Friday: out

Saturday: Steak fajitas with chili lime corn

Sunday: Minestrone with citrus salad

Latecomer--but here's my plan for the week:

Monday--steak fajitas

Tue--Spiced couscous with chicken and carrots

Wed--Pork chops with apples & onions, rosti potatoes

Thurs--pasta w/ sausage and slow-roasted tomatoes

Fri--tomato soup and grilled cheese (lunch), pierogies with caramelized onions (dinner)

Sat--shredded pork tacos

Sun--roasted chicken w/ veggies, grain tbd (will use from freezer/pantry)

I don't always plan vegetables because we almost always have a first-course salad before our meal. Most days we eat leftovers for lunch. My problem is that I have a lot of stuff in my freezer, like slow-roasted tomatoes that I froze from the summer, that I always forget to use. I hope that making a thoughtful plan each week will help with that.

I finally got some massive shopping done and got DH on board with meal planning. Meatballs, meatloaf cupcakes, and sliders are already cooked/prepared and in the freezer ready for dinner nights. Here's the rest of our month:

1/20 - Potatoes & Eggs

1/21- Crockpot Roasted Chicken, potatoes, veg

1/22- Spaghetti w/ meatballs, veg

1/23-Black Bean Chili

1/24- Chicken Quinoa, vegs

1/25 - Eggs & Tortillas

1/26 - Freebirds (dinner out to celebrate a bday)

1/27 - Sliders, baked fries

1/28 - Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, veg

1/29 - Baked chicken, rice, vegs

1/30 - Quinoa and Black Beans

1/31 - Bacon, eggs, beans

2/1 - Homemade pizza

Monday - Shredded BBQ chicken, corn

Tuesday - White Chicken Chili, homemade rolls

Wednesday - Meatloaf, Mashed Potatoes, Broccoli

Thursday - Breakfast for dinner (eggs, hashbrowns, toast)

Friday - Hawaiian Chicken, Rice, Green Beans, Pinapple

Saturday - Leftovers

Sunday - Making a ham, dressing, and not sure on other sides yet.

quoting myself to update the changes we ended up making.

There is no way I can plan the whole month out since baby is due in 3 weeks so sometime this month everyone will be scattered for a while. Plus some days I just have no energy to cook and we pull out a freezer meal. But I have a few days worth so far (mostly stolen from ideas in the last few days. Also I don't usually plan sides and veggies as I just pull together something from what I have/feel like making that day.

29th Baked Fish with Tomato Herb Sauce over mashed potatoes

30th Korean Beef over rice

31st and 1st we have family event so won't be home for dinner

2nd Roast Sticky Chicken in the crockpot and roasted potatoes (either red or sweet since I've got both on hand right now but not both because we don't like them mixed) Made Cajun Roasted sweet potatoes

3rd Onion and Bacon tart from Saveur that was posted here

4th Creamy Chicken and Bacon Carbonara that someone posted above ended up making fried rice with leftover bits in the fridge

5th Chicken Soup Really really glad I had this scheduled as mutliple family members (myself included) were hit with the flu over the next week.

6th-9th Easy stuff as my husband is out of town and the kids aren't as picky about eating leftovers and odd assortments I find in the freezer

6th leftovers

7th Ham and broccoli bake with homemade alfredo sauce

8th Slow cooker Balsamic Chicken over mashed potatoes

9th Tacos

10th frozen pizzas

11th Korean beef

12th leftovers

13th Spaghetti with chicken sausage

14th Bacon and Kale skillet, roasted cajun sweet potatoes

15th Papa Murphy's take and bake pizza

16th Crockpot Beef and Broccoli

17th garlic CHicken

18th dear son arrived, I didn't cook but I think the kids ate leftovers

19th I think the kids ate more leftovers, not sure though because Grandma was watching them

20th chicken tenders (just home from hospital this is as ambitious as I could get)

21st beef stroganoff (lunch pulled from freezer), chicken enchiladas (another freezer meal)

22nd crockpot pot roast

23rd quesadillas (filling pulled from freezer)

24th something with chicken but I don't know if I will cook or pull out a freezer meal. depends on energy that day.

That is what we did so far. I'm thinking ahead and usually have several ideas for each day (that require different amounts of work) and waiting until the day of to decide which I will ultimately make. I grocery shopped Friday before I went into labor so between that and freezer meals I won't have to go to the store for a couple of weeks. Which is good since the high today was about 6 degrees and I don't really want to take a newborn out in this cold spell we will have this week.

I only do by the week, but here it is:

Breakfasts (usually served with fruit):

Steel cut oats

Biscuits and gravy

Breakfast burritos

Boiled eggs and cereal

Eggs in peppers

Monkey bread and scrambled eggs

Lunches:

Baked potatoes

Sandwiches, chips, veggies

Red and black bean polenta pies

Mini pizza cups

Chile relleno casserole

Leftovers

-out-

Dinner:

Chili and cornbread

Chicken fajitas

Crockpot lasagna, salad

Guinness chicken, broccoli, rice pilaf

Burgers, crash potatoes, stuffed zucchini

Crockpot chicken spaghetti

Good gravy, February :eek:

Doing 10 days at a time is working really well. I have been planning a week at a time (Sunday-Saturday) then usually being thrown for a loop by the presence of the next Sunday. You'd think I'd figure it out :lol:

Shoosh, I don't want to even think about February yet. I *just* got my January figured out!

I schedule for 2 weeks too, which basically means payday to payday. Beyond that though... :huh:

I have to admit that I love having my meals planned out though. This morning I realized I never put out my black beans to soak for chili, so I swapped tonight's dinner with Thursday, and can put out the beans tonight.

Here's the rest of the month:

1/23 (Wed): Eat at church

1/24 (Thurs): Leftover Crockpot Citrus Chicken, Jasmine Rice and salad

1/25 (Fri): Soup of choice and Grilled Cheese Sandwiches, fruit

1/26 (Sat): Company (5 other couples, no kids): Cheese Dip and Chips, Chicken Fajitas, Refried Black Beans, Spanish Rice, Salad, whatever appetizer & desserts they bring, Dos Equis and Corona, some wine......

1/27 (Sun): Leftovers or eat out

1/28 (Mon): Asian Meatballs with Jasmine and strawberries

1/29 (Tues): Crockpot Bbq Chicken, Alexia fries and salad

1/30 (Wed): Church

1/31 (Thurs): Leftover bbq chicken, macaroni & cheese, salad

This has been the best! I planned out my month, but just shopping by week. I love knowing what I am cooking! Especially on sports nights. I've got to find more quick meals now that baseball started. I just double check the recipes for ingredients.

This week

Steakums and fries (kids request!)

Risotto with spinach and mushrooms

Spaghetti and meatballs

Chicken and dumplings in crockpot

Mexican chicken in a crockpot for tortillas

I need to get menu planing for February & possibly March/April. Ds#2 starts the new school year on 1st February & term 1 is usually chaos with scouts/sailing/hockey. Last year I did a big freezer cooking session & planned meals for the whole 10 week term. It flowed so-o-o much easier than previous years. This year January has been a Low/No Spend month with a focus on shopping our freezer/garden/pantry first. I think I'll use our long weekend this weekend to do a stocktake of our freezer & pantry with a goal of using our existing resources as a base for February's menu. I hope to draft the menu for March/April as well & begin a shopping list for each month to fit that month's menu. Hopefully this will allow me to take advantage of sales as they happen to restock the freezer with the items we need for the next few months. I'm not going to focus on being prepared for disasters as if I have on hand the general items I need for the next few months I am already prepared, right? One thing I have liked with menu planning is that we are eating less processed foods & more "real" foods. This wasn't a focus, but is a nice side benefit.

Please put a link to any February Menu planning threads as I have gotten some great ideas off other posts in this thread.

I was going to start working on my feb. plan in the next day or so because my azure order is due by mid week. And I want to have it ready to go this time!! Trying to get ahead of the game this month!! :)

We have stuck to the jan. menu I posted and it had been wonderful...we have done really well sticking to the budget this month....hoping the motivation continues!!