Menu

help me find a book series for my daughter...age 12

I would love to get my daughter a set of books for Christmas. I was thinking the Wizard of Oz, but I can't seem to find the whole set on Amazon....unless I am just not looking correctly. Can someone either help me with that...or give me some other ideas. I have amazon prime, so that would be the best way to go...please help me with this.

OR give me a great title for an audio book that would be "girly"....I have some audio books for our whole family, but I would be good with a more girly title too...again amazon please.

Oh, she already has Polyyanna, Secret Garden, Annie of Green Gables. and the Little House series.

THANKS!!!!!

Some ideas:

- 4-book boxed set of Edward Eager magic books, plus Seven Day Magic (protagonists = boy & girl sibling sets

- 4 book boxed set Enchanted Forest Chronicles (girl protagonist)

- The Roman Mysteries Omnibus 1 = girl protagonist solves mysteries in Ancient Rome; first 3 books in the series bound together; Omnibus 2 = books 4-6; there are a total of 17

- Anne of Green Gables series -- either the 3-in-1 (first three books bound in one, which are the best), or the 8-book complete set (very girl protagonist books)

- set of books by Joan Aiken (The Wolves of Willoughby Chase, Blackhearts in Battersea, Nightbirds on Nantucket, The Witch of Clatteringshaws, etc.)

Instead of a series, how about a "pot-pourri" of girl-y books with girl protagonist:

- The Ordinary Princess

- Two are Better Than One

- Circus Sequins

- The Red Velvet Room

- Ella Enchanted

- The Wolves of Willoughby Chase

- Caddie Woodlawn

- A Little Princess

- Little Women

- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

- Tuck Everlasting

- The Princess Academy

- Beauty (McKinley)

I bought my Oz books from a company called Books of Wonder several years ago. I was just on their website. Can't remember what I paid but not $25 a book -- I bought them all in one go! The kindle has all the Oz books by Baum for free.

Another good author for that type of fiction is Edith Nesbit. We like the Children and It and The Phoenix and the Carpet alot. They are availiable with prime but once again free on the kindle.

My dd loved the Little Women books.

My DD13 just finished book 3 from the "My side of the mountain" series by Jean Craighead George. She loved this set. "my side of the mountain"; "far side of the mountain" and "Frightful's mountain" She devoured all 3 and has made demands that I find the remaining 2 books "Frightful's duaghter" and "Frightful's daught meets the Baron weasel"

I would love to get my daughter a set of books for Christmas. I was thinking the Wizard of Oz, but I can't seem to find the whole set on Amazon....unless I am just not looking correctly. Can someone either help me with that...or give me some other ideas. I have amazon prime, so that would be the best way to go...please help me with this.

OR give me a great title for an audio book that would be "girly"....I have some audio books for our whole family, but I would be good with a more girly title too...again amazon please.

Oh, she already has Polyyanna, Secret Garden, Annie of Green Gables. and the Little House series.

THANKS!!!!!

I haven given my daughter all of my favorite classics. However, her favorite series has been one she found on her own. The Mandie series, by Lois Leppard. There are about 10-12 volumes with 4 small books in each volume.

http://www.christianbook.com/the-mandie-collection-volumes-1-4/lois-leppard/pd/46X?event=CF

Not girlie books but if she hasn't read The Ranger's Apprentice series, all three of mine enjoy them. I do too! They are on Amazon and Prime, but I didn't see a set of all 10 you could just buy on prime. There is a set for books 1-8, prime, for about $65. Two more books to find.

My 15 yog and 12 yob enjoy The Brotherband Chronicles by the same author and all the books by Rick Riordan they have (which I think is all the ones published). Obviously not girlie books since my ds likes them as well. John Flanagan write about "rangers" and knights. Rick Riordan writes about Roman and Greek mythology set in modern times. (The gods are still around and having kids. The books are about their kids - demi-gods.)

THANKS!!!!!

I have an 11yo dd, who likes these books you mentioned.

She *loves* the Penderwick series. It is one of her favorites.

A Wrinkle in Time is now one of her favorite books too. She hasn't completed the series yet though.

For individual "girlie" titles, she also loves Little Women, Where the Mountain Meets the Moon, and The Willoughbys. The WIlloughbys is funny if you are familiar with the common themes of classic children's books.

In was going to say the Penderwicks. Also Betsy-Tacy. The first four books would be really easy for her but the next six would be great. And if she likes to read and likes series she might like reading the early ones anyway. The high school books are sold two books per volume by Amazon. So Heaven to Betsy, Betsy in Spite of Herself, Betsy was a Junior, Betsy and Joe, Betsy and the Great World, and Betsy's Wedding are all in three volumes.

In was going to say the Penderwicks. Also Betsy-Tacy. The first four books would be really easy for her but the next six would be great. And if she likes to read and likes series she might like reading the early ones anyway. The high school books are sold two books per volume by Amazon. So Heaven to Betsy, Betsy in Spite of Herself, Betsy was a Junior, Betsy and Joe, Betsy and the Great World, and Betsy's Wedding are all in three volumes.

Great idea! My dd loves those books too. I'm not sure how if she has read the final book yet, but she has loved all that she has read.

Did she like Anne of Green Gables series? If she did you can get her Emily of New Moon series by the same author.

My DD13 just finished book 3 from the "My side of the mountain" series by Jean Craighead George. She loved this set. "my side of the mountain"; "far side of the mountain" and "Frightful's mountain" She devoured all 3 and has made demands that I find the remaining 2 books "Frightful's duaghter" and "Frightful's daught meets the Baron weasel"

My ds loves these. I had no idea there were 2 more books.

The Borrowers. They might be a little young, but they're still interesting. :-)

There's always Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm and Chronicles of Rebecca.

The Blue Sword and The Hero and the Crown are quite good (one of those was a Newbery Award winner. I forget which one.)

Along the same line as Betsy-Tacy are the All-of-a-Kind Family books by Sydney Taylor

The Shoe books by Noel Streatfield (Not a classic "series" but a bunch of books called Ballet Shoes, Theater Shoes, Family shoes etc that are all similar.

Caddie Woodlawn (not a series, but sparked by the Little House on the Prairie)

Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan (has a few sequels)

My now-13 year old niece loved the Casson Family books by Hilary McKay

Saffy's Angel is the first book: http://www.amazon.com/Saffys-Angel-Hilary-McKay/dp/0689849346/ref=pd_sim_b_5

If she hasn't already read it I would go with the "Enchanted Forest" series. The protagnist for the first 3 books is female. The dragon King through most of the series is also female.

If you do buy from amazon the books in this box set are lovely. But the box they come in is disappointing. It's floppy cardboard and even a tiny bit to large for the four books.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Enchanted-Forest-Chronicles-Searching/dp/0152050523/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1355974428&sr=8-3&keywords=The+Enchanted+Forest

My daughter seconds the "Shoes" books and also suggests, maybe, the Dear America series.

If she liked The Secret Garden, has she read A Little Princess? And how far did she get with the Anne of Green Gables books? I think by the time you get to the third or fourth one, Anne is married. But there are a couple of good ones (as I recall) after the first. I never read the other series by the same author, but that might be a good bet, too.

What about Narnia?

A Wrinkle in Time is the first of a quartet, which might be good if you're looking for a set.

My daughter also wonders if she might like Vesper Holly? These aren't "classics," but they're fun, written by Lloyd Alexander (who also wrote the Prydain chronicles, which I thought of, too) and are about a girl archaeologist in the 1870s.

My favorite series at that age were:

The Wrinkle in Time series by Madeline L'Engle http://www.amazon.com/Wrinkle-Quintet-Swiftly-Tilting-Acceptable/dp/0312373511/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355976000&sr=1-1&keywords=madeline+l%27engle+books

When the Tripods Came by John Christopher http://www.amazon.com/Tripods-Boxed-Set-White-Mountains/dp/0689027737/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355975931&sr=1-1&keywords=Tripods+series

The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Rising-Boxed-Set-Greenwitch/dp/1416949968/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355976104&sr=1-1&keywords=the+dark+is+rising+sequence

(Sorry for the inelegant links--I'm on my iPad and can't do any fancy formatting. )

I think this was also the time when I read Narnia books over and over and got into The Lord of the Rings.

Hmmm...and apparently this was also the point where I became obsessed with fantasy novels. :D

Guardians of ga'hoole. By Kathryn lasky.

Roman mysteries by Caroline Lawrence.

Both longer series with lots of books and usually available in a box set. With the guardians of gahool its usually the first four books, Roman mysteries is normally in a larger box set of the first 10 books I think. My dd loves both series but they are probably more suited to a 12 year old.