Menu

If you are CC, why do you or don't you use a Bible curriculum?

I take teaching my children the Bible very seriously. We do Bible memory, devotions, catechism, and read from the Bible each day. Right now we are using the Golden Children's Bible, and we simply are reading a short passage and then discussing it. We begin each time by having someone narrate what we read the day before. We started in Genesis and are now in about Kings. I was pretty happy doing it this way.

Then, I looked at other pastures.

I started looking at Bible curriculum, and I wondered if I should be doing something like that.

It looks all colorful and shiny. But will my children learn more doing a Bible curriculum, instead of reading and discussing on our own as a family?

What are you doing? Why are you doing what you are doing?

My plan is to focus at least 90% on Bible and scripture memory work for our "Bible curriculum." I believe that God's Word has HUGE power in working in people's lives through the Holy Spirit, much more so than any curriculum will ever have. Right now with my 4.5 and 2.5 year olds we read both from the Bible and from storybook Bibles. Maybe when they're older we'll add in some other sources (there are a few I'm looking in to), but I highly doubt I will ever use a prepared Bible curriculum for them.

On a side note, I've been hearing lately about the Golden Children's Bible and am interested in hearing more about it. I looked through one the other day, though, and the pictures just drove me nuts. Jesus with blond hair and blue eyes? I love the content of the Bible, but I'm just not sure I can look past the pictures. Are there other editions with more accurate pictures?

We are Catholic and we use the Bible (right now a children's Catholic Bible, but I'll read the Advent readings from a "grown up" Bible), Saints stories, books by an author named Marigold Hunt (who basically retells the Bible in her own words - we are just about finished reading through the story of the Acts of the Apostles), and children's catechism materials (Faith & Life). The F&L is the closest to a "curriculum" we get. Other than them wanting to know the Bible and the stories of the saints, we use F&L to supplement what they do once a week at CCD.

My girls are nearly grown now, but I did try many different Bible curriculums over the years. Every time, they only got part way in before there was something that just drove me crazy about them. Plus, they just seemed like a lot of busy work. I always ended up back with just the Bible and a Bible story book, which is what I recommend to all my friends who ask now.

Lori, I absolutely *love* what you are doing. I wish I could do something similar, do it effectively, and stick with it. I find that I'm not a particularly creative person. I'm not someone who sticks with something unless there is a lot of structure. I just really need a lot of hand-holding and structure, so we do use Bible curriculum (a variety). I wrote a blog post about how resources can help Christian parents disciple their children here. I state there that YOU, as a parent, are the most important resource to disciple your children.

I think it's just my personality, but I find that outside resources help me be more effective and consistent with our Bible instruction. I explain some of the reason for this in my post. You are doing it so beautifully without other resources that I would encourage you to continue. You are doing it the way that I've always wanted to, I just can't seem to make that approach work for us.

I believe that God's Word has HUGE power in working in people's lives through the Holy Spirit, much more so than any curriculum will ever have.

I needed to be reminded of this. Thank you.

On a side note, I've been hearing lately about the Golden Children's Bible and am interested in hearing more about it. I looked through one the other day, though, and the pictures just drove me nuts. Jesus with blond hair and blue eyes? I love the content of the Bible, but I'm just not sure I can look past the pictures. Are there other editions with more accurate pictures?

Jesus is pictured as blonde, and I bought this new this past summer.

We are Catholic and we use the Bible (right now a children's Catholic Bible, but I'll read the Advent readings from a "grown up" Bible), Saints stories, books by an author named Marigold Hunt (who basically retells the Bible in her own words - we are just about finished reading through the story of the Acts of the Apostles), and children's catechism materials (Faith & Life). The F&L is the closest to a "curriculum" we get. Other than them wanting to know the Bible and the stories of the saints, we use F&L to supplement what they do once a week at CCD.

We are not Catholic, but I am looking for a book of the lives of Saints. Is there a compilation you use?

My girls are nearly grown now, but I did try many different Bible curriculums over the years. Every time, they only got part way in before there was something that just drove me crazy about them. Plus, they just seemed like a lot of busy work. I always ended up back with just the Bible and a Bible story book, which is what I recommend to all my friends who ask now.

I definitely don't to turn the Bible into busy work. I want to make sure what we are doing is age-appropriate and as meaty as possible. I just don't want to miss out on something that might make our discussions deeper either.

We used Bible Study Guide for All Ages for a little while when our dc were little; but as our dc got older, our Bible study morphed into hermeneutics study. They always had their individual Bible study which I wasn't involved in, but for our group time we got to the point that most of the Bible study books seemed very shallow to us. The herm books were much meatier and, a great byproduct, similar to WTM's method of study, esp the GB's.

Studying the Bible as literature was also fun. We used an old book by Richard Moulton. Another book I wish we had done much sooner and applied to Biblical language was Essential Literary Terms by Hamilton. After the kids had read the Bible through a couple of times, these kinds of books helped them dig even deeper and take a fresh look at something they were already familiar with.

What age do you think these types of books would be good for?

Lori, I absolutely *love* what you are doing. I wish I could do something similar, do it effectively, and stick with it. I find that I'm not a particularly creative person. I'm not someone who sticks with something unless there is a lot of structure. I just really need a lot of hand-holding and structure, so we do use Bible curriculum (a variety). I wrote a blog post about how resources can help Christian parents disciple their children here. I state there that YOU, as a parent, are the most important resource to disciple your children.

I think it's just my personality, but I find that outside resources help me be more effective and consistent with our Bible instruction. I explain some of the reason for this in my post. You are doing it so beautifully without other resources that I would encourage you to continue. You are doing it the way that I've always wanted to, I just can't seem to make that approach work for us.

I got side-tracked on your blog :001_smile: reading all these other posts. I really enjoyed it. I especially liked your posts about teaching children to pray. The Mission of Motherhood by Sally Clarkson definitely spoke to me early on as a mother and has shaped who I am and want to be. Thank you for your encouragement. As a sidenote, I am definitely NOT creative with our Bible study. We just read, narrate, discuss, and memorize.

Lori,

If what you are doing is meeting your goals for spiritual instruction, and it sounds like it is, I wouldn't for one second entertain searching for greener pastures.

I use curriculum because it works best here. My kids need hands on particularly to retain and it's easier for me to start with someone's idea and build than start from scratch for that sort of thing. That doesn't mean a different child wouldn't benefit more from your approach.

I think the most important thing you can do is get the Word in yourself first. Read from the scriptures every day, (not from a book talking about the scriptures), pray, and write down your thoughts in a journal. Then read the scriptures with your kids. Pause and explain what is happening, apply the principles to their life situations, and tell them frequently that you know for yourself it is the word of God and that you know God is real. That is depth; it begins with you. I find so many women wanting it spoon fed to them because they aren't confident that they can understand the scriptures on their own, but really it will never make much of an impact that way. Same for our kids. You/they/I have to put in the effort. I think what you are already doing is the most effective way, imo.

If what you're doing is working, I would not change it. There's always going to be something new and shiny, but it sounds like you have a good thing going, and as long as it's working for everyone, stick with it. If you get to the point where your older ones need something more, then look for something new.

But you amaze me all the time -- you get so much more done with your children than I could ever hope to accomplish with mine. I have no doubt that your reading and discussing the Bible with your children is producing significant fruit.

We just read the Bible and learn verses because I have never found a Bible curriculum that matches up with my beliefs. Every single thing I have seen is also extremely lame. :laugh:

If this is working for you, just stick with it. If it ain't broke, DON'T fix it!

Lori,

I asked myself the same question recently and came to the conclusion that all I needed to add to feel satisfied in the younger years was some bible reference books as we are reading and I think I want to try picture smart bible for wrapping up our chapters. Some of the books I am using are John MacArthurs Daily Bible, Life Application Bible, what the Bible is All About for Young Explorers, a kids Bible dictionary and concordance and who'swho book. I want to do Balancing the Sword for questions after each chapter. They keep an ACTS prayer journal now but I would like to add a sketch notebook for their own drawings or notes. So the plan is to do a long book intro before starting a book using various resources, then read the daily readings with questions and discussions and close with the picture smart Bible lesson at the end of each book. I hope to cover the whole Bible in three years this way. We also do catechism and memory work. My kids will do VP's Bible studies but they will be done independently in the summer as an independent school subject during the day but our Bible study time as I,ve described is at night.

Lori, If what you are doing is meeting your goals for spiritual instruction, and it sounds like it is, I wouldn't for one second entertain searching for greener pastures. I use curriculum because it works best here. My kids need hands on particularly to retain and it's easier for me to start with someone's idea and build than start from scratch for that sort of thing. That doesn't mean a different child wouldn't benefit more from your approach.

Thank you for this encouragement.

I think the most important thing you can do is get the Word in yourself first. Read from the scriptures every day, (not from a book talking about the scriptures), pray, and write down your thoughts in a journal. Then read the scriptures with your kids. Pause and explain what is happening, apply the principles to their life situations, and tell them frequently that you know for yourself it is the word of God and that you know God is real. That is depth; it begins with you. I find so many women wanting it spoon fed to them because they aren't confident that they can understand the scriptures on their own, but really it will never make much of an impact that way. Same for our kids. You/they/I have to put in the effort. I think what you are already doing is the most effective way, imo.

Thank you. This really speaks to me and resonates with me.

If what you're doing is working, I would not change it. There's always going to be something new and shiny, but it sounds like you have a good thing going, and as long as it's working for everyone, stick with it. If you get to the point where your older ones need something more, then look for something new. But you amaze me all the time -- you get so much more done with your children than I could ever hope to accomplish with mine. I have no doubt that your reading and discussing the Bible with your children is producing significant fruit.

You are so sweet. Honestly, I think people have a false impression of what we get done around here, but I am thankful for your encouragement and your friendship.

mid-teens maybe? Essential Literary Terms is recommended in WTM for high school years.

Thanks. We have a while to go on that then!

If this is working for you, just stick with it. If it ain't broke, DON'T fix it!

Good reminder!

Lori, I asked myself the same question recently and came to the conclusion that all I needed to add to feel satisfied in the younger years was some bible reference books as we are reading and I think I want to try picture smart bible for wrapping up our chapters. Some of the books I am using are John MacArthurs Daily Bible, Life Application Bible, what the Bible is All About for Young Explorers, a kids Bible dictionary and concordance and who'swho book. I want to do Balancing the Sword for questions after each chapter. They keep an ACTS prayer journal now but I would like to add a sketch notebook for their own drawings or notes. So the plan is to do a long book intro before starting a book using various resources, then read the daily readings with questions and discussions and close with the picture smart Bible lesson at the end of each book. I hope to cover the whole Bible in three years this way. We also do catechism and memory work. My kids will do VP's Bible studies but they will be done independently in the summer as an independent school subject during the day but our Bible study time as I,ve described is at night.

I love that you arrived at what works for your family and are happy with it. I was also considering VP Bible because I think we are going to do VP history next year and I wasn't sure how much the two coincided with each other.

20 yrs I have been homeschooling and have not found a good Bible curriculum...I have tried, really really tried. They all fall short in so many ways. I gave up on finding an actual Bible Curriculum that works. The best thing we have done so far was reading the Bible passages SL gave and then we would use a commentary, Bible Dictionary, and other reference tool to study the passage. This year we studied the names of Jesus, looking up the different verses and discussing what the names mean, memorizing and making a book with each verse and drawing a picture to go with each verse.

I am in the process of reading The Biblical Home Education by Ruth Beechick and am working on implementing some of her ideas through out the different subjects so Bible is not just a Subject but have it be a part of our entire day. I am reading How to Study Your Bible by Kay Arthur so that I may learn and then teach my children (dd is going to go through the children's version) then we will begin a study of the Bible.

20 yrs I have been homeschooling and have not found a good Bible curriculum...I have tried, really really tried. They all fall short in so many ways. I gave up on finding an actual Bible Curriculum that works. The best thing we have done so far was reading the Bible passages SL gave and then we would use a commentary, Bible Dictionary, and other reference tool to study the passage. This year we studied the names of Jesus, looking up the different verses and discussing what the names mean, memorizing and making a book with each verse and drawing a picture to go with each verse.

I am in the process of reading The Biblical Home Education by Ruth Beechick and am working on implementing some of her ideas through out the different subjects so Bible is not just a Subject but have it be a part of our entire day. I am reading How to Study Your Bible by Kay Arthur so that I may learn and then teach my children (dd is going to go through the children's version) then we will begin a study of the Bible.

I am not familiar with the Beechick book. I'll have to look into it! Thanks.

I take teaching my children the Bible very seriously. We do Bible memory, devotions, catechism, and read from the Bible each day. Right now we are using the Golden Children's Bible, and we simply are reading a short passage and then discussing it. We begin each time by having someone narrate what we read the day before. We started in Genesis and are now in about Kings. I was pretty happy doing it this way.

Then, I looked at other pastures.

I started looking at Bible curriculum, and I wondered if I should be doing something like that.

It looks all colorful and shiny. But will my children learn more doing a Bible curriculum, instead of reading and discussing on our own as a family?

I don't use it because there really isn't one out there that fits our beliefs. Orthodoxy has so much teaching in it on it's own that the children get it through a variety of means, but not an official "curricula".

We do something very similar to the OP, reading passages and discussing, along with some memorization. We went through the Golden Children's Bible last year, and are reading the KJV New Testament this year. The kids know the stories so the language isn't a problem. Well, mostly it isn't. We're reading Paul's Epistles right now and sometimes even I can't figure out what he is getting at. Occasionally I look for commentary on a passage, but mostly we just discuss what we can and move on. I figure studying this way is closer to what I expect my children to do for the rest of their lives, so it's a good habit to get into. I would like to do some topical studies at some point as well--again, the kind of study I do on my own and want to model for them. In my mind using a standard curriculum could turn Bible study into just another school topic. That's not how I want my children to experience it.

Lori,

We do what you are doing already (which I think is the most important part). We also do Rod and Staff Bible.

We love Rod and Staff Bible (Reading). It is chronological, and the reading level increases in difficulty from the OT to the NT. The TE has helpful notes for leading a discussion, which I do sometimes. My children read the stories, then complete the workbook on their own. I do not believe in busywork, so I am always guarding against it. I have been astounded what my eldest DD has retained from her OT work in R&S (battles, kings, bloodlines, geography, etc.). This is in addition to what we have taught her, and we are a family immersed in the Bible.

I start around grade 2. They work through it at a comfortable pace because I am most interested in what they retain, not how fast they complete it. It's also nice that this is something they can do on their own if I do not have time to discuss it with them before their lesson.

While I do not think it is necessary, for us it is foundational and answers of those "What is one of your favorite curricula that you started with and would not change?" questions.

I don't use it because there really isn't one out there that fits our beliefs. Orthodoxy has so much teaching in it on its own that the children get it through a variety of means, but not an official "curricula".

Ah, but see, "curriculum" doesn't mean "that stack of books over there." It doesn't mean R&S's Bible materials. It doesn't mean Precept Ministry's children's studies, or BJUP's Bible materials or anything else. It means "the courses offered by an institution of education." Orthodoxy's teachings would be your "curriculum." Anything you use to help teach your children would be "instructional materials." IOW, you already have a "curriculum." :-)

We've done what you are doing, we've done a curriculum, we've done a lot in between. The study of our faith is foundational in our home. However, what we do from week to week, season to season, year to year can vary widely.

We are loosly following MP's Xian Studies IV this year. We are reading through the Bible as we go.

Ah, but see, "curriculum" doesn't mean "that stack of books over there." It doesn't mean R&S's Bible materials. It doesn't mean Precept Ministry's children's studies, or BJUP's Bible materials or anything else. It means "the courses offered by an institution of education." Orthodoxy's teachings would be your "curriculum." Anything you use to help teach your children would be "instructional materials." IOW, you already have a "curriculum." :-)

:iagree: This. You DO have a curriculum. The best curriclum is the one that gets used. Yes, there is cool stuff out there. And at some point, as your kids hit a point, or you hit a point, where you want something that challenges you in a different way, it might be time to check it out. In the meantime, are your kids learning and gowing? Are you?

Just because a curriculum is awesome does not mean one needs to use it to be a successful homeschooler.

:iagree: It seems like the quote in your sig line answered your own question. :)

Without reading all of the replies... I don't think curriculum as much as study is the issue. A systematic approach that takes you deeper is great, curricula is simply how you accomplish your goal. I do think deep study is necessary and just reading the Bible is not enough. It has a time and place but as for bible study more is needed. I wrote a blog post about this topic of the role of the Bible in a Christian home if anyone is interested. http://onemagnificentobsession.blogspot.com/2012/10/the-role-of-bible-in-christian-home.html?m=1