Menu

where are you in SOTW2? and/or where will you be by the New Year?

We picked SOTW up a bit late this year, and because we've interleaved our history with Ambleside Online Year 2 we've been relaxed in our pace. Could you tell me where you are in SOTW2, and when you expect to finish it? (we're halfway through chapter 8, "Islam Becomes an Empire". It actualy lines up quite nicely with our AO right now ...)

:) thanks!

Well, I will tell you where we are in SOTW1 this year: We will start chp. 13 this week. I hope to get through 14 next week, and that will be it for 2012.

My dream would be to finish a yr of SOTW in the Aug-May/June time frame, but it never happens. We keep it up some over June and July each year during our short break, but then we pick it back up in Aug. and Sept finishing the year before's volume. Then we always start our new volume mid Sept. Happens every year. :)

We jump around, because we do History Odyssey, and we move at double speed, but we also add in extra things (such as the Hands of a Child early America note pack and do plenty of reading, not so many projects). We started in August, and will finish just before Christmas, working at it every other week. He gets a lot of extra repetition, because he enjoys listening to the audio in the car as well.

We'll cover modern history from Jan--July. (Sorry, just realized you asked about 2, and I am talking about 3...but we did 1&2 on the same schedule last year, though we did more projects).

This will allow us to start logic stage ancients at ~10 years old.

One nice thing about SOTW is the ease of pacing it however you need to in order to fit your situation. My son has had great retention at this pace because he was older when we started, and we include so much literature, fun stuff like Horrible Histories, movies like 1776 that make the characters memorable, act things out, etc. we have memorized a few things to help put world events in order and relate them to one another... English Kings, Roman, Greek, and Norse gods, geography, and the like, without going nuts with memory work. However, I can see, with the wealth of literature and fun books available, not to mention field trips, how you could head the other direction and stretch SOTW out through ten years old even if you started in first or kindergarten, quite easily.

I care more about my kids enjoying history and seeing why we care (and finding history in their books and movies, "in disguise" and feeling happy about being in on the joke) than I do about them being walking historians at this age. With one in logic stage (moving more slowly) and one finishing grammar stage, we are now at the point where they read to seek answers to good questions... Why did this king do this, why did the colonists act like that? Logic stage is, for us, a great time to slow down and dive on into individual questions!

Sorry for rambling... I really digressed!

We started SOTW 2 in the summer, but then stopped because our house was on the market and it was not as fun to do the activities from the guide (difficult to keep starting and stopping with showings). But now we are started again this weekend WITH adding in Project Passports. I am so excited!! My husband is going to do the PP on weekends with the girls and I will do SOTW during the week. My girls love history - but they especially love the activities with it! We should be done with SOTW by the end of the school year in June.

We are working on Chapter 11 this week (it's week 14 of school for us). We did a two week Election Unit and I was on Jury Duty last week, so we are a few weeks behind where I had planned to be at this point. We will probably double up a few of our chapters starting in the New Year to be finished the end of June.

Jodie

Okay, finally got back to this: thank you, everybody! This is giving me a feel for how the SOTW school year progresses in Real Life. Thanks also for the encouragement, and the feedback about what you are liking in addition to SOTW.

FairProspects, and StephG -- are you by any chance on a January start? just wondering ... I've been thinking about January-starting us, but not really in a focused way (and not this January!)

momsuz123 -- which are the Project Passports you are using? couldn't find it on the blog or on Google ...

Thought I'd throw up links for anybody following this thread & interested:

Pandia Press' History Odyssey program, cited by NittanyJen above, is esp. hot with the Logic folks (well, hot as anything can be -- nothing is universally popular!) Another good supplement to SOTW is CHOLL, a free schedule for literature. Some use HO and CHOLL, but that's apparently a lot to do.

Related but not mentioned above: K12's Human Odyssey books: here's volume 1, there are 3 volumes. Roughly prehistory - 1400, 1400 - 1914, early 20th - contemporary times. This is a terrific history spine for Logic.

Hands of a Child makes various notebooking and lapbooking units; their note packs are designed to be ready-to-go notebooking units: I think this is the Early America onementioned above.

Here are Horrible Histories.

momsuz123's blog has a SOTW page with a largely-chronological "You Wouldn't Want to be ... " list: hurrah! I've been looking for something like this!!!

Okay, finally got back to this: thank you, everybody! This is giving me a feel for how the SOTW school year progresses in Real Life. Thanks also for the encouragement, and the feedback about what you are liking in addition to SOTW.

FairProspects, and StephG -- are you by any chance on a January start? just wondering ... I've been thinking about January-starting us, but not really in a focused way (and not this January!)

momsuz123 -- which are the Project Passports you are using? couldn't find it on the blog or on Google ...

Thought I'd throw up links for anybody following this thread & interested:

Pandia Press' History Odyssey program, cited by NittanyJen above, is esp. hot with the Logic folks (well, hot as anything can be -- nothing is universally popular!) Another good supplement to SOTW is CHOLL, a free schedule for literature. Some use HO and CHOLL, but that's apparently a lot to do.

Related but not mentioned above: K12's Human Odyssey books: here's volume 1, there are 3 volumes. Roughly prehistory - 1400, 1400 - 1914, early 20th - contemporary times. This is a terrific history spine for Logic.

Hands of a Child makes various notebooking and lapbooking units; their note packs are designed to be ready-to-go notebooking units: I think this is the Early America onementioned above.

Here are Horrible Histories.

momsuz123's blog has a SOTW page with a largely-chronological "You Wouldn't Want to be ... " list: hurrah! I've been looking for something like this!!!

Wow, thanks for all the links!

We, in fact, use K12's History Odyssey as an adjunct to Level 2 History Odyssey for logic stage kiddo.

We're finishing up chapter 19 - (A New Kind of King) and starting 20 - (The Diaspora) on Friday. We don't stay on a strict schedule, but spend just two days on one chapter.

We go on Christmas vacation soon, but I'm seeing SOTW 2:23 - The First Russians scheduled for the first week of January 2013. According to my online scheduler, I'm seeing sometime in April as a finish to SOTW2, but we might stretch it out until May.

We're finishing up chapter 19 - (A New Kind of King) and starting 20 - (The Diaspora) on Friday. We don't stay on a strict schedule, but spend just two days on one chapter.

We go on Christmas vacation soon, but I'm seeing SOTW 2:23 - The First Russians scheduled for the first week of January 2013. According to my online scheduler, I'm seeing sometime in April as a finish to SOTW2, but we might stretch it out until May.

We are about where you are in SOTW2. Any good books you have planned as supplements for upcoming chapters? We really enjoyed the additional reading recommendations on your blog for SOTW1.

We picked SOTW up a bit late this year, and because we've interleaved our history with Ambleside Online Year 2 we've been relaxed in our pace. Could you tell me where you are in SOTW2, and when you expect to finish it? (we're halfway through chapter 8, "Islam Becomes an Empire". It actualy lines up quite nicely with our AO right now ...)

:) thanks!

We are right where you're at. I aim to read 4 sections a week. We should be done in about 20 weeks. I read one section from SOTW2 and one chapter from Our Island Story, four times a week.

We will finish Ch. 20 this week (started in August) I'm trying not to let this move too fast because I think it gets absorbed better if we have time to read some of the outside literature and play the games (although we don't do many of the projects any more). We are also doing the lapbook and I made a timeline - we do both of these as review every few weeks. I expect to finish in May.

We have finished Chapter 22. I stay 'on track' (to finish one level per school year) largely due to co-op class that sets the schedule! Not that I couldn't do it on my own, but I always rise to the challenge of outside accountability. I don't love the co-op class (not as many hands-on projects as were 'advertised'), but they do timeline, map work, and round-robin narrations of the chapters each week. Probably the thing I like best about it is that the teacher assigns one child per week, roughly per chapter, to be the 'expert' and s/he has to share some sort of in-depth knowledge of the topic with the class. Also, each semester the kids do one research project/presentation on a tri-fold board to the class. This semester, my daughter's expert presentation was on Charlemagne and her research project was on the Robin Hood legend.

We also tie-in literature to our history study. Her favorite read-alouds have been Adam of the Road and this re-telling of Canterbury Tales: http://www.amazon.com/Chancers-Canterbury-Retold-Illustrated-Williams/dp/0763631973/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355488086&sr=1-1-fkmr2&keywords=canterbury+tales+retelling+for+kids, accompanied by this audio of Canterbury Tales: http://www.amazon.com/Canterbury-Tales-Classic-Literature-Classical/dp/9626342560/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355488189&sr=1-4&keywords=naxos+audio+canterbury+tales. She has enjoyed that audio so much that I may order Vol. 1 & 3. We've enjoyed listening over lunch and then lingering at the table playing with legos and finishing the stories. If I get distracted (loading the dishwasher or wiping sticky hands, for instance), she can always catch me up with a quick summary of what I missed. I sometimes do that on purpose to hear her 'version' of events. The audio is not specifically meant for children, so the language is a bit more difficult to follow. It helps that we have listened to tales with which she is already familiar.

Since Marcia Williams also has adaptations for Tales from Shakespeare, I think we'll follow the same approach when we get near the introduction of the Bard later in the school year. I have many more Shakespeare resources to tap, however, so we may get 'stuck' there for weeks! :drool5:

We are on chapter 14... we are using it out of order with HO MA level 1....loosely, because that is how I roll. I used it with AO and it took 6 years ( perfect if you ask me) for my last bunch of kids. We took it slow and a bit willy nilly.....but, it was a good pace. We are now in our 2 nd go round with SOTW and it looks like it should take us another 6 to get through.....with my dss finishing up as they finish 6&8th grades.....for us, it is more about the journey....and spending some time in each chapter....and focusing on the extra books and literature.

Faithe