Menu

My dog has gas that brings tears to your eyes

Jean in Newcastle

My Dane used to clear a room about once a year. I have no idea if this is effective or if he just passed the stage himself, but I'd carefully peel garlic cloves to no nick the skin (no flavor), rub them in butter, and pop them down his throat whole. Then it a few hours of "teargas" gas, and then he'd be fine. Worked every time, but it certainly wasn't a controlled, double blind study.

I have to be careful about dog food because of this. My pug has a bad reaction to barley that will have him clear a room and bring tears to your eyes in no time flat. Usually when it pops up it's because the formula of the food has changed. The manufacturers don't always let you know.

You might want to get him screened at the vet. My older dog was like that for the past year or so and he was just diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. He had something come up with the routine blood work that led them to look further. If the blood comes back normal than he should be ok. My dog's diet hadn't changed but the gas is nasty bad and frequent. When I found he had cancer I looked up symptoms to see what I'd missed and the foul gas was mentioned.

Gosh. I am thinking she ate something bad outside and it wants out.

Otherwise, I'd follow Kalanamak's suggestion. Seems easy enough to try the garlic.

You can wrap in in a slice of bread to hide it.

Let us know if it works - if you have not passed out by then. :laugh:

Has he been getting less activity as it gets colder? That can slow down digestion and cause, er, issues.

He has been inside more. That could mean he's getting less activity or it could mean that perhaps he was gassy before but I didn't know because he was outside. But it isn't like he was never in before and he wasn't having gas so I think the gas is a new problem even though I couldn't prove it.

Guest inoubliable

Add this to the looooooong list of reasons I don't have a pet.

:D

This. My sister's dog can clear a room. Blech! Their vet gave them something...some drops, I think it was. To put in Tasha's food. Might want to google around or ask your vet?

Is it a Boston Terrier? They're known for clearing a room. :D

Has he gotten into something outside in your yard? If my dog suddenly has gas, she's usually eaten something better left alone, like the remainder of a bird that my cat decided was unfit to eat. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: That would be my guess, found something "tasty" to eat.

No suggestions. Maybe it will make you feel better to know that yesterday one of my dogs ate my other (older, incontinent) dog's poop while we were out. I could tell because he left "poop crumbs" behind. After I cleaned up, washed the entire floor, and fed him, he sat beside me, stared at me until I looked at him, and then burped right in my face. I could smell both dog food and poop on his breath. It was lovely. :ack2:

No suggestions. Maybe it will make you feel better to know that yesterday one of my dogs ate my other (older, incontinent) dog's poop while we were out. I could tell because he left "poop crumbs" behind. After I cleaned up, washed the entire floor, and fed him, he sat beside me, stared at me until I looked at him, and then burped right in my face. I could smell both dog food and poop on his breath. It was lovely. :ack2:

:smilielol5:

I hate to ask this but is it possible he has parasites? They do cause gas, I had an old lab that just couldn't seem to keep from getting into things it shouldn't. You could try some canned pumpkin on his food (a couple of spoonfuls). That was my first thought...we live in the country, so now I give Drontal twice a year.

Also, could they just be nervous or upset about something?

My newf is a worrier...he gets sick on any schedule change; my akita just likes to copy the other guilty parties in the room.

I have one like that. It's awful when the breath smells worse than the other end...

To OP - is your dog scooting and excessively licking his rear? Does he need his glands cleaned? That produces the most disgusting stench known to man.