Menu

Crossing the Tiber - The Master Thread

Parrothead

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah.

My parents baptized my sister and I because my mother was raised Catholic, not because they intended to raise us in the faith.

I don't want to make anyone on here feel bad by not picking them :(

Ah, we are all grown ups and know there is a limit to the number of sponsors someone can have. And honestly no one would have to know. Keep it to PM.

Has there been anyone who has been especially helpful or who has touched you in a meaningful way with a story or insight?

Maybe it is just someone you feel a connection to.

Ask your Priest to find you someone. My sponsor/Godmother is the church receptionist and I love her awful. :D We've gotten to know eachother over lunches.

I have a feeling he would suggest Sister since she already offered. She is a very sweet woman, but I feel I would have to take her guidance with a grain of salt as she leans towards the liberal side of things.

Parrothead your comment was the relief I needed over all the drama recently. I just had a vision of the great Hive Wars :boxing_smiley: breaking out over who would get to be Elizabeth's sponsor :smilielol5: .

Elizabeth, how far away are you from your confirmation? Maybe as you get to know more people in the parish you'll find someone you'd feel comfortable with?

:rofl:

I have two (maybe three) RCIA classes before I will be able to be confirmed. So, sometime towards the end of January or beginning of February.

I still have time.

Good idea :)

Parrothead your comment was the relief I needed over all the drama recently. I just had a vision of the great Hive Wars :boxing_smiley: breaking out over who would get to be Elizabeth's sponsor :smilielol5: .

Elizabeth, how far away are you from your confirmation? Maybe as you get to know more people in the parish you'll find someone you'd feel comfortable with?

Talk about the Who's a Better Catholic wars. Can you imagine? :smilielol5:

:rofl:

I have two (maybe three) RCIA classes before I will be able to be confirmed. So, sometime towards the end of January or beginning of February.

I still have time.

Good idea :)

If you do end up picking a proxy sponsor, remember that the sponsor will need to get a letter from his/her parish letting your parish know he/she is in good standing and able to fulfill the obligation as sponsor.

I'm not sure why I felt the need to explain all that. It seemed pertinent at the time. I hope I didn't overwhelm you with information when I could have easily stuck with, "It varies."

Thank you for your reply, Chucki! As I've said, I've learned a lot on this thread. :)

How often do Catholics go to confession (after confirmation) when actively practicing the faith? Just curious!

When I was young, we were taught once a week, preference was on Sat nite so you would be prepared to receive the Eucharist on Sunday morning. I've been hearing on the Catholic radio that you have to at the very least go once a year. It must have changed.

Tonight at mass I found the Virgen! She was at the other church, surrounded by the most beautiful flowers and lit candles. Dh couldnt make it tonight, he had to work. Everything was done very reverently and with decorum. I felt like I was home. Adult confirmation starts in January...I'll just start up from the beginning then.

You're still encouraged to go frequently. Like the rest of the crisis of catechism the idea that one should confess when one is in mortal sin or at least once a year has kind of disappeared. Now many parishes don't even have a weekly confession scheduled. :(

That is not true for our diocese. Every parish I have visited here seems to have one or two scheduled times for confession every week, and often the words "or anytime by appointment". And yes, you are still supposed to confess when in serious sin. You should abstain from the Eucharist unless you are in a state of grace. The "once a year" is a very bare minimum. No priest I know would advise going to confession only once a year. The sacrament gives grace to live as Christ wants us to, to become more like Him. Going frequently is a good thing! You don't have to wait until you've become completely mud-encrusted or fallen into a pit of sewer water to bathe.

Yeah, around here most suburban parishes have confession by appointment only and "communal" :confused1: confession a couple of times a year during Lent & Advent.

Is the communal confession a penance service? We have those during Advent and Lent, with several priests available for private confessions.

The Catholic Church isn't legalistic by any means. You may find individual pockets of people that are a bit scrupulous here and there. But they are not in any way the majority, and are easily ignored.

So, though legalistic people like that are in *any* church (wheat and tares are everywhere!), there is, like ltlmrs said, a live and let live attitude within the church because these are not salvation issues. I have not encountered ANY of that in my parish. (((hugs))) for her. And, the Vatican has given a thumbs up to Harry Potter.

Just to clarify: scrupulosity refers to unwarranted guilt that some people feel about their own behavior. And legalism, as the term is used by Catholics, has to do with thinking only about the letter of the law while neglecting its spirit, as with the passers-by in the story of the Good Samaritan. Neither of these is about telling another person, "you are sinning because you do such-and-such," which is a sort of language we don't even have a word for, AFAIK (it's outside my experience as a Catholic, and if someone walked up to me and said that, I'd figure they either were the next Padre Pio or needed their meds adjusted :huh: ).

I say this just in case newcomers might get the impression that the Church teaches that it's scrupulous or legalistic to avoid the Harry Potter series for one's own family, or even to express an opinion against it, in an appropriate context and tone (e.g., not screaming, or writing posts in all caps with strings of exclamation points, or tackling someone after Mass and shoving a cassette tape up his nose ;)). In truth, there are some strong differences of opinion on the subject. Several prominent Catholics have spoken out to recommend staying away from the books and movies altogether, including the chief exorcist of the Rome diocese, Fr. Amorth; the novelist and artist Michael O'Brien; and Johnnette Benkovic. In addition, Cardinal Ratzinger, not long before becoming pope, wrote a letter of encouragement to the author of a German book against Harry Potter. Steve Wood's site has links to several articles related to the above.

On the other side, Opus Dei's magazine ran a piece in favor of the stories, as did the National Catholic Register when it was run by the Legion of Christ. And there's the one that was posted here, from L'Osservatore Romano -- which, while it's affiliated with the Vatican, doesn't carry any magisterial authority (although the non-Catholic media tends to conveniently forget this when they're quoting them).

So this isn't a "Catholicism 101" question. We have to weigh the evidence, and let our informed consciences guide us as to whether or not these things are wholesome for our children.

My feeling is that if anything, some Catholics tend to go overboard with their enthusiasm for them, in a way that could give scandal... e.g., having children recite "magic spells" as a homeschool activity. :blink: I don't really get this. With all the books out there, why get fixated on these?

I figure that my children will likely end up reading them at some point, when they're older, even if only so that they can understand the references that others make (Touchstone magazine had an essay on this recently, calling HP the Star Wars of today's young people). But from what I've seen, there's no comparison to Tolkien or other Christian classics, either from a moral or a literary perspective.

I personally think that the reason Harry Potter was seen as so dangerous is because American Catholicism is so influenced by the Conservative Christian right in our country; I mean mainly fundamentalism. I think if Tolkien and Lewis had written books in this same atmosphere they would have been condemned strongly too. I don't say Harry Potter is of the same caliber of literary value as Tolkien and Lewis, but the reason people condemned HP was because of the magic in it. People got absolutely ridiculous about it. I remember one woman, a supposedly devout Catholic ripping into my daughter, and literally screaming that J.K. Rowling was a witch! This was at the height of the frenzy. Some of the behavior was absurd, stupid and unChristian. Really, there was a witch hunt mentality that just was over the top. Now people seem more rational about it. Some just have the willies because of all the hoopla, or they simply prefer to steer clear of that sort of thing, but many good Catholic people enjoy the books and see them as archetypal stories of good and evil which teach basic Christian values, using the vehicle of a school for wizards as the construct. It really is quite a traditional tale.

On the other hand those books by Philip Pullman are truly evil! He really was/is trying to twist universal truths and get children to not believe in God! While there was some reaction, it was never, ever at the level of Harry Potter. He is considered to be a better literary writer so he can get away with more I think. But also, I think people were so obsessed with HP, they had burned themselves out when a real threat came along.

I personally think that the reason Harry Potter was seen as so dangerous is because American Catholicism is so influenced by the Conservative Christian right in our country; I mean mainly fundamentalism. I think if Tolkien and Lewis had written books in this same atmosphere they would have been condemned strongly too. I don't say Harry Potter is of the same caliber of literary value as Tolkien and Lewis, but the reason people condemned HP was because of the magic in it. People got absolutely ridiculous about it. I remember one woman, a supposedly devout Catholic ripping into my daughter, and literally screaming that J.K. Rowling was a witch! This was at the height of the frenzy. Some of the behavior was absurd, stupid and unChristian. Really, there was a witch hunt mentality that just was over the top. Now people seem more rational about it. Some just have the willies because of all the hoopla, or they simply prefer to steer clear of that sort of thing, but many good Catholic people enjoy the books and see them as archetypal stories of good and evil which teach basic Christian values, using the vehicle of a school for wizards as the construct. It really is quite a traditional tale.

On the other hand those books by Philip Pullman are truly evil! He really was/is trying to twist universal truths and get children to not believe in God! While there was some reaction, it was never, ever at the level of Harry Potter. He is considered to be a better literary writer so he can get away with more I think. But also, I think people were so obsessed with HP, they had burned themselves out when a real threat came along.

I agree with you about Pullman's books.

So, we visited the Cathedral last night and it was gorgeous. The music was nice. I honestly can't remember the last church we attended that still used a hymnal, so that was awesome. The Father that led the service Saturday night was a bit difficult to follow, though. He had an extremely thick accent and it was hard for me to understand and pretty much impossible for dds. So, that made things even more confusing since it was our first time. The good thing is that everyone wants to go again, but this time to the small parish close to our house. Older dd seemed really interested in learning why they do certain things and when we would learn how/why to do them.

That is not true for our diocese. Every parish I have visited here seems to have one or two scheduled times for confession every week, and often the words "or anytime by appointment". And yes, you are still supposed to confess when in serious sin. You should abstain from the Eucharist unless you are in a state of grace. The "once a year" is a very bare minimum. No priest I know would advise going to confession only once a year. The sacrament gives grace to live as Christ wants us to, to become more like Him. Going frequently is a good thing! You don't have to wait until you've become completely mud-encrusted or fallen into a pit of sewer water to bathe.

:iagree: Totally. While it may not be common any more to have lines outside the church and down the block on Saturday afternoon, people still go with some consistency. Personally I try to shoot for once a month. But there are some months I don't leave the house much. So it is hard to get into trouble.

I"ll probably be going to day though. :hurray:

Yeah, around here most suburban parishes have confession by appointment only and "communal" :confused1: confession a couple of times a year during Lent & Advent. I actually met a protestant one time who turned out to be a fallen away Catholic. She told me that the Catholic Church must not be as timeless as she had taught because when she was a little girl confession was expected every Saturday but now the Church doesn't even offer confession because somehow it got erased from being a requirement during Vatican II. She was shocked when I explained to her that the Church still teaches the same things about confession as it always had and that if the priest does not offer regular scheduled confession he is wrong. And this was in a fairly conservative diocese too.

Is the communal confession a penance service? We have those during Advent and Lent, with several priests available for private confessions.

And one still must go to Reconciliation the old fashioned way after the penance service. A penance service won't absolve one of sins.

I have mixed feelings about these services. So many people just leave after them thinking they are good to go.

So, we visited the Cathedral last night and it was gorgeous. The music was nice. I honestly can't remember the last church we attended that still used a hymnal, so that was awesome. The Father that led the service Saturday night was a bit difficult to follow, though. He had an extremely thick accent and it was hard for me to understand and pretty much impossible for dds. So, that made things even more confusing since it was our first time. The good thing is that everyone wants to go again, but this time to the small parish close to our house. Older dd seemed really interested in learning why they do certain things and when we would learn how/why to do them.

When we were members at the cathedral near us, there were five priests. See if they publish which priest will celebrate which mass. Some parishes have set schedules, some post weekly and some you just don't know until mass begins. Of course, you should definitely give the parish closest to you a try as well.

I personally think that the reason Harry Potter was seen as so dangerous is because American Catholicism is so influenced by the Conservative Christian right in our country; I mean mainly fundamentalism.

I'm not seeing this, though, given that Fr. Amorth, and the German woman who wrote the book recommended by Cardinal Ratzinger, are European. And the priest/exorcist interviewed by Johnnette Benkovic was Mexican. And Michael O'Brien is a Canadian artist, and if you read his writings on children's literature (e.g. here), he's not against the fantasy genre overall; he gives specific reasons for objecting to certain books. (And yes, he does say that Pullman is much worse.)

It just seems to be the case that Catholics around the world, from bishops to lay people, have different points of view on this. And there seem to be some reasonable and some foaming-at-the-mouth people on both sides. It's amazing the vitriol that some supposedly Christian Rowling fans have directed at O'Brien, for instance. I think certain sorts of people are just inclined to get emotionally overwrought about things, especially when children are involved.

I think this must be what they mean, though it's not something I've done myself. It's an Eastern European Christmas custom: http://en.wikipedia....Christmas_wafer

On a different note, December 16th is the historical feast of St. Adelaide in the Western calendar, though it won't have official recognition in the Sunday liturgy. She lived in the 10th century, and as Holy Roman Empress regent, was both devout and politically important.

"She had constantly devoted herself to the service of the church and peace, and to the empire as guardian of both; she also interested herself in the conversion of the Slavs. She was thus a principal agent—almost an embodiment—of the work of the Catholic Church during the Early Middle Ages in the construction of the religion-culture of western Europe."

She's also considered a patron of parents of large families, parents in general, and people with in-law problems. :) And since she died on December 16, 999, she could well have lived in the midst of an atmosphere of apocalyptic expectations. This makes her especially interesting for our time, I think.

St. Adelaide, pray for us!

Funny story. About 2 Advents ago I went to our penance service then to a visiting priest's station so I could receive penance and absolution. The priest was from Quebec and heavily accented. I didn't understand a word he said in English. I was given absolution and penance, walked out of the chapel and just stopped. Someone else had gone in when I left. I stopped because I realized I had absolutely no idea what he wanted me to do for penance.

I had to go back the next day and speak with Father about it and confess my intention to not do assigned penance.

That is fantastic!

In the bulletin this week there is an offer for oplateck (sp?) and a very brief explanation. Can anyone elaborate on this for me?

Its a custom frm central europe, whereby we remember Christ's sacrifice. The wafers (oplatki) are identical to communion wafers. We serve them wih honey to begin our Christmas Eve meal. The "bitterness" of the wafer also is a reference to life's bitterness in contrast with the honey being the sweetness of Christ's sacrifice. We are slovak so each culture may handle it differently but the oplatki is just one of many symbolic foods during the entire Christmas Eve meal. This is not a Catholic custom but a cultural one. In the US its very hard to get communion wafers from non-Catholic sources.

I've only ever been to one. After the service, the priest took groups of people in the back (usually by family unit) to hear a "group" confession and then absolved us all together. This was when I was a kid though and we now have a new archbishop who is a bit more... orthodox. Maybe things like that have changed.

That is bizarre. I've never seen that.

And one still must go to Reconciliation the old fashioned way after the penance service. A penance service won't absolve one of sins.

I have mixed feelings about these services. So many people just leave after them thinking they are good to go.

I don't think people here are confused about it. We have a short service at the beginning and then almost everyone lines up to go to individual confession. Father always makes a point of telling us which priests are here, and where each one will be hearing confessions.

Traditionally we have 3 purple candles and 1 pink candle.

Wait. Doesn't everyone???? I mean, even the BIBLE churches I've been to that have chosen to have colored candles have these colors. All Lutheran churches do, too, don't they?

Wait. Doesn't everyone???? I mean, even the BIBLE churches I've been to that have chosen to have colored candles have these colors. All Lutheran churches do, too, don't they?

I haven't gone back to look, but I think someone up thread said her church uses red candles.

I wish we really had our group back. I'm going to spin off from a post on the EO thread.

Who is your patron? Or who did you chose as your saint at Confirmation?

I picked St. Bridget of Ireland

Dh has St. Florian

Dd's St. Mary Magdalene

Mine is St. Teresa of Avila.

dH chose St. Gregory the Great.

DD 13 will choose St. Rose of Lima.

Not sure yet about the other two.

About those saint names, is it something obligatory? How do you go about choosing? I've been reading about a few saints and it seems mind boggling - so many. When I was baptized over 1/2 a century ago... :coolgleamA: I was given a saint name. My parents said the priest insisted on every child having a saint name. Its not my given/legal name, but all my family know its my baptismal name (or saint name) Could I use that?

About those saint names, is it something obligatory? How do you go about choosing? I've been reading about a few saints and it seems mind boggling - so many. When I was baptized over 1/2 a century ago... :coolgleamA: I was given a saint name. My parents said the priest insisted on every child having a saint name. Its not my given/legal name, but all my family know its my baptismal name (or saint name) Could I use that?

I didn't choose one, because I was a rebellious 14yo when I got confirmed, so I know the sacrament can happen without one. I now regret that, though. Yes, you could use your baptismal saint name, but please consider whether it's a saint who has a particular significance to you - it's nice to have that friend in your corner, kwim?

I wish we really had our group back. I'm going to spin off from a post on the EO thread.

Dh has St. Florian

Dd's St. Mary Magdalene

St. Elizabeth Ann Seton is mine

St. Patrick is Dh's (which is totally confusing to me, but there you go)

St. Vincent De Paul is son's

The twins both took St. Francis

Nate took St. Bartholomew (get it, get it?)

Sophia will probably take St. Lucy as we call her that all the time, even before we reverted. Though it will be funny if she takes St. Sophia. I'll still call her Lucy. :laugh:

Oldest Dd took St. Rachel.

For those who might be interested, Aquinas and More has oplatki for sale. They also have a page full of information about the history of this practice, with lots of tasty details about the traditional Christmas Eve meal. :)

Hey, this is cool

In the Latin Rite, the bread and wine offered at Mass are referred to as oblata (offerings). It is from the Latin word Oblata that the Polish word Oplatki and the Slovak word Oblatky is derived. The Lithuanian word Plotkele has the same origin, but due to something called "vocal shift" in the Lithuanian language the name has changed slightly. While the source of the name is derived from the Latin, the religious custom of Oplatki at Christmas is shared by both the Latin and the Byzantine traditions.

The Oplatki tradition developed from earlier Christian traditions, such as the antidoron, in the Kingdom of Poland not long after Christianity came to the country in 966. The custom was adopted later by the Lithuanian, Czech and Slovak peoples and has made its way into countless other households who find that its rich symbolism is an easily adoptable Christmas custom which also carries profound meaning for Christians.

When I visited the GO church in our county, it was for a pre sanctified liturgy before Easter, and the Priest's wife gave my kids the antidoron? (unblessed bread) after the service.

Sure. Use the saint name you already have. Unless in teh last half century you've found a fondness of some other saint.

It isn't anything obligatory. My diocese no longer does saint names, but I made sure we all had one at confirmation.

I didn't choose one, because I was a rebellious 14yo when I got confirmed, so I know the sacrament can happen without one. I now regret that, though. Yes, you could use your baptismal saint name, but please consider whether it's a saint who has a particular significance to you - it's nice to have that friend in your corner, kwim?

You can always pick a patron saint. Some people pick a new on on New Year's Day each year.

Dh has St. Florian

Dd's St. Mary Magdalene

I'm St. Brigid of Kildare (Ireland...same as yours :D )

DH has two: St. Stephen the Martyr and St. Symeon (he was chrismated under Symeon, but he is named for Stephen and even used to look like the icons of St. Stephen)

the rest are....

St. Michael the Archangel

St. Anna the Prophetess

St. Isaiah the Prophet

St. Elisabeth, Mother of John the Baptist

St. Miriam the Prophetess and Sister of Moses

St. Yipomoni aka St. Patience aka Empress Helen DeGrasse

St. Aidan of Lindsfarne

St. Margaret of Scotland

St. Ignatius is our household Saint as we were chrismated on his day and St. Michael is as well, as he has followed both my husband and myself throughout our lives.

I'm St. Brigid of Kildare (Ireland...same as yours :D )

DH has two: St. Stephen the Martyr and St. Symeon (he was chrismated under Symeon, but he is named for Stephen and even used to look like the icons of St. Stephen)

the rest are....

St. Michael the Archangel

St. Anna the Prophetess

St. Isaiah the Prophet

St. Elisabeth, Mother of John the Baptist

St. Miriam the Prophetess and Sister of Moses

St. Yipomoni aka St. Patience aka Empress Helen DeGrasse

St. Aidan of Lindsfarne

St. Margaret of Scotland

St. Ignatius is our household Saint as we were chrismated on his day and St. Michael is as well, as he has followed both my husband and myself throughout our lives.

Does P have St. Patience?

St. Anselm is the patron saint of our marriage

These interest me. I've never thought to pick either a household Saint or a marriage saint. I did pick St. Joseph as our homeschool patron.

How does one go about picking a Confirmation Saint or Patron Saint? There are so many wonderful saints.

If it's the same as in the EO, then you can go by several things: your name (first or middle), certain attributes or life experiences, someone that you like or can relate to, or one chosen by a godparent or priest.