Menu

Crossing the Tiber - The Master Thread

Parrothead

Thanks so much for clarifying! Thankfully we only have two priests and I can pretty much set the time by them, so I know I'm safe if I don't eat anytime after the half-hour before Mass begins (which is why I don't tend to eat before 10am Mass :lol: ).

You are not alone. There have been times I've timed it down to the last 30 seconds or prayed that father's homily would run an extra 2 minutes.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One final question for now. Is there any big difference between the Saturday Vigil vs. the Sunday Mass? We will be downtown for The Nutcracker on Saturday night. I thought we could go early and attend the 5pm vigil and have dinner first. I am really looking forward to going but the rest of my gang is more reserved (some more than others), so I thought this might be a good way to start.

Just remember that the readings during the vigil will be from the Sunday morning section. So if you want to follow along read from the 3rd Sunday of Advent not the Saturday readings.

You see, there is another Catholic church in this small town, Our Lady of Guadalupe church, the Spanish-Catholic church. When we drove by it after Mass it was PACKED! So we went to the wrong mass tonight. I felt the Virgin was disrespected in this White-Catholic church. (...)

Are there segregated churches in your area?

I don't know that "segregated" is the right word, but there's nothing in our faith that's against people choosing to belong to ethnic parishes, and there are several in my diocese. The Church has been very supportive of them at times, especially with immigrant groups whose faith was under attack by the dominant culture.

There's no such thing as a "White-Catholic" identity, though. The current norm of predominantly English-speaking parishes is what we ended up with when families left their own former ethnic parishes -- German, Polish, Portuguese, Irish, etc. -- often when they moved to the newly built suburbs. The older parishes had (and in some cases, still have) their own devotions, language, hymns, foods, and special celebrations of their national feast days, just as many other immigrant groups -- Mexican, Vietnamese, Filipino -- do now.

(As an aside, the more I learn about US Catholic history, the more it seems strange that American Catholics of continental European origin are labeled "Anglo." In the early generations, not only did many of them not speak English at home, but many Protestant Americans didn't even consider the Southern and Eastern Europeans to be white. In other words, they were no more "Anglo" than today's Spanish-speaking Mexican Catholics are.)

This turns out to be relevant to issues that a lot of us are facing, since the expression of our Catholic faith is embodied not only in the universal prayers and sacraments of the Church, but also in the tapestry of local customs and devotions that's developed over centuries in a particular area. American Catholic immigrants have always brought these with them from the old countries, and treasured them. In the past, those who had been here for a few generations tended to intermarry between ethnic groups (though most often within their own faith; the book Protestant, Catholic, Jew talks about this "triple melting pot"), which led to new combinations of customs. But there was also continuity through the presence of extended family, friends, and neighbors. Today, because so many of us are either converts, or people whose families "lost the thread," we don't always have that to turn back to. So you get homeschooling parents who are flipping through books to choose their own Catholic folk practices -- which if you think about it, is a contradiction in terms. :) We're supposed to be absorbing these things from our environment, but what if the environment is nowhere to be found? This ends up with uncertainty over things so basic as whether to welcome a visit from St. Nicholas, Santa Claus, or both. And unless we stick to a very generic approach, there's not much likelihood that most other families in the parish or homeschool group will be doing the same things at the same times. This obviously doesn't do a whole lot for our children's sense of Christian community and culture.

So in this respect, the people in the Spanish-language parish in your town are at an advantage. The Church knows this, which is why She has historically supported these arrangements, e.g. by providing priests who speak other languages. And I try to remember that it does have value, even though I personally would like more chances for us and our children to get to know each other.

(The Catholic schools used to provide this opportunity, in a big way. This is why they put such an emphasis on teaching English skills, American citizenship, and history. And not to get into another liturgical discussion, but I think it might have also helped a bit when the Mass was in Latin. Bilingual vernacular Masses tend to be kind of awkward. But I've been to Latin Masses in which the vernacular parts were bilingual, and apart from being a bit longer than usual, things went fine.)

Anyway, this post is getting way too long... enough rambling from me. I'm sorry you had a disappointing experience. Although most Catholics do have a great love for the Blessed Mother, it seems hard enough to get them to attend Mass on the Marian feast days that the Church considers most important (e.g., last Saturday, the Immaculate Conception, which was a Holy Day of Obligation). And sometimes priests just aren't on top of things, for whatever reason. I remember how strange it felt, my first year as a revert, going to my local parish on the Feast of Divine Mercy... a feast that meant a great deal to me, and obviously to John Paul II as well... and the priest didn't mention Divine Mercy at all. :huh:

Over time, I've come to accept that human weakness is a powerful thing, so there's going to be a more or less big gap between the ideal and practice in many areas of Catholic life. Especially my own. :leaving:

Over time, I've come to accept that human weakness is a powerful thing, so there's going to be a more or less big gap between the ideal and practice in many areas of Catholic life. Especially my own. :leaving:

Thanks for responding to that. I've been in this town for 7yrs and have always heard mention of this priest/monsignor very highly. I guess my bubble was burst. Some of the congregant's comments that evening were very racist referring to the Virgin and the person she appeared to and the people she intercedes for today. I thought they were uncalled for and they seemed allowed and encouraged by the priest who had to add his own biased two-cents. I see past the exterior and try to see people as God sees them, but being an 'olive' skinned person I feel hurt as a child of God to be singled out simply for that. I went that night to worship God in His house but I was made to feel unwelcomed and left very sad.

Thanks for responding to that. I've been in this town for 7yrs and have always heard mention of this priest/monsignor very highly. I guess my bubble was burst. Some of the congregant's comments that evening were very racist referring to the Virgin and the person she appeared to and the people she intercedes for today. I thought they were uncalled for and they seemed allowed and encouraged by the priest who had to add his own biased two-cents. I see past the exterior and try to see people as God sees them, but being an 'olive' skinned person I feel hurt as a child of God to be singled out simply for that. I went that night to worship God in His house but I was made to feel unwelcomed and left very sad.

Wow, that's just so wrong! It is ludicrous for Catholics to take that kind of attitude! First of all, Catholics were looked down upon and experienced bigotry. My own father recalled as a child, waking up to a ruckus and looking out the window across the street to his cousins house (they lived in Pittsburgh in the 1930s) and seeing a burning cross placed there by some Catholic hating KKK'ers. And nowadays, there's good bit of anti-Catholicism afloat. We don't need it coming from our own ranks!!!!

I would write the bishop and state just what happened. That's inexcusable.

Secondly, what's so stupid about that kind of attitude is that the Church is in decline in the Western/Northern Hemisphere but is booming in the Southern hemisphere. That's where the Church's future lies!

Gee, I would really say something to somebody. Grrrr. I am so mad and hurt for you!

Take heart, this olive skinned Catholic is right at home in her parish. :D We have a few Nigerian families, many Philippinos, many Indian and LOTS of Cuban, Dominicans and Mexicans. So much so that we have an immigrant outreach and our Bishop give his homily in two languages. Yet MY parish was founded and built by the Irish workers in our county. Just find the right Parish. There was a reason there were so few parishioners in that service.

I wanted to thank you all so much for your help! I had time today at an appointment to read a bit from two books mentioned in this thread and I really enjoyed them. We will be attending the 5pm service at the Cathedral tomorrow and I will let you all know how it goes.

My oldest dd was really against going and I talked with her a while this afternoon. My heart just hurt for her. She is basically against trying any new churches due to many we've been to. She said she was most worried they would say that the things she likes are bad, so she is sinning (like other churches have done). Things like reading Harry Potter or listening to any music that isn't Christian. I hate that our journey thus far has hurt her so much and I really hope we find a place for us. She is now open to going and giving it a real try.

Last year while in RCIA, I was a bit shy about mentioning things like Harry Potter and the such, not sure how it would be received by those around me based on past experiences with fairly fundamentalist-minded people. But, I have found the Catholic church (at least my parish) to be very welcoming and much more likely to be accepting of things like that. The whole feel is different, if that makes any sense. Many, many blessings on your journey. I look forward to hearing about the service at the Cathedral. :)

My oldest dd was really against going and I talked with her a while this afternoon. My heart just hurt for her. She is basically against trying any new churches due to many we've been to. She said she was most worried they would say that the things she likes are bad, so she is sinning (like other churches have done). Things like reading Harry Potter or listening to any music that isn't Christian. I hate that our journey thus far has hurt her so much and I really hope we find a place for us. She is now open to going and giving it a real try.

Hugs to your dd! Hope it goes well.

I have never had issues with those kinds of things in my parish or when we were at Catholic school, but I have seen it among Catholic homeschoolers, who tend to be more conservative than the community at large. You may find Latin-Mass only, skirts-only, strict no TV or popular books/media, etc. It is out there. It just is not as prevalent as I have found it to be in the general Christian homeschooling groups.

Even with that, we have always been able to find other Catholic homeschooling families that we fit in with, and it has been much easier to fit in than it was in the non-Catholic Christian groups we have been part of.

Hugs to your dd! Hope it goes well.

I have never had issues with those kinds of things in my parish or when we were at Catholic school, but I have seen it among Catholic homeschoolers, who tend to be more conservative than the community at large. You may find Latin-Mass only, skirts-only, strict no TV or popular books/media, etc. It is out there. It just is not as prevalent as I have found it to be in the general Christian homeschooling groups.

Even with that, we have always been able to find other Catholic homeschooling families that we fit in with, and it has been much easier to fit in than it was in the non-Catholic Christian groups we have been part of.

This has been our experience as well. I know one lady who used to homeschool (her kids are in their 20's now) and she would give me tapes on the evils of Harry Potter, the evils of Vatican II, why the Latin Mass is the ONLY way to go, etc., but that isn't the norm, even among the Catholic homeschooling families I know. I have been chided for wearing the WRONG kind of dress. Sigh. I never got into discussions about HP with people like this, because it would go nowhere. Just nod, smile, and move on.

I wanted to thank you all so much for your help! I had time today at an appointment to read a bit from two books mentioned in this thread and I really enjoyed them. We will be attending the 5pm service at the Cathedral tomorrow and I will let you all know how it goes.

If it help I read HP and thoroughly enjoy it. And we all know I listen to some decidedly not Christian music. The Catholic Church isn't legalistic by any means. You may find individual pockets of people that are a bit scrupulous here and there. But they are not in any way the majority, and are easily ignored.

I have a question. I have a friend who is Catholic, who will not have a Christmas tree in her house, because this tradition was started by Martin Luther (or so the legend of the Christmas tree goes). She says that since she considers him a heretic, the Christmas tree is anti-Catholic. Now, I grew up Catholic, and we had a big, bright, beautiful Christmas tree every year, as did all the Catholics around me. Is this something new in the church, or is it just her personal thing? I did google a bit and found there are some Catholic towns in Germany who believe the same way my friend does, so I thought I'd ask the Hive.

I have a question. I have a friend who is Catholic, who will not have a Christmas tree in her house, because this tradition was started by Martin Luther (or so the legend of the Christmas tree goes). She says that since she considers him a heretic, the Christmas tree is anti-Catholic. Now, I grew up Catholic, and we had a big, bright, beautiful Christmas tree every year, as did all the Catholics around me. Is this something new in the church, or is it just her personal thing? I did google a bit and found there are some Catholic towns in Germany who believe the same way my friend does, so I thought I'd ask the Hive.

It did start as a German tradition. Martin Luther is credited with adding lights (candles), but the tradition was already in place. He didn't start it.

There is actually a legend that St. Boniface used the triangular shape of the fir tree to describe the Holy Trinity to people in Germany when he went there from England to teach about God.

The converted people began to revere the Fir tree as God's Tree, as they had previously revered the Oak. By the 12th century it was being hung, upside-down, from ceilings at Christmastime in Central Europe, as a symbol of Christianity.

Source

So it is your friend's own personal thing. Her interpretation of history is slightly skewed.

One of the things that was the hardest for me to get used to, and yet the most healing was that there is a BROAD spectrum of Catholics, and ALL are under the umbrella. They don't splinter off and start their own church. That in itself promotes unity. So, though legalistic people like that are in *any* church (wheat and tares are everywhere!), there is, like ltlmrs said, a live and let live attitude within the church because these are not salvation issues.

I have not encountered ANY of that in my parish. (((hugs))) for her.

And, the Vatican has given a thumbs up to Harry Potter. Don't forget, J.R.R Tolkien was a devout Catholic who was known for spending much of his time in Eucharistic adoration. :coolgleamA:

Tolkein did not write the Harry Potter series, it was JK Rowling. I dont know what her religious background is.

I would say that Lord of the Rings is in the same boat as HP, though. I don't see anything inherently wrong with either book, as they both show good triumphing over evil. I think she was just referring to the fact that some legalists would object to LotR as well as HP, even though LotR was written by a devout Catholic.

I believe JK Rowling is Mormon?

Can someone please help me with the Divine Mercy Chaplet.

I understand it shows God's divine mercy towards us, but I struggle with the wording.

Eternal Father, I offer You the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Your dearly beloved Son, Our Lord Jesus Christ, in atonement for our sins and those of the whole world.

For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

It seems to me that the prayer is saying God will not show his mercy without Christ, therefore the prayer is reminding the Father of his Son's offering.

I grew up in a community that was very much, "Christ had to die to appease the Father's anger." AFAIK, the Catholic Church doesn't teach that, but this prayer bothers me.

I don't know if it is just me and my hang ups, though.

I would say that Lord of the Rings is in the same boat as HP, though. I don't see anything inherently wrong with either book, as they both show good triumphing over evil. I think she was just referring to the fact that some legalists would object to LotR as well as HP, even though LotR was written by a devout Catholic.

I believe JK Rowling is Mormon?

No, she's not. That's the Twilight author. Whose books I haven't read, because I'm just not into vampires. LOL

I am reading this amazing book that really could use a better title...I mean, yes, that's what it's about, but it's so much more and once you start reading it the title is a bit underwhelming in comparison to the book.

Forming Intentional Disciples, by Sherry Weddell.

I was reading about it on the comments of Fr Longnecker's blog and then just decided to give it a read. Wow. It's about the catechism problem we have. I bought it because I have these little crack addled marmosets in 8th grade CCD (I call them crack addled marmosets with utmost affection) and me, not knowing the history of what has gone on for catechism on this side of the Tiber, I needed to find the pulse of what I was dealing with. It is JUST what I need. Frankly, I think it should be required reading for every Bishop, Priest and Catechist. It discusses the 'saved' aspect, though not in those terms, vocations, charisms, and the sacraments.

Anyway, if you are a catechist or teaching at your Parish, this is the book for you. I'm going to pass mine onto my priest.

It was given to all the priests, deacons, DREs, and catechists in our diocese. The word on the street :coolgleamA: is that it is a great worthwhile read. :thumbup1:

Answering Briva's post from the EO thread:

I was told as a 'revert' (going back to RC) in our diocese, one gets questioned and confirmed by the local bishop :ohmy: . Is that so in your diocese? I feel the same as you do and envious that this decision has come quickly for you. So happy you are home. Please continue sharing your journey as you step back into the church.

No, I have not heard that.

I was told after I finish my RCIA, I will receive Communion and then immediately after Mass that day I will be confirmed by the Priest of the parish. Nothing was brought up about Confession, but I am absolutely going to assist in going to Confession before I receive Communion since I was baptized 19 years ago!

I had never heard about the Bishop doing it always. I am sure it happens occasionally, like if he happens to be visiting your parish that day.

Here is a pretty balanced view on Harry Potter from Archbishop Charles Chaput, now archbishop of Philadelphia, formerly of Denver. He is very faithful in upholding the Church's teachings in everything I have heard or read about him.

http://www.archden.org/archbishop/docs/12_05_01_potter.htm

Answering Briva's post from the EO thread:

No, I have not heard that.

I was told after I finish my RCIA, I will receive Communion and then immediately after Mass that day I will be confirmed by the Priest of the parish. Nothing was brought up about Confession, but I am absolutely going to assist in going to Confession before I receive Communion since I was baptized 19 years ago!

I had never heard about the Bishop doing it always. I am sure it happens occasionally, like if he happens to be visiting your parish that day.

Yes, if you were baptized Catholic and continue on through the RCIA process you should go to Reconciliation prior to receiving the Eucharist again.

I wonder why you would be confirmed after mass. That is a bit different, but not totally unusual. Dh entered the church during a private ceremony.

I was wrong. I have one more question, and I hope it doesn't bother anyone. Dh is willing to go but he's been the hardest sell. We were talking quite a bit tonight about this before he went to bed. Apparently, one of his biggest problems is saints. He admits he doesn't understand it but is uncomfortable with the idea of praying to them. Can someone share a link to information or a book that would be good for us/him to read about this? He said he will read anything, including the Kindle books mentioned before that I've already purchased. Thanks!

As Christians we ask fellow believers to pray for us, right? Those faithful Christians who have gone before us can pray for us, too. After all, the prayers of a righteous man avails much. We are simply asking our older brothers and sisters in the faith whom the Church has confirmed are in heaven because of their holy lives (canonized saints) to intercede for us.

Can someone please help me with the Divine Mercy Chaplet.

I understand it shows God's divine mercy towards us, but I struggle with the wording.

It seems to me that the prayer is saying God will not show his mercy without Christ, therefore the prayer is reminding the Father of his Son's offering.

I grew up in a community that was very much, "Christ had to die to appease the Father's anger." AFAIK, the Catholic Church doesn't teach that, but this prayer bothers me.

I don't know if it is just me and my hang ups, though.

Would it help to think of it as similar to the Penitential Rite and/or the Kyrie we say during the mass? We are asking for God's mercy.

Priest: Lord, we have sinned against you:

Lord, have mercy.

All: Lord, have mercy.

Priest: Lord, show us your mercy and love.

All: And grant us your salvation.

Priest: May almighty God have mercy on us, forgive us our sins, and bring us to everlasting life.

All: Amen.

Priest: Lord, have mercy. All: Lord, have mercy.

Priest: Christ, have mercy. All: Christ, have mercy.

Priest: Lord, have mercy. All: Lord, have mercy.

Yes, if you were baptized Catholic and continue on through the RCIA process you should go to Reconciliation prior to receiving the Eucharist again.

I wonder why you would be confirmed after mass. That is a bit different, but not totally unusual. Dh entered the church during a private ceremony.

I thought it was a bit odd as well.

The Sister said before Mass we would go over my Profession of Faith together. I would sign it and then she said during Mass, I would receive the Eucharist with everyone else. Afterwards, Father would confirm me. I actually don't know any Catholics personally enough to ask them to Sponsor me, so the Sister said she would do it.

I definitely intend to go to Reconciliation before, though. She keeps telling me and the other girl in my class (who will be confirmed next Sunday) that Reconciliation is only really necessary if one has committed mortal sin but no other time.

There are a few teachings where she seems to go a bit against the Church on. I just plan to follow the Church on areas I disagree with her. She really is a sweet, Godly woman though.

Would it help to think of it as similar to the Penitential Rite and/or the Kyrie we say during the mass? We are asking for God's mercy.

I did give this some thought. I also say the Jesus Prayer quite often, so I don't know why the Divine Mercy chaplet gave me some pause.

Thanks for the help. I think I have to get out of that vengeful God mindset still.

"God became man so that man might become a god." - Catechism of the Catholic Church paragraph 460

I have been reading that over and over so it will sink in eventually. :)

I definitely intend to go to Reconciliation before, though. She keeps telling me and the other girl in my class (who will be confirmed next Sunday) that Reconciliation is only really necessary if one has committed mortal sin but no other time.

There are a few teachings where she seems to go a bit against the Church on. I just plan to follow the Church on areas I disagree with her. She really is a sweet, Godly woman though.

Yeah, we all go to confession at least once a month, all of us, even the kids. It's one of the most beautiful sacraments given for fine tuning your spiritual life no matter where you are on your journey. Plus, if she was right, the Holy Father wouldn't ever have to go to confession, and it's a fact he often does.

How often do Catholics go to confession (after confirmation) when actively practicing the faith? Just curious!

As Christians we ask fellow believers to pray for us, right? Those faithful Christians who have gone before us can pray for us, too. After all, the prayers of a righteous man avails much. We are simply asking our older brothers and sisters in the faith whom the Church has confirmed are in heaven because of their holy lives (canonized saints) to intercede for us.

ALSO--they are alive in Christ! If we believe heaven is real, then those that have gone before us are alive in Christ, part of the communion of saints and the great cloud of witnesses.(that was something I had never quite connected previously, the teaching with the outcome..)

I thought it was a bit odd as well.

The Sister said before Mass we would go over my Profession of Faith together. I would sign it and then she said during Mass, I would receive the Eucharist with everyone else. Afterwards, Father would confirm me. I actually don't know any Catholics personally enough to ask them to Sponsor me, so the Sister said she would do it.

Just throwing this out there for you. One of us can be your sponsor via proxy. Or if you are close to another Catholic person and distance is a factor you could ask them to sponsor you via proxy.

Technically Sister is correct about the mortal sin thing. And since you are baptized you can go at any time and tell Father in the confessional that you are baptized and this is your first confession. Any Catholic priest will hear your confession - he would help you through it.

For a sin to be mortal, three criteria must be met:

1. Grave matter.

2. Full knowledge. You need to know fully that what you are doing is a sin and you need to know that it is grave.

3. Full consent. You need to do it deliberately with complete consent

For people who were baptized young there is always that pesky 4th Commandment. There may not be anything else but one knows one lied to one's mom about something.

And it won't hurt you in any way to go. If Father decides that you've not committed a mortal sin he will tell you. I thought I missed a Holy Day of Obligation once. When I confessed it, Father told me I was mistaken about it being a HDO.

I'm wondering if Sister is older and a product of the 1970s. I've come across a sort of more liberal Sister now and again. A priest too for that matter. It happens. We can pray for them.

I did give this some thought. I also say the Jesus Prayer quite often, so I don't know why the Divine Mercy chaplet gave me some pause.

Thanks for the help. I think I have to get out of that vengeful God mindset still.

"God became man so that man might become a god." - Catechism of the Catholic Church paragraph 460

I have been reading that over and over so it will sink in eventually. :)

:grouphug:

How often do Catholics go to confession (after confirmation) when actively practicing the faith? Just curious!

Well, I know they have to make their first confession previous to their first communion which is around age 7 (or whenever they join). I think from there it's up to the family on how often, though we are all required to go once a year during Lent at the least.

Just throwing this out there for you. One of us can be your sponsor via proxy. Or if you are close to another Catholic person and distance is a factor you could ask them to sponsor you via proxy.

Technically Sister is correct about the mortal sin thing. And since you are baptized you can go at any time and tell Father in the confessional that you are baptized and this is your first confession. Any Catholic priest will hear your confession - he would help you through it.

For a sin to be mortal, three criteria must be met:

1. Grave matter.

2. Full knowledge. You need to know fully that what you are doing is a sin and you need to know that it is grave.

3. Full consent. You need to do it deliberately with complete consent

For people who were baptized young there is always that pesky 4th Commandment.

And it won't hurt you in any way to go. If Father decides that you've not committed a mortal sin he will tell you. I thought I missed a Holy Day of Obligation once. When I confessed it, Father told me I was mistaken about it being a HDO.

I'm wondering if Sister is older and a product of the 1970s. I've come across a sort of more liberal Sister now and again. A priest too for that matter. It happens. We can pray for them.

How does the Sponsor via proxy work? As I understood it, my Sponsor has to stand behind me with their hand on my shoulder and tell Father my confirmation name. My mother and her siblings were all raised Catholic but none continued in the Church. I don't know anyone Catholic personally.

Sister is older. She is in her early 70s, I believe.

It varies.

Some dioceses practice the Restored Order of the Sacraments. If one is a cradle Catholic in a restored order diocese it goes something like this:

Baptism as an infant

Reconciliation the week prior to Confirmation and First Holy Communion

Confirmation then a bit later during the mass FHC. This happens about age 7

If one is a cradle Catholic in a diocese that does not follow the restored order it goes like this:

Baptism as an infant

Reconciliaton about a week prior to FHC

FHC during mass at about age 7

Confirmation between age 13-17

These kids can go to Reconciliation (Confession) at any point after their first that they feel they committed a mortal sin. Some go more often than other. Some families go together once a week. Some once a month. Some, sadly, don't go again until they are on their death bed.

If a person is converting and has not been previously validly baptized he does not have to go to confession prior to receiving the sacraments of initiation as he will be baptized and washed of all sin. After initiation he is free to go to Confession at any time he feels he needs to. There is no hard and fast rule.

If the person converting has been previously validly baptized he should receive the sacrament of Reconciliation prior to confirmation and communion. Then anytime after he feels the need he should go. Again in both these cases some don't go again until they are dying.

I'm not sure why I felt the need to explain all that. It seemed pertinent at the time. I hope I didn't overwhelm you with information when I could have easily stuck with, "It varies."

How does the Sponsor via proxy work? As I understood it, my Sponsor has to stand behind me with their hand on my shoulder and tell Father my confirmation name. My mother and her siblings were all raised Catholic but none continued in the Church. I don't know anyone Catholic personally.

Just figured out the Sponsor via proxy thing myself. :hat:

I would be honored if one of you ladies would like to be my Sponsor. I learn so much from reading all of your posts.

My dd was baptized with a sponsor who was via proxy.

My uncle is her godfather. He was unable to attend the baptism due to scheduling conflicts. He sent his mother (my grandmother) and his daughter (my cousin) in his stead. His daughter was the person who stood with us and she answered for my uncle. His name is on the paperwork as sponsor/godfather instead of my cousin's name.

If you were to have a sponsor by proxy you could probably get Sister to stand behind you and answer for your sponsor. On the official paperwork it would be the actual sponsor's name not Sister's.

I thought that might be the case with Sister's age.

Just figured out the Sponsor via proxy thing myself. :hat:

I would be honored if one of you ladies would like to be my Sponsor. I learn so much from reading all of your posts.

You ought to pick someone or we will be all clamoring over each other screaming, "Pick me!" "Pick me!" trying to get to you first.

:laugh: