Menu

Apple computer---which one? Where to buy? Should I buy?

Ottakee

My computer died and I am not on an OLD laptap. We are considering going with an Apple computer since the kids all have ipads and ipods and someday I might make that iphone plunge.

What should I look for? Where do you buy them? Best prices? I saw that we could get an educator discount through my dd's highschool but is that really a discount and/or the best way to go?

Then do I want a tower or laptop?

We don't travel very much. I MUST have my larger keyboard and big old fashioned mouse :-) But if those plug into a laptop I could be happy.

Where to buy.....? Any Apple store - the benefit of this is being able to see all of their computers, try them out yourself, and talk to a rep. Or the Apple online store - where you can buy refurbished computers for lower prices than the new computers.

If you don't travel much .... I think an iMac would be fine. We've had all three - laptop, tower, and iMac - and all have worked great. If you want to upgrade anything though, you might want to avoid the laptop. I don't know if you can change anything on them - bigger hard drive, better graphics card (but I'm not sure if that is true so you might want to talk to someone who really knows what they're talking about!). :)

Hopefully someone else will have answers for your other questions! And more knowledge of the inner workings/be able to compare the pros and cons of the computers! Dh handles all of our computer issues and I just watch. :)

Maybe I should add how I use a computer.

For very basic word processing documents, email and surfing the web. Not big into music, videos, no gaming, and really no other software to run. I am a very basic user. I do download and store pictures to put on facebook, email to people though.

I just want EASY to use and RELIABLE.

I might also use facetime occ. when my friend travels to Alaska as sometimes she can get internet service easier than cell service up in the artic circle.

If you don't envision yourself using your laptop on the couch or kitchen table or wherever, go for an iMac.

I only use my laptop (and iPad) because I'm always wondering around with it. Right now I'm on the couch while my dd is doing her math beside me. I also hook up my laptop to my TV for online shows (we don't have cable/satellite). And we vacation for weeks at a time so I bring my laptop with us for bill paying, picture uploading, etc.

I could never be stuck at a desk, but that's just me. My dh has an iMac and an iPad and he's fine with that (and his work laptop). But he doesn't keep in touch, deal with pictures, pay bills, or any of the rest. His iPad is plenty for him as an on-the-go computer.

I have an iMac and a MacBook Pro. I'd say go to an Apple store if you can and try out actual models. If you don't need to move much (and you have iPads), the iMac would be a good choice because of the large screen. It is nice to have multiple windows open and actually see everything clearly.

Based on what you said your computing needs are, the base model 20" screen should be fine. I got mine a few years ago with extra memory, extra storage, and it is about equivalent to the in-stock current base model. It does everything I want it to do.

BTW, the iMacs take up much less space than you might expect because of the small footprint. The keyboard fits right underneath for when you need extra desk space.

I got rid of my PC (laptop) a few years ago and switched to a MacBook Pro (also a laptop). It is very easy to use, and I love it! I can't imagine getting a desktop model, but that is because I love to grab my laptop and take it to various rooms to be with my family.

I just bought both of my daughters MacBook Pros for Christmas. :thumbup1: I just bought them from Apple and used the educator discount. However, I have heard good things about refurbished models if you want to go that route.

I love my iMac. It does not have a tower- the new models come with everything built in.

If I didn't have an iPad I would go with a MacBook because I like being mobile even just around the house while researching, planning, reading here :) and following recipes in the kitchen, reading PDFs while knitting on the couch, etc.

If you have regular access to one of the iPads in your home, I'd say go with the iMac. You get a much larger screen for the price.

Now I have to think on if I want a laptop or not......hmmmm. I just like my larger split ergonomic keyboard so much for any amount of typing. I find the standard flat keyboards hard to type with but I could adjust.

It is just so hard to part with THAT much money when a windows based computer would be so much less.

What would an Apple/Mac computer give me that a windows based wont?

What would an Apple/Mac computer give me that a windows based wont?

You won't have to use the vomit that is Windows unless you really want to (dual booting is easy.)

The new trackpad-cum-mouse device has intuitive gestures, pinch to zoom, flick to switch programs, multi-finger scrolling to control speed.

Amazing integration with other Apple devices. I just don't think PC's work as nicely with iPods and such but that's me.

No blue screen of death. Ever.

There is a learning curve, but everyone has heir own definition of value. While Mac is more expensive for a casual user, I personally am comfortable paying for the above points, the lack of tower for desktops (sacrificing customization, which I wouldn't do anyway, for space economy) and aesthetics.

sent from my Macbook :tongue_smilie:

iMac. Macs are worth every penny. Apple uses better quality parts than the commodity PC manufacturers do, and the OS is much better. Mac users typically keep (and enjoy their machines) far longer, and with few problems than PC owners do.

You should know that brand new iMacs are just coming out. The 21" may be out now (I believe that is the case) and the 27" is due in December IMS.

Bill

I have an Imac and a Macbook. We have PC laptops also. Recently DH needed a laptop for work based stuff.

Windows 8 was a complete and utter disaster - A complete waste of time and money and frustration. I was lucky enough to be able to return that one and got him one of the last Windows 7 laptops I could find. He needed a PC because of a software he uses for work. Apparently Windows 8 has driver issues with most manufacturers. It would try to load an update and get stuck on 13 percent. This happened twice. And it was stuck for hours! Windows advice? Delete the sound card driver and the antivirus! Ok - I needed to do that every single time there was a Windows 8 update? I don't think so. (This happened TWICE in less than two weeks.) Of course in order to do that you had to do a hard shut down and system repair, etc....

I have had at least two operating system upgrades since buying my Macs and I can honestly say I have had not one hiccup. I will NEVER buy another PC for my personal use. The frustrations and life span make my Macs worth every penny I have spent.

And by the time we had the second 13 percent update disaster DH was sold on Apple. If we had the MAC version of Autocad (his work bought the PC version) then we'd of gotten him a macbook.

iMac. Macs are worth every penny. Apple uses better quality parts than the commodity PC manufacturers do, and the OS is much better. Mac users typically keep (and enjoy their machines) far longer, and with few problems than PC owners do.

I can't speak to how long Apple owners keep their computers (though I do still have an Apple II in the basement :D) but the idea that Apple uses better quality parts is a myth.

It used to be true when they manufactured their computers in the US but they no longer produce their own hardware and the hardware comes out of the same Chinese factories that parts for Dell, Compaq and other PC manufacturers are manufactured in. This has been the case for over a decade now. Hardware wise, Apples are now PCs in Apple costumes.

I agree with Mama Geek. Apples are really expensive compared to equivalent PCs. For what you want I can't see why you'd spend the extra money when a cheap laptop PC would do everything you need it to. Heck, for the price of an Apple laptop you could get a PC and an android tablet or two. And dinner at an expensive restaurant. With dessert. :D

I have nothing to add about the OS. I've tried it and for all the claims about it's intuitiveness, I hated it. I'm used to Windows and like it. Mama Geek's suggestion is a good one. Try out a few different laptops, Apples and PC, and see which OS works well for you.

I made the transition from PC to the MacBook Pro last month and I couldn't be happier. I already had an iPhone and iPad, so I thought why not completely go over to the "dark side" :lol: My dh works as a software architect and uses only PCs and droids (tablet & phone). He informed me that he would not offer technical support for Apple products.

I have always used a mouse with my pc laptops, but have found the trackpad for the MacBook to be easy to learn. I love not having to drag a mouse around with my laptop.

I purchased my MacBook at the Apple store and used the educational discount. I got my refurbished iPad through the online store last Christmas and have had no problems with it.

Have fun shopping!

I can't speak to how long Apple owners keep their computers (though I do still have an Apple II in the basement :D) but the idea that Apple uses better quality parts is a myth.

It used to be true when they manufactured their computers in the US but they no longer produce their own hardware and the hardware comes out of the same Chinese factories that parts for Dell, Compaq and other PC manufacturers are manufactured in. This has been the case for over a decade now. Hardware wise, Apples are now PCs in Apple costumes.

Sorry, but most of this is not so. Yes, Macs are built in China and have been for a very (very) long time. But Apple specs higher quality parts than PC makers do. For a long time 3D animators (whose software is often PC based) used custom PC that were up to Apple-like quality standards, and they paid more for these PCs than they would have for Mac towers. Now that Macs have intel chips and can run Windows they purchase Macs to use as PCs. And they do so because they want the superior components.

Apple is serious about quality. PC makers have been driven to low quality parts due to commodity price competition.

I agree with Mama Geek. Apples are really expensive compared to equivalent PCs. For what you want I can't see why you'd spend the extra money when a cheap laptop PC would do everything you need it to. Heck, for the price of an Apple laptop you could get a PC and an android tablet or two. And dinner at an expensive restaurant. With dessert. :D

I have nothing to add about the OS. I've tried it and for all the claims about it's intuitiveness, I hated it. I'm used to Windows and like it. Mama Geek's suggestion is a good one. Try out a few different laptops, Apples and PC, and see which OS works well for you.

They really are not expensive compared to "equivalent, PCs. One can spend less on a PC, but there is not an equivalence in terms of either hardware quality, or user experience resulting from a vastly superior OS. It is night and day.

To get an "equivalent" PC one would probably need to spend more on a custom PC or build the PC oneself from selected high end components. But the commodity PC are make of "junk" parts. Apples are not.

Bill

You should know that brand new iMacs are just coming out. The 21" may be out now (I believe that is the case) and the 27" is due in December IMS.

Bill

I have the brand new huge one. I love it. It is like a television on my desk.

I'd say *if* you're willing to buy all of the parts separately and do all of your own building, you *may* be able to get a comparatively nice PC for a similar price as a Mac off the shelf, however I don't know any casual users who would do that. Or even if you can do that for a laptop. PC's off the shelf are full of extra things I would never want, like antivirus slooooow-ware. There's another perk: no virus issues ever with any of my Macbooks.

I have to disagree with those that said a "cheap PC" would be fine for what you do. I had said "Cheap PC" and it was just that CHEAP. It was made cheaply and therefore barely lasted 4 months before giving me nothing but trouble. I suffered with it for a year and finally a couple months ago my dh bought me a macbook pro. I love it! I've have no problems at all with it. I do run parallels and windows but only because I prefer Quicken for PC to the mac version and didn't like Homeschool trackers online version and since they have no interest in making a mac version and I don't want to learn to use another program I use my windows dual boot for HST+.

My dh is holding out and has the same type laptop that I had (they were from Dell and not the bottom line one either) his is about a year and half old, but they had to replace it within a month of him buying it because the screen had an issue and when they replace it, they fried the mother board. I can't tell you how many times a week he's swearing like the sailor he is about that thing. He recently bought himself an new iPad and uses that 95% of the time because it just works.

Back in April I bought the kids a gorgeous 27" iMac and it's glorious. They love it and again we've had zero problems with it, which is part of why I was coveting the macbook pro I now have. The kids got sick of me using their computer. The macbook I have is not the new retina one it's the one before that which still has the cd-rom drive in it.

As to use, I found it took me about 3 days to fully convert to how to use it. That is because it's very intuitive, how it works just makes sense. My kids took about a day and a half to figure it all out and we'd all been PC users our whole lives.

Maybe I should add how I use a computer.

For very basic word processing documents, email and surfing the web. Not big into music, videos, no gaming, and really no other software to run. I am a very basic user. I do download and store pictures to put on facebook, email to people though.

I just want EASY to use and RELIABLE.

I might also use facetime occ. when my friend travels to Alaska as sometimes she can get internet service easier than cell service up in the artic circle.

Would a Mac Mini do the job for you? Your first post said "I am not on an OLD laptop" so I wasn't sure if you have been using an old laptop or if you have a desktop and monitor already. So I might not be understanding what you are needing.

If you already have a monitor, and a USB keyboard and mouse that you like and maybe a mini would work. Apple laptops and desktops are fine for ease of use (once you learn them, if you've only been on Windows) but it's so much to spend for a basic user, IMO. I agree with those saying it's a lot of $ for what you need. For such basic needs, I'd also look at a Chromebook, maybe. Or a Dell with Linux. Or this Dell, for a desktop.

If you are sold on Apple, I definitely agree with those who say try it out in a store and see how you feel about it. Is it intuitive for you? And do you like how their products feel? Now, I'm typing from an Apple product, so I'm not slamming them but I found out that I just don't care for how some of their products feel.

I love macs and have only ever used macs. However, I agree with the other posters who say you should try out a mac before you make the purchase because it is a lot of money for the casual use that you require. I say this because a friend of mine recently jumped on the mac bandwagon, after years of hearing me sing the praises of my mac and how little trouble it caused me, etc. She bought a macbook pro and is now questioning whether the over $1,000 price tag was worth it for her uses--she could have had a pc laptop for much less. For ME everything that came with that price tag would be worth it--the OS, the ease of use, the few mac viruses, the programs like iPhoto and iMovie, but for someone used to a pc interface and comfortable with pc programs, my friend has not seen the benefit, and she is a casual user like the OP.

My computer experience, the purchaser and casual user in a mixed family of mac and pc users, has shown me that there isn't a lot of difference in reliability. IF, that is in all caps for a reason, you custom build and end up paying an equivalent amount to a mac on your pc. If you get an off the shelf pc for cheap, you get a computer/laptop that will last you for a few months before problems set in. The warranty, HAHAHAHA. They take them and keep them until the warranty runs out then laugh at you. Apple? if you have problems, which is unusual, they fix it or just replace it. I am surprised to say, after many years of insisting that Apples are superior, that my girls have Vaio laptops that are fantastic. However, I paid as much for them as a MacBook Pro. We've had no issues with them. When we thought we did :o , a simple phone call to excellent customer service solved it quickly (it was a problem with the user not the machine). My kids are more than casual users. They do all kinds of stuff with theirs...