Menu

Would you allow your 15/16 yo design her own curriculum

Provided she covered all the needed subjects? What if it is a dramatic variation of what you originally had scheduled?

No.

Select courses she wants to study- yes, provided all core subjects are covered (i.e. pick a science, pick a foreign language, focus area of history, literature period, books for lit course...)

Select the best curriculum and material for her course- no, because she does not possess the subject expertise to discern between different quality math and science curricula, for example.

Edited by regentrude

Yup! Provided it made sense for her, I sure would, and as long as she isn't doing it simply to make it easier. At this stage, I think it is perfectly appropriate for a young person to start directing their studies. In public high school they would be selecting their own classes anyway.

However, I wouldn't give total free reign. I'd say that I need to review the selections and they would need to advocate for themselves and explain why they selected what they did. I would make sure they are covering the bases. But if a student "buys into" their own studies, what could be better? They will be engaged completely, and will work diligently at it because they feel they have some control. Nothing wrong with that, as long as they are not shirking responsibilities.

Cindy

Provided she covered all the needed subjects? What if it is a dramatic variation of what you originally had scheduled?

Ds and I compromised. I let him choose some subjects, but as Regentrude noted my ds doesn't have the experience to pick what might work best. He also doesn't have my research skills and a good understanding of our budget concerns.

Our 9th grade year does look vastly different than I had originally planned. However, I've outlined a 4 year plan with MY requirements for subject coverage. He will have some say on HOW to cover some of these.

Because I have to have time to plan, I made the rule that classes must be decided by spring for the fall term. For instance, I am planning a Star Trek elective that is morphing into covering portions of science as well. It will still meet My requirements and I will do the planning, but it's his interest.

By keeping my involvement, I can make sure we are covering the skills I believe are important as well. He doesn't grasp the progression we need, or the long-range goals I have.

We had a lot of discussion prior to this year. He fought hard to stop a few subjects and negotiated to introduce a few more.

if they choose their own college classes, or see clearly how fulfilling one requirement they wouldn't otherwise choose will help them achieve their ultimate goal, they can be quite dedicated to this as well, as I've seen in my dd 16.

I can see choosing a college class - because there is an instructor who is an expert in the field and who will be able to choose the best teaching materials for his purpose.

But did you let your DD choose which precalculus text to work with? How can a student who has not studied the subject decide which is a good text and which is not? I can't imagine how this is supposed to work.

ETA: My DD chooses most of her resources for English herself and uses a variety of different things, not unlike your DD. But for a subject that must by its very nature be structured, I just don't see how the student can pick the curriculum.

Edited by regentrude

ETA: My DD chooses most of her resources for English herself and uses a variety of different things, not unlike your DD. But for a subject that must by its very nature be structured, I just don't see how the student can pick the curriculum.

Well, it would be relatively easy for the parent to say "Here is the list of Precalculus courses/books I will approve; you choose within them, or if there is something you want that is not on the list, ask me and I will investigate."

Well, it would be relatively easy for the parent to say "Here is the list of Precalculus courses/books I will approve; you choose within them, or if there is something you want that is not on the list, ask me and I will investigate."

Sure. That's just not what I' understood as "student selecting his own curriculum." It would still require a parent to research and make a list.

Because she knows what works best FOR HER.

Dd chooses math in much the same way. She does her research, she compares used copies of several different books, and picks the one that she says "talks the way I understand."

If I thought she'd really picked something awful, I'd say something. But that hasn't happened. Dh is a scientist who has taught mathematics, chemistry, and thermodynamics; he has looked her book over after the fact and finds it quite acceptable. I'm really not worried.

Thanks for explaining her process - sounds great.

Maybe I am too picky about math ;-) I want the finer points of the explanations and the kind of problems "just so".

Yes, subject to my approval. At this point, dd has made her requests for next year. She found MFW's Ancient program looks very interesting to her, she'd like to continue with the next level of the math program she is currently using, and she'd like me to help her find a zoology program. I have no reason not to approve it. :001_smile:

I take the kids' input VERY VERY seriously. After all, the education they are receiving should prepare THEM for THEIR lives.

I see curriculum and class selection for older teens as an ongoing discussion between the parents and kids so everyone is sort of satisfied with the choices made.

I can't imagine just turning a kid loose and saying, "Whatever you want to do is fine."

Yes, I did so last year with ds 16 for one subject. He wanted to study world religions and essentially planned his own studies. He read and wrote about what he studied. The books he came home from the library with were impressive. Not books I'd choose to curl up with in the evening. :001_huh: Ds and I both were pleased with the result. :001_smile:

ETA: Ds did create a syllabus for me to approve before we started. I simply left him to choose his own books from the library, since he was choosing far more academic books than I would have.

Edited by coffeegal

I work w/my kids to design their courses. We discuss what they want to study and I spend time pulling together resource options. Then we reconvene and work together to decide what they want to use, etc.

However, I cannot imagine them doing it completely on their own. I have spent yrs navigating curriculum, state laws, college admissions. Even w/our designing their courses together, I control pace and output. The only exception in our homeschool is for "specialized" courses where they are delving into topics that are non-standard and are really their "babies." For example, ds designed a dark matter study this yr that I am hands-off of. (However, he didn't design it "blind." He went to an astronomy camp this past summer and did a research project on dark matter; he is using TC's dark matter lectures and some of their suggested resources; he researched various professionals and college courses and what titles they discuss, etc. He presented me w/a syllabus and I know exactly what he is covering when (well, "what" materials, I make no claims of understanding the "what" of the content!!! ;) )

At the end of the day, I am the one that is legally responsible for their transcripts. I have no qualms about the grades or credits they receive b/c I know exactly what went into the courses and grades.

My children have always picked a large portion of their high school studies. We do a lot at our local university and the kids have made most of the decisions on their classes--with my input. Navy girl picked some pretty random things: architecture, pilot's license, WSI, textiles and calculus!

I think the above is completely appropriate. My kids have immense influence on what they study. It is sill via guided discussion, but they have a lot of input. (but somethings are non-negotiable. For example, my ds would opt to have nothing but multiple physics and chemistry courses on his transcript and skip right over biology. :tongue_smilie:)

I interpreted the OP as asking about a student starting from scratch and picking out all materials on her own, developing her own syllabus, etc.....in essence creating all aspects of all courses, not selecting pre-fab courses for subject matter or what courses to study, etc. Perhaps I misunderstood. :confused:

To a point, yes. It began when dd hated our combination history/LA curriculum in 9th grade (Notgrass). Thinking she would realize how wonderful it was when she saw other options out there, I showed her a sample of Christian Light Education (the same thing as those light unit packs, whatever curriculum that is). To my complete disappointment, she *loved* it, and followed that in history for two years. She also made a request in English, which I approved, choosing a curriculum we'd used in the past.

Since then, she's been more proactive in choosing her courses. Of course, I have to "approve" it on some level, even if that means letting her use something I would never choose. The balance has been advantageous though. I'd rather have her happily adequately covering history and devoting real effort than fighting over something more in depth that she feels is such a bad fit. It's not like she's trying to get out of work; rather, she's able to devote more time to subjects that interest her. The time she's spent on these (world language studies, and Native American studies) easily transitioned into credit on her transcript and gave her wonderful subject matter for many of her college app essays (and dual enrollment English class papers). I certainly didn't see that coming 2.5 years ago.

It's been a great lesson for both of us, and giving her growing independence in school work is no different, imo, than the natural independence in all aspects of life that I want my child to gain as she grows into adulthood.

So I responded earlier that I would most certainly let my kids select/direct their education, but I have to add that at this point they really like my decisions and we have seldom made changes. A few times though, I loved something and they hated it so we chucked it and started over. I am trying really, really hard to listen to what they are saying about how they like to approach their education, what they have enjoyed that we have done in the past, and then look at curriculum for the future that fits that. Unlike some folks, we do not live as close to a University as others are lucky enough to do, so pretty much all of high school will be at home, directed by myself. Actually, all the kids thus far like that.

What I do is even with my youngest, show them curriculum I am thinking about, and then ask their opinion. If they give it a thumbs down, I do not even go there and will look for something else entirely different. I regularly (every semester) ask what they are interested in learning, then do the research to find something that might fit, then ask them to look at it for their approval. Truth is, if they don't like it, they won't get much out of it. The other truth is, I can sway them somewhat by doing the research and only presenting items I approve of ahead of time :tongue_smilie:

But, as I have our first son entering high school next year, I actually WANT him to own his education more than he does currently. It is HIS life, I want to guide him down paths that fit for him, but I want him to learn to advocate for himself and be self-directing for his future. Better to practice it now, while at home, than later on when he is on his own and doesn't have the opportunity to reflect with someone as easily about his choices.

I guess I view myself leaning more towards educational facilitator than teacher, and I think noting that perspective is important. While I do teach a lot, I don't see that as my primary role. Some parents do, and they do what is right for them. We are all different in why and how we homeschool, and we learn so much from each other!

Cindy

I was vague on purpose. :)

She is not wanting to revamp all of her subjects just a select few. Math, Latin, science, and debate are all non-negotiables. She is starting to focus on a possible career choice and wanting to tailor her classes toward that goal. We started the year with MFW AHL and select chapters of Omnibus I and IV. She is really wanting to move away from ancients and focus on the next time period and expresses interest in British literature. It is not for overload reasons, quite the contrary, she has expressed the need to be challenged. This is her tenth grade year so I am inclined to allow her a little more freedom. I just needed the hive's thoughts (permission?) before I did this.

It is so interesting to read of the different approaches people have....

In high school, ds3 would sometimes choose among various texts - if I wanted to make sure of a fit. Usually that worked fine, though for one subject it didn't (I had offered a text that later I regretted). He didn't have much in the way of options for courses due to requirements for his umbrella school and university here and due to having two foreign languages for years...

For dd, we'll still have most of the same requirements but she really thrives on choice, so I'll see what we can incorporate of these ideas into her education...

I buy books all the time for learning about a particular subject, not because they're the ones that get the best reviews or are most rigorous, but because they suit the way I learn, I know I'll actually get through them, and I enjoy them. I do look up the author's credentials, compare different books on the topic/subject, and read reviews, even if I don't go with what the most reviewers rave over.

Dd chooses math in much the same way. She does her research, she compares used copies of several different books, and picks the one that she says "talks the way I understand."

If I thought she'd really picked something awful, I'd say something. But that hasn't happened. Dh is a scientist who has taught mathematics, chemistry, and thermodynamics; he has looked her book over after the fact and finds it quite acceptable. I'm really not worried.

The thing that struck me about your post is that it seems that she has learned from your good example....maybe you have involved her in earlier years or she's been able to observe the process? and then she has learned how to be selective....so it seems like 'family culture' would make a big difference in how much a young person could be trusted to choose...

Joan

The more invested the child is in what they are doing, the more they will be enthusiastic about it.

They will also learn, sometimes the hard way, about making the wrong choice. My son HATED the English program he picked one year, but he actually finished it, because it had been his choice. He is very stubborn, and if I had picked it, I don't think he ever would have done it.

I just love seeing kids learn to have control over their own life. I do still think there should be some structure. I like the idea of present several options and letting them choose. On the other hand, this sounds like a very accomplished young lady, who might be able to figure it out herself!

I was vague on purpose. :)

She is not wanting to revamp all of her subjects just a select few. Math, Latin, science, and debate are all non-negotiables. She is starting to focus on a possible career choice and wanting to tailor her classes toward that goal. We started the year with MFW AHL and select chapters of Omnibus I and IV. She is really wanting to move away from ancients and focus on the next time period and expresses interest in British literature. It is not for overload reasons, quite the contrary, she has expressed the need to be challenged. This is her tenth grade year so I am inclined to allow her a little more freedom. I just needed the hive's thoughts (permission?) before I did this.

I'm glad I kept reading. In this case, yes, I would. High school is a time when teens can start to specialize and to start making some of their educational decisions themselves. My first answer would have been along the guided choice line, as most teens don't know what the best choices are. However, when it comes to electives, they should have more say, and when it comes to history, I don't think they have to always have to pursue world history.