Menu

Quick: More advice from Dr. Hive - to call an ambulance or not?

First, let me make it clear that my DD is not in serious respiratory distress. I would not be online if that were the case.

She is however is some mild distress, says it's hard to take a breath in, and can't quite speak in extended sentences. This is our life and I know my DD - what she needs are some hour long treatments, IV steroids and maybe IV mag. This is on the bad side of a flare up for her.

But I have no way at all to get her to the hospital. She needs to go for sure, but this is not a life threatening situation. In this situation is calling an ambulance appropriate or ridiculous? Help?

Why can't you take her to the hospital? Do you know anyone who could take you, like a neighbor? Will your insurance pay, if you call the ambulance under those conditions? How fast would a cab be under the circumstances?

:iagree:

And, when in doubt, call an ambulance if you think she will need to get to a hospital anyway.

Why can't you take her to the hospital? Do you know anyone who could take you, like a neighbor? Will your insurance pay, if you call the ambulance under those conditions? How fast would a cab be under the circumstances?

Car's in the shop. We have probably a dozen friends that could help and none are able to right now. Insurance would pay. I don't know if we can get cabs way out here in the country. I'll check real quick though.

If you can't get a cab easily, call an ambulance. You don't know when this might turn into something more serious.

No cabs out here without prescheduling and mega money. She needs to go but I feel bad calling when this isn't a life threatening emergency. We do this every couple of months but I nearly always have a car.

Ugh. Poor girl.

No cabs out here without prescheduling and mega money. She needs to go but I feel bad calling when this isn't a life threatening emergency. We do this every couple of months but I nearly always have a car.

Ugh. Poor girl.

I'm so sorry for her and you. Please do call because it could become life threatening. Praying for you guys.

:grouphug:

Thank you all. I did. We are at the hospital now and I can't believe what a difference it made for her to get treatment in route. I don't know if I would have had the courage to do it without you all! I felt like I shouldn't somehow...I don't know. We're waiting to see a doctor but she's breathing easier.

Absolutely agree with amo mea filiis.

Are you tracking peak flows? Do you have a neb?

Poor girl and poor mom!

Ds' asthma doesn't bother him nearly as much anymore, but I can relate to scary breathing problems.

Yes. We have a great plan. She just has severely compromised lungs. We track peak flows and have nebs etc.

Thank you all. It's so hard.

yeah call when you need too.

I hesitated a couple of times on calling the police when I was working a neighborhood pool. a friend whose dh was an officer really scolded me. She said that is what they are there for. Because I kind of thought the things were a bit minor, but one involved a child/adult incident and she was like ALWAYS call for that.

Just felt silly to me too.

but I had resolved to call the police from there on out. This is similar. Don't ever hesitate if there is the thought of a need.